Show us your Head-Fi station at it's current state. No old pictures please...
Aug 22, 2011 at 11:28 PM Post #1,832 of 41,462
You got the 6970m, which is not the the fullsize 6970 he has. Unless you managed to shoe-horn a double slot card into an imac :p

That's what I meant. I was more makjng a point about his card rather than mine. I think he'll be able to run it just fine without a new card.

Let me rephrase to make you happy. 'I just got the mobile version of that card in my new iMac. Performs well so far.' There, happy?

Aug 23, 2011 at 6:22 AM Post #1,833 of 41,462

Quote:
MK III nice.    What mods were done to your Dynaco? Enjoying my ST-70 for many years now.

Real diode replaced the selenium one, upgraded caps all over, separate bias test points for both power tubes, independent bias control for each tube vs. the stock combined control, AC bias control, banana jacks, IEC power connector, etc.

Aug 24, 2011 at 6:43 AM Post #1,834 of 41,462
These speakers are kind of close to together as well:

http://www.gianfaldoni.com/

(disclaimer: not my head-fi station)

Aug 24, 2011 at 9:23 AM Post #1,836 of 41,462
Heya,

I removed all my collection to make it simple to bid farewell to the Ultrasone Pro 900's seen in this photo. This is my basic triple monitor setup. Featuring inexpensive M-Audio AV40's with the Matrix Cube DAC (which can feed a 2nd headphone at the same time as feeding the AV40's and the LDMK3), a Little Dot MK III and the Ultrasone Pro 900. Desk was built by me from scratch. Headphone stand is red oak, also built by me from scratch. Alas, Pro 900's sold, they're shipping away this morning. So farewell to them.

Very best,

Aug 24, 2011 at 9:26 AM Post #1,837 of 41,462
Heya,

I removed all my collection to make it simple to bid farewell to the Ultrasone Pro 900's seen in this photo. This is my basic triple monitor setup. Featuring inexpensive M-Audio M40's with the Matrix Cube DAC (which can feed a 2nd headphone at the same time as feeding the M40's and the LDMK3), a Little Dot MK III and the Ultrasone Pro 900. Desk was built by me from scratch. Headphone stand is red oak, also built by me from scratch. Alas, Pro 900's sold, they're shipping away this morning. So farewell to them.

Very best,

Why are they leaving? Also, how are those M40s?

Aug 24, 2011 at 9:44 AM Post #1,838 of 41,462

Quote:
Why are they leaving? Also, how are those M40s?

Heya,

Typo on my part, they're the AV40's, edited to reflect that. I like them. They're very detailed and pretty accurate little monitors. I got them because they can travel. They're self powered so I can literally just plug them into the wall at a friend's house, my Sansa Fuze outputs to them and voila, music on the go for more than one person. I use them when I'm not doing any particular listening on headphones for basic tasky stuff, like browsing, youtube, etc. Which means they're rarely on, since I 99% wear headphones when listening to music. Again, I mainly take them with me to places to setup a portable music station essentially (Sansa Fuze + AV40's).

The PRO 900's were glorious with bass. But, they were not my favorite headphone for acoustic & female vocals which I listen to a lot as well. I recently went with the HE-500, which is actually quite bassy for an open-headphone, and it more than covers my bass needs, while still having the generous mids and highs of something more like the SRH940. I had been looking for a headphone that basically combined the strength of the SRH940 and the PRO900 into one phone, and found it in the HE-500. So, sold off my mid-tier headphones immediately. Last one ships out today, the PRO 900. And actually will be selling the Little Dot MK III seen there in the photo soon too as I have no use for it anymore.

Very best,

Aug 24, 2011 at 9:48 AM Post #1,839 of 41,462
Heya,

Typo on my part, they're the AV40's, edited to reflect that. I like them. They're very detailed and pretty accurate little monitors. I got them because they can travel. They're self powered so I can literally just plug them into the wall at a friend's house, my Sansa Fuze outputs to them and voila, music on the go for more than one person. I use them when I'm not doing any particular listening on headphones for basic tasky stuff, like browsing, youtube, etc. Which means they're rarely on, since I 99% wear headphones when listening to music. Again, I mainly take them with me to places to setup a portable music station essentially (Sansa Fuze + AV40's).

The PRO 900's were glorious with bass. But, they were not my favorite headphone for acoustic & female vocals which I listen to a lot as well. I recently went with the HE-500, which is actually quite bassy for an open-headphone, and it more than covers my bass needs, while still having the generous mids and highs of something more like the SRH940. I had been looking for a headphone that basically combined the strength of the SRH940 and the PRO900 into one phone, and found it in the HE-500. So, sold off my mid-tier headphones immediately. Last one ships out today, the PRO 900. And actually will be selling the Little Dot MK III seen there in the photo soon too as I have no use for it anymore.

Very best,

Awesome choice. The HE500 are my favorite headphones ever. Sold mine because I was too invested in the hobby, but they made me a mid-head.

Aug 24, 2011 at 11:12 AM Post #1,841 of 41,462

Quote:
nice pictures malveaux how good are your speakers ? :)

Heya,

They're decent, they're very much entry-level. Again, I went with the AV40's because they're pretty portable, self powered (no receiver/amp required separately), and hook up to virtually anything that has RCA/3.5mm/1/4" terminations. The fidelity of the AV40's is rather good. The only thing they can't really reproduce is sub-bass. They're monitors after all. They're more favored in the computer enthusiast community since they're self powered and hook up to anything (so easy to get some entry hifi monitors onto a desk that are not logicraps or something heh).

Re-doing my setup now, since I have the HE-500. Gotta re-organize a setup for them to be centered in and move those monitors over to the computer.

I have a few entry level monitors though. My favorite entry monitor is the Monitor 40 series by Polk. The smaller guy is the Monitor 30 by Polk which I don't like nearly as much. The Monitor 40 though bosses things around, it's range is great, and can do bassy stuff to when needed which is usually tough for a little monitor (not that they're small, but they're smaller than full sized tower speakers).

Very best,

Aug 24, 2011 at 1:07 PM Post #1,842 of 41,462

Quote:
These speakers are kind of close to together as well:

http://www.gianfaldoni.com/

(disclaimer: not my head-fi station)

WOW!
eek.gif
How ornate and beautiful

Aug 24, 2011 at 6:23 PM Post #1,843 of 41,462

Quote:
MK III nice.    What mods were done to your Dynaco? Enjoying my ST-70 for many years now.

MKIII are nice. I have been enjoying my modded ST-70 for a few months as well. You can really do a lot to these old Dynas.
Here's mine that Will Vincent built for me.

Aug 25, 2011 at 1:00 PM Post #1,845 of 41,462
LiqTenExp. cool.  Im sure those sound great.

Very Nice Ringing Ears. i think I saw your amp in another thread.  Ive seen and heard a few upgraded ST-70s but I have been reluctant to do the major overhaul type of upgrade.  I like the stock look and sound.  Could it be better? maybe.  In the future, when I can rock out my speakers I may do a Van Alstine or Curico audio mod. I will check out will vincent also.  Awesome casework.  White powdercoat? Is that a power button on the front?  To me, that little conveinience is worth alot more than the sonic upgrades Ive auditioned.  Auto bias system would be nice to have too.

Dyna rules!   

Users who are viewing this thread

Back