Show us your Head-Fi station at it's current state. No old pictures please...
Feb 5, 2014 at 5:21 AM Post #16,966 of 41,248
he, he,

don't worry all the weight is on the shelf, it's important not to excessively bent the cable where it enters the plug

i'll add another observation to my previous impressions, and that is, both the conductor and the violectric combo, are 1st class music instruments, can't go wrong with either, but it's awesome to have both

however there's is still space on the shelf that needs to be filled, with some glowing incandescent tubes perhaps :tongue_smile:

Just out of curiosity, which headphones do you listen to with the volume set at that level? I couldn't keep it below 12 o'clock.

Feb 5, 2014 at 6:07 AM Post #16,967 of 41,248
12 o'clock at medium gain is quite loud, even chesky recordings sound plenty loud at that setting for me, both on hd800 and lcd3, i go louder too, but since i use headphone for like 8h a day, lol, i care to preserve my hearing, between 9-12 most of the time, but when enjoying a pure listening immersion session i like to go LOUD

since i started using headphones more frequently, while having listening sessions on speakers with others, i find myself setting the volume at levels others feel discomfort at, probably cos the detail and dynamics on speakers at lower volumes can't match the headphone experience, aside from that i like the excitement of feeling the beats, hits and riffs in my guts and thorax
smily_headphones1.gif

enjoy music at safe levels, don't overly abuse your hearing, train your hearing at low volumes and you'll find moderate levels are plenty loud enough

edit: or maybe it might just be that your conductor is faulty
tongue_smile.gif

Feb 5, 2014 at 6:47 AM Post #16,968 of 41,248
roskodan,

Are you ready to give us your impressions on how does the Conductor stack up against V200/V800? (I am particularly curious on how do they compare driving the HD800) 
biggrin.gif

Feb 5, 2014 at 7:15 AM Post #16,969 of 41,248
Feb 5, 2014 at 8:04 AM Post #16,970 of 41,248
12 o'clock at medium gain is quite loud, even chesky recordings sound plenty loud at that setting for me, both on hd800 and lcd3, i go louder too, but since i use headphone for like 8h a day, lol, i care to preserve my hearing, between 9-12 most of the time, but when enjoying a pure listening immersion session i like to go LOUD

since i started using headphones more frequently, while having listening sessions on speakers with others, i find myself setting the volume at levels others feel discomfort at, probably cos the detail and dynamics on speakers at lower volumes can't match the headphone experience, aside from that i like the excitement of feeling the beats, hits and riffs in my guts and thorax :)

enjoy music at safe levels, don't overly abuse your hearing, train your hearing at low volumes and you'll find moderate levels are plenty loud enough

edit: or maybe it might just be that your conductor is faulty :tongue_smile:  

Okay, I'll enjoy music at safe levels :D

I used the low gain setting when I could get away with it. For the Fostex TH-600, LCD-XC etc. For the more demanding planars I used the medium gain and kept it within one or two notches of 12 o'clock, depending on my mood. I'm talking about the HE-500 and LCD-2. LCD-3 are slightly more efficient so you'll probably not need to turn it up so high. Not sure about HD-800 but I remember cranking it up quite high on the high gain with the T1's.

BTW, it looks much better on your shelf than it did on my desk/chest of drawers. I'm glad it's found a good home.

Feb 6, 2014 at 11:25 AM Post #16,973 of 41,248
roskodan,

Are you ready to give us your impressions on how does the Conductor stack up against V200/V800? (I am particularly curious on how do they compare driving the HD800) :D

I'm going to guess he'll prefer the v200 with the HD800 (based on my experience with the Soloist and T1 - which wasn't warm enough for my tastes, but some people like that paring.)

Mike

Feb 6, 2014 at 3:14 PM Post #16,976 of 41,248
And now for something not so clean and minimalistic....

Here's an overhead shot of my all battery-powered Concero > Bushmaster MkII > MG3 > HD800 rig and a quick video tour, just for fun!  

I'm absolutely thrilled with the way this sounds...

L3000.gif

/img/vimeo_logo.png

The song is Please Don't Let Me Be Misunderstood, performed by Meshell Ndegeocello, from the album A Dedication to Nina Simone.

Mike

Feb 6, 2014 at 3:20 PM Post #16,977 of 41,248

Wow! That's a really clean, minimalistic setup! How are you liking the X1?
smile_phones.gif

The X1 is brilliant :) I can't see myself wanting to upgrade them for many may years! I bought the HD598 as well and returned them due to the X1 being so good.

Here's an overhead shot of my all battery-powered Concero > Bushmaster MkII > MG3 > HD800 rig and a two-part MOV file, just for fun!  

L3000.gif

http://www.accessz.com/images/Audio/Concero--Bushmaster_MkII--TBI_MG3--HD800-Part1.MOV   

http://www.accessz.com/images/Audio/Concero--Bushmaster_MkII--TBI_MG3--HD800-Part2.MOV

If these don't play correctly in your browser, right-click and save to your hard drive, then double-click to play (requires Quicktime).

The song is Please Don't Let Me Be Misunderstood, performed by Meshell Ndegeocello, from the album A Dedication to Nina Simone.

Mike

Whoah now, that is complex!

Feb 6, 2014 at 9:26 PM Post #16,980 of 41,248

Here's an overhead shot of my all battery-powered Concero > Bushmaster MkII > MG3 > HD800 rig and a two-part MOV file, just for fun!  

:L3000:

http://www.accessz.com/images/Audio/Concero--Bushmaster_MkII--TBI_MG3--HD800-Part1.MOV   

http://www.accessz.com/images/Audio/Concero--Bushmaster_MkII--TBI_MG3--HD800-Part2.MOV

If these don't play correctly in your browser, right-click and save to your hard drive, then double-click to play (requires Quicktime).

Mike
hey Mike, have I ever gotten around to telling you that you're absolutely bonkers?? In the right kind of way of course :wink:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back