Show us your Head-Fi station at it's current state. No old pictures please...
Sep 29, 2011 at 10:30 PM Post #2,251 of 41,463
1: I'm using a PC keyboard and mouse on both installs (as I hate the Magic Mouse and like my Logitech keyboard more). They work great for both OSes. Makes no difference except for a few button face changes. 

2: One OS is not more efficient than the other. Either can get bogged down with crap. Mac OS will run just as well on identical hardware whether it's actually a Mac or not. Opposite applies for PC. 

tl;dr - Your computer is what you make of it. 

Quote:
I know they are the same, I don't even know why I said that. I was getting at like you might get 2.5ghz performance that you'd get in windows in 1.8ghz on a Mac, you get me? And I am a PC person, I prefer to use my keyboard for the majority of things not my mouse, thank you.

Sep 29, 2011 at 10:37 PM Post #2,252 of 41,463
OK. If only Macs weren't such a premium in price to PCs :p
I am fine with them being even $500 more than a PC simply for the build quality and support Apple has but not the 2x and 3x prices they have on comparable specced windows PCs. I also hate the pricing premium for pre built PCs from Dell, HP etc. At least it's feasible to learn to build your own PC. If only it was the same for laptops..

Quote:
1: I'm using a PC keyboard and mouse on both installs (as I hate the Magic Mouse and like my Logitech keyboard more). They work great for both OSes. Makes no difference except for a few button face changes. 

2: One OS is not more efficient than the other. Either can get bogged down with crap. Mac OS will run just as well on identical hardware whether it's actually a Mac or not. Opposite applies for PC. 

tl;dr - Your computer is what you make of it.  

Sep 29, 2011 at 10:52 PM Post #2,253 of 41,463
If only indeed. 

I'm by no means much of a Mac fan. This is the first I've owned and PCs have been in my family since their creation. (2 generations of 25+ IBMers in my family). Having built (and sold) many rigs of my own I can say that I agree somewhat on the price. 

I think pretty much everything except the iMac is overpriced for what it is. That being said...I do in fact feel that this iMac is worth its asking price. The screen is absolutely gorgeous...and the convenience of not having a full tower under my desk is great for my new (smaller) place. The 27" version accepts input as well (one of the big selling factors for me), so it's essentially everything I need in the size of a 27" monitor. 

I don't have much of an opinion anymore about which is better (value goes to PC of course, but they're fairly similar from there on in my eyes). 

Quote:
OK. If only Macs weren't such a premium in price to PCs :p
I am fine with them being even $500 more than a PC simply for the build quality and support Apple has but not the 2x and 3x prices they have on comparable specced windows PCs. I also hate the pricing premium for pre built PCs from Dell, HP etc. At least it's feasible to learn to build your own PC. If only it was the same for laptops..

Sep 29, 2011 at 10:57 PM Post #2,254 of 41,463
The ability to dual (or triple) boot helps offset the cost a bit for me - I only need one machine, not two or three...

Sep 29, 2011 at 11:33 PM Post #2,255 of 41,463
The problem was not at all with the files I was using.  I used 4000 kbps Rush as a test track, as well as Dream Theater in FLAC.  Nothing was below 320 kbps in the test playlist.  The Lyr provides energy and dynamic, which the HDP already does.  If you have a more laid-back DAC then it would probably work better with the Lyr.

Sep 29, 2011 at 11:39 PM Post #2,256 of 41,463

Quote:
The problem was not at all with the files I was using.  I used 4000 kbps Rush as a test track, as well as Dream Theater in FLAC.  Nothing was below 320 kbps in the test playlist.  The Lyr provides energy and dynamic, which the HDP already does.  If you have a more laid-back DAC then it would probably work better with the Lyr.

Rush and Dream Theater... You are blessed among men with a great taste of music my friend! 

Sep 29, 2011 at 11:41 PM Post #2,257 of 41,463

Quote:
Rush and Dream Theater... You are blessed among men with a great taste of music my friend! 

I have acquired a vast catalog of music over the years.  Of course having said this, a veteran Head-Fi'er will descend from Gallifrey and reveal his/her FLAC collection of 100,000 songs.

Sep 30, 2011 at 12:21 AM Post #2,258 of 41,463

Quote:
I have acquired a vast catalog of music over the years.  Of course having said this, a veteran Head-Fi'er will descend from Gallifrey and reveal his/her FLAC collection of 100,000 songs.

Dr who reference and prog.
Damn.
um, have a listen to this, its only a youtube vid, but ahh well,
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vg-ckPPOA-4
better tracks are available on their soundcloud, or just buy the Ep, really good prog

sorry for any derail/

Sep 30, 2011 at 2:34 AM Post #2,259 of 41,463

Quote:

At least find some music with a talented drummer!

wink.gif

Sep 30, 2011 at 6:17 AM Post #2,261 of 41,463
Small change to my keyboard.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back