Show us your Head-Fi station at it's current state. No old pictures please...
Mar 2, 2020 at 10:54 AM Post #24,916 of 41,315
LOL, if you want ironic, the name of the store was Rock 'n Rye. My father's name was Rocco, so naturally.....

Remember Tung Hoy Chinese restaurant in Larchmont?

Sadly no. When I was in Larchmont my relatives cooked (Italian).

Rock 'n Rye...Rocco. Great names!

Mar 2, 2020 at 9:50 PM Post #24,917 of 41,315
Yamaha HS5? How do you like it?

HS7

To be honest, I don't like them really. They have this tweeters that you get tired of easily and fast... I eq'ed it a bit, I got 1411kbs files instead of mp3... but still. For the price there are not much better things really, I guess, but they lack bass. Rear bass ports don't help either... They seem very clear sounding, but it's because they are more mid's and treeble focused. Again, not bad for the price but... Might be my room and position. Same speakers, I bought them for my dad, he has a big living room, much better speaker placement than here with me, sounds much better there.

Mar 2, 2020 at 10:11 PM Post #24,918 of 41,315
Somewhat. I live ~60 NW of there (Goshen). Had relatives in Larchmont, corporate accts all around Westchester County and friends in Fairfield, CT. So I often drove near Rye. But never visited Playland Park, not sure why...

What struck me about your post was the idea of selling liquor in Rye (you know, rye = form of liquor). It struck me as ironic.

Looks like a Junior ELA.... I had an early Rancilio that I nursed for years, but it finally croaked.. just using the old moccamaster clement design drip these days.

That grinder looks pretty special but I can't place it. My grinder is cheap, as is my my metal pop corn popper, but its fun to cook ones own beans.[/QUOTE]

Last edited:
Mar 2, 2020 at 11:09 PM Post #24,919 of 41,315
HS7

To be honest, I don't like them really. They have this tweeters that you get tired of easily and fast... I eq'ed it a bit, I got 1411kbs files instead of mp3... but still. For the price there are not much better things really, I guess, but they lack bass. Rear bass ports don't help either... They seem very clear sounding, but it's because they are more mid's and treeble focused. Again, not bad for the price but... Might be my room and position. Same speakers, I bought them for my dad, he has a big living room, much better speaker placement than here with me, sounds much better there.

I had a variant of the HS7s modded by ZenPro Audio. But I ended up selling them. As you say, the sound was not ultimately satisfying for me; and yes, it certainly could be my room. Form factor was perfect, but it just didn't prove a good monitor for music appreciation.

Mar 3, 2020 at 1:27 AM Post #24,920 of 41,315
My “desktop” and “portable” setup all rolled into one.

Apple Music w/ bluetooth or Tidal w/ usb -> Q5s w/ AM3D -> MDR-Z1R

Lean & Clean :)

Attachments

• 10F60498-523B-4E8B-9469-746A57BCBA17.jpeg
    10F60498-523B-4E8B-9469-746A57BCBA17.jpeg
    331 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Mar 3, 2020 at 2:43 AM Post #24,921 of 41,315
HS7

Try Dynaudio or Mackie, equally clear but much more enjoyable.

Mar 3, 2020 at 4:24 AM Post #24,922 of 41,315
Mar 3, 2020 at 8:10 AM Post #24,923 of 41,315
Try Dynaudio or Mackie, equally clear but much more enjoyable.

Dynaudio.... mmmm... good. ProAc, Falcon, Verity, Philharmonic, Salk...

Mar 3, 2020 at 11:15 AM Post #24,924 of 41,315
Dynaudio.... mmmm... good. ProAc, Falcon, Verity, Philharmonic, Salk...

Most of those are very well regarded passives. But if you seek powered monitors, there are few audiophile designs to choose from--and many studio/professional designs to choose from.

I used a succession of powered monitors in my desktop system. Still have the Swan M200 MkIII powered speakers stored here. They sounded pretty nice on the desktop and were purpose built for music, rather than tracking or other pro applications where a "forensic" sound is helpful.

There are just a few pro powered monitors said to sound pleasing for music appreciation (certain Genalecs; HEDD 05/07; Eve Audio), but they get pretty expensive--and in some cases, large. For example, the powered version of my ATC monitors, ATC SCM19A, have the same drivers but are quite a bit larger/deeper/more expensive.

Last edited:
Mar 3, 2020 at 2:22 PM Post #24,925 of 41,315
Most of those are very well regarded passives. But if you seek powered monitors, there are few audiophile designs to choose from--and many studio/professional designs to choose from.

I used a succession of powered monitors in my desktop system. Still have the Swan M200 MkIII powered speakers stored here. They sounded pretty nice on the desktop and were purpose built for music, rather than tracking or other pro applications where a "forensic" sound is helpful.

There are just a few pro powered monitors said to sound pleasing for music appreciation (certain Genalecs; HEDD 05/07; Eve Audio), but they get pretty expensive--and in some cases, large. For example, the powered version of my ATC monitors, ATC SCM19A, have the same drivers but are quite a bit larger/deeper/more expensive.

Oops missed the powered part - not my area Dynaudios do indeed look good.

Mar 3, 2020 at 3:03 PM Post #24,926 of 41,315
Oops missed the powered part - not my area Dynaudios do indeed look good.

I was a little interested in the Dynaudio 40th anniversary 2-way, but stayed away because it's pricey, also because it's vented.

I've found sealed 2-ways sound best in my space-constrained desktop. I have 2 excellent pairs: the ATC SCM12 Pro's (currently in the system); and Aerial Acoustics 5Bs, which are physically beautiful & sound somewhat different from the ATCs (I'll sell those in the next month or two).

Mar 3, 2020 at 7:57 PM Post #24,927 of 41,315
About powered speakers, all at this price has their own flaws, but if I had to purchase now a set, I would definitely go for a set of ADAM A5T, with or without an extra subwoofer. Or the JBL 305, but better the Adam. And with a larger budget, Adam A7X, or with more money, GENELEC. I would certainly not buy anything that is not properly reviewed at audioscience review, that guy knows how to analyse speakers for sure. And about those other brands, some are over-rated, and many of their products too.

Mar 4, 2020 at 2:24 AM Post #24,928 of 41,315
Mar 4, 2020 at 10:31 AM Post #24,929 of 41,315
Currently on the road. Temporary setup in the hotel room :o2smile:

20200304_192613.jpg

Mar 4, 2020 at 11:28 AM Post #24,930 of 41,315
Currently on the road. Temporary setup in the hotel room :o2smile:

20200304_192613.jpg
Hahaha.
What you call "temporary" is someone else's wet dream :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back