Show us your Head-Fi station at it's current state. No old pictures please...
Mar 4, 2020 at 3:27 PM Post #24,933 of 41,301
What's a cost no object dark headphone, no treble peaks, no harshness in upper mids ect. But still detailed

Open back: ZMF Verite Open. It's extremely fast, detailed, yet very ear-friendly, no harshness anywhere. If you can settle for a little less speed & detail, the Meze Empyrean should do the trick. It's beautiful & quite musical (I owned the Meze; heard the VO at length IMS)

Closed back: For my money, it's a toss-up between the ZMF Verite Closed & the ZMF Ori. The latter is a planar headphone w/absolutely crushing bass & the typical ZMF "house sound" (musical, dynamic, not bright/harsh). I own an Ori & heard the VC at length IMS.

(all just my opinion & purely subjective)

Mar 4, 2020 at 5:13 PM Post #24,934 of 41,301
I've been lurking in this thread for years, so time to finally share something. This is my current home office setup.

IMG_2142.jpeg

Mar 4, 2020 at 7:12 PM Post #24,937 of 41,301
Back in August I damage my DAP (Sony ZX2) and it took me a while to find a replacement, while I was looking for a new DAP I had the Dragonfly
connected to my keyboard. Ever since this is how I use my headphone 97% of the time. For me it's convenient, and let me just say that AudioQuest
has a crappy warranty, good thing my local Best Buy took the bent usb plug and gave me a new one, now I keep it on the Dragon Tail all the time.
DSC_8646C.jpg

Mar 4, 2020 at 11:45 PM Post #24,938 of 41,301
I have said this before in this thread, and ill say it again....i need to know what some of you folks do for a living, if you have kids that take 98% of your money, and if you have a partner that also does not enjoy leaving you with any funds for yourself.... i make good money, own a home( not paid off) but i have a "baby momma" and 2 awesome kids, none of the 3 work! Which leaves me w maybe $500 a year to drop into headfi stuff....i am fully honest, jealous of alot of you, but truly appreciative of what i have and happy with my rig/s. Im just trying to figure out how some of you can drop 20k into stuff, in sometimes what seems like 500k-1million dollar homes. Show me the way people....im a fast learner! If its illegal, maybe we can chat in a dark alley somewhere.

Mar 5, 2020 at 6:49 AM Post #24,939 of 41,301
Mar 5, 2020 at 2:13 PM Post #24,940 of 41,301
I have said this before in this thread, and ill say it again....i need to know what some of you folks do for a living, if you have kids that take 98% of your money, and if you have a partner that also does not enjoy leaving you with any funds for yourself.... i make good money, own a home( not paid off) but i have a "baby momma" and 2 awesome kids, none of the 3 work! Which leaves me w maybe $500 a year to drop into headfi stuff....i am fully honest, jealous of alot of you, but truly appreciative of what i have and happy with my rig/s. Im just trying to figure out how some of you can drop 20k into stuff, in sometimes what seems like 500k-1million dollar homes. Show me the way people....im a fast learner! If its illegal, maybe we can chat in a dark alley somewhere.

Some in this thread are actually marketers and they get paid/comp'd to post gear here. I don't think that's terrible or anything, I like looking at nice gear. :wink:

Mar 5, 2020 at 3:14 PM Post #24,941 of 41,301
I have said this before in this thread, and ill say it again....i need to know what some of you folks do for a living, if you have kids that take 98% of your money, and if you have a partner that also does not enjoy leaving you with any funds for yourself.... i make good money, own a home( not paid off) but i have a "baby momma" and 2 awesome kids, none of the 3 work! Which leaves me w maybe $500 a year to drop into head-fi stuff....i am fully honest, jealous of alot of you, but truly appreciative of what i have and happy with my rig/s. Im just trying to figure out how some of you can drop 20k into stuff, in sometimes what seems like 500k-1million dollar homes. Show me the way people....im a fast learner! If its illegal, maybe we can chat in a dark alley somewhere.

some people have two kids and a wife, some are single. 500$ per year it's 5000$ in ten years, you can have a great setup. But otherwise, this is as if you enter a cycling forum, with people with 3 bikes of 6000$ each, etc... many own a bike shop or what not. And of course, there is the rich people, or... I spend average 250$ per year in gear, some years zero, some years 500$... This is cheap nowadays really, and audio stuff lasts a lot if you buy smart.

Mar 5, 2020 at 5:38 PM Post #24,943 of 41,301

I don't want to take this thread off topic because I like that it is mainly just pictures. To answer your questions, I'll just say quickly that I come from a lower middle class background and for my first 10 years as a headphone enthusiast had a Sennheiser HD-600 + Musical Fidelity X-Can and was very very happy with that setup. I've been working for over 35 years as a computer programmer. I'm really lucky that I ended up in a well paying field since I got into it as a teen, without any thought of money, at a time when it did not pay nearly as well as it does now. I'm now in my 50s and I am making the best money of my career. I'm enjoying spending a bit of it on some unnecessary luxuries that make me happy.

Additionally, while expensive, the system pictured was not bought at retail prices. The Realiser is from their Kickstarter. The LCD-4s and the DAC were purchased used.

Lets go back to looking at pictures, shall we?

Last edited:
Mar 6, 2020 at 12:14 AM Post #24,944 of 41,301
Some in this thread are actually marketers and they get paid/comp'd to post gear here. I don't think that's terrible or anything, I like looking at nice gear. :wink:
I legitimately think that there are MAYBE 4 posters on head-fi (including Jude) who you could say this about. If any its not many.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back