Show us your Head-Fi station at it's current state. No old pictures please...
Oct 26, 2021 at 5:35 PM Post #29,687 of 41,164
I have Pro iCan and Soloist 3XP and I am wondering how do you find (if any) differences between iCan Siganture (in SS mode obviously)) and Burson? Considering how hot those two can get I wouldn't keep them running so close.
IMO some audiophiles can easily get paranoid when it comes to class-A amp heat. Class-A amps run hot and they are fine doing so. We shouldn't worry that much. 50-60 Celsius can still be ok.

I have just received the iFi Pro iCan Signature, so I wouldn't go into deep comparisons just yet but my superficial and very initial impressions are: the iCan has a fuller body pretty much equal dynamics and detail retrieval. The 3XP just sounds more organic even though it is 'lighter/thinner' in a way. They are very close but very different at the same time. (Mind I use super charger 3A with the 3XP.)

I love the more organic sound of the 3XP, but I also love the fuller and thicker sound of the iCan Pro Signature even though the subtle nuances are more audible on the 3XP for now. Macro dynamics seem better on the iFi but micro dynamics, space and airiness better on the 3XP.
It is a tough choice and I need much more time to fairly evaluate these two amps. These really are only my very first impressions. A review is coming up in a few weeks with proper comparisons once I had a chance to dive deep into both audio approaches.

Edit: the amps were cramped together for the sake of a picture. Normally they are not this close to each other. (Even though IMO there is no harm in such proximity.)

Last edited:
Oct 26, 2021 at 5:49 PM Post #29,688 of 41,164
A very small, but nice audio corner!

Stax SR-007 Mk2 with Blu-tack mod, SRM-353X and Denafrips Ares 2. I might or hope to one day add SR-009, but for now, this is lovely.

20211019_150943.jpg

Oct 26, 2021 at 5:50 PM Post #29,689 of 41,164
I got a couple of those stax hp bags

Oct 26, 2021 at 6:44 PM Post #29,690 of 41,164
A very small, but nice audio corner!

Stax SR-007 Mk2 with Blu-tack mod, SRM-353X and Denafrips Ares 2. I might or hope to one day add SR-009, but for now, this is lovely.

20211019_150943.jpg
Nice little corner! And your gear footnote has the essence of HeadFism! “(Temporary) Endgame” 😄😜

Oct 26, 2021 at 6:46 PM Post #29,691 of 41,164
Nice little corner! And your gear footnote has the essence of HeadFism! “(Temporary) Endgame” 😄😜
After saying "This will be my last headphone" for so many times, it is mere self-reflection, possibly also induced by the people around me.

Oct 26, 2021 at 6:54 PM Post #29,692 of 41,164
After saying "This will be my last headphone" for so many times, it is mere self-reflection, possibly also induced by the people around me.
Here’s a thought 🤔🤪…if you use/stay with closed-back headphones, you’ll not hear what others say as inducement…

Oct 26, 2021 at 6:57 PM Post #29,693 of 41,164
Here’s a thought 🤔🤪…if you use/stay with closed-back headphones, you’ll not hear what others say as inducement…
That would be possible, were it not that I would then have to listen the horror that closed-back headphones are...

Oct 26, 2021 at 7:02 PM Post #29,694 of 41,164
That would be possible, were it not that I would then have to listen the horror that closed-back headphones are...
There are some excellent c/b headphones: Kennerton Gjallarhorn, Kennerton Rognir, ZMF Verite Closed, ZMF Eikon…. I own several of these.

Oct 26, 2021 at 7:06 PM Post #29,695 of 41,164
There are some excellent c/b headphones: Kennerton Gjallarhorn, Kennerton Rognir, ZMF Verite Closed, ZMF Eikon…. I own several of these.
I suppose it is a personal thing. To each his own.

Oct 26, 2021 at 7:16 PM Post #29,696 of 41,164
Damn i would keep that amp around even if it didnt sound good, what a beauty
Hah! You took the words outta mine mouth. I was going to say that it could sound l like doody and I'd still love it.

Oct 26, 2021 at 7:40 PM Post #29,698 of 41,164
Well said!

Friends & loved ones generally appreciate sanity & predictability from us. They're less happy when they get compulsion and audio mania...

I generally defend myself saying things like, "At least I'm not out robbing liquor stores or gambling away my retirement savings." So far, that's still true.

Last edited:
Oct 26, 2021 at 7:59 PM Post #29,699 of 41,164
Well said!

Friends & loved ones generally appreciate sanity & predictability from us. They're less happy when they get compulsion and audio mania...

I generally defend myself saying things like, "At least I'm not out robbing liquor stores or gambling away my retirement savings." So far, that's still true.
I usually buy second-hand, so my common defense is: "if I do not like it, I can always sell it." This gives great flexibility, allowing one-self to try a wide arrange of gear, to find your sweetspot, but I also see it as a curse: having an easy way out creates a lack of commitment.

I remember my first, truly high-end headphone that I bought, the Rosson Audio Design Rad-0. Buying it was so expensive and the product to me seemed very niche, I thought I would not be able to sell it for at least some years. That was last March, so you can see how that turned out... Point still is, I enjoyed that headphone like no other, simply because I was fully committed to it.

Oct 26, 2021 at 10:24 PM Post #29,700 of 41,164
- Denafrips Ares 2 > SMSL SA300 > Elac UB52
- Topping D90 > Schiit Lokius > Topping A90 > Audeze LCD 5 & LCD X 2021

The xDuoo 604 sometimes I use it with the Denafrips and the Audeze LCD X

20211026_221737-02.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back