Show us your Head-Fi station at it's current state. No old pictures please...
Jan 2, 2014 at 1:43 PM Post #16,396 of 41,149
  The only 'wow' effect I got from my HD800 was from its soundstage, its scary good. 

Other than the soundstage and its comfort scale, I found the HD800 to be a tad boring.

yep, most of the time, nothing stands out of this phone.
But, it is like cigarets, once you get use to it, it is very hard to get yourself off the hook.
Lots of times, you have to train your ear to look for those small easy to miss difference, once you notice they are there, it is impossible to live without them~~~

Or, you will still end up hating the phone regardless.

Headfi is personal. There is no right or wrong answers.
It's like, personally I really do not like the sound and design of  Grado. I think they only worth 1/10 of its listing price. There is no real development cost or technology behind it.
However, I cannot say that the phone is junk and people like it are stupid. No, there is a reason for people to say those things and I think they are perfectly valid points. 

So, I think HD800 is boring, and I am just a person like boring sound. (Well, I guess I might need some LCD excitement soon~~~)

Jan 2, 2014 at 2:04 PM Post #16,397 of 41,149
  The only 'wow' effect I got from my HD800 was from its soundstage, its scary good. 

Other than the soundstage and its comfort scale, I found the HD800 to be a tad boring.

I agree sooo much 

Jan 2, 2014 at 3:17 PM Post #16,399 of 41,149
I have put the HD800 through these amps Magni,Vali,Valhalla ,Bottlehead Crack and speedball,DNA Sonett,Phonitor,Gs-x2 and beta 22 and if i was forced to use the HD800 it would be with the Bottlehead Crack and speedball  or the GGS-X2 These amps brought some life to the Headphone and yet kept all of its other qualities. Added a bit more lower end presences to the sound which i think i needed a bit more.

Jan 2, 2014 at 3:51 PM Post #16,401 of 41,149
Despite my dislikes of the HD800, I have to admit, they are capable of exhibiting relentless speed.

Jan 2, 2014 at 5:15 PM Post #16,402 of 41,149
  I find the HD800 a picky headphone however. I've heard it through a variety of amplifiers and found it came alive with Decware amplification.

+1

The HD800's love the CSP2+ and CSP3+ amps. Very nice with the Taboo MK III as well!

Jan 2, 2014 at 5:15 PM Post #16,403 of 41,149
There are a couple mods out there for the HD800s which make then sound so much better.  Well to my ears anyway.  I forget exactly which mod it was but it was bassier and the treble was less peaky while still retaining its wonderful imaging and soundstage. If you find the HD800s boring that might be an option.  

Also a side note but I don't think sennhieser has a "house" sound.  All of their headphones sound different.  

Jan 2, 2014 at 5:25 PM Post #16,404 of 41,149
  There are a couple mods out there for the HD800s which make then sound so much better.  Well to my ears anyway.  I forget exactly which mod it was but it was bassier and the treble was less peaky while still retaining its wonderful imaging and soundstage. If you find the HD800s boring that might be an option.  

Also a side note but I don't think sennhieser has a "house" sound.  All of their headphones sound different.  

What they said will be the HD650 sound that all their mid tire and low tire followed~~~
Warn and bassy~~

Jan 2, 2014 at 5:27 PM Post #16,405 of 41,149

I believe you are referring to the anax mod (forgive me if I misspelled it).

While you may get just a flick of more bass, I felt that it came with the cost of slightly collapsed soundstage. For me, that was a big 'no-no' on the HD800.

Jan 2, 2014 at 5:31 PM Post #16,406 of 41,149
I believe you are referring to the anax mod (forgive me if I misspelled it).

While you may get just a flick of more bass, I felt that it came with the cost of slightly collapsed soundstage. For me, that was a big 'no-no' on the HD800.

This was a modded Anax mod if I remember correctly.  I think it was Purrin, a member on the forums, who let me listen to it and it was something he developed.  I don't know but I remember it sounded good.  

Jan 2, 2014 at 5:47 PM Post #16,407 of 41,149
I think I'm lucky that I discovered synergy with vintage amps and the HD800. Warmth, detail, smoothness. Couldn't ask for anything more :D Well, until I hear anything better that is.

Jan 2, 2014 at 8:02 PM Post #16,408 of 41,149
The HD800 are easily my pick for best dynamic can. That being said I HATED them first listen. Didn't try them again until I invested a lot of money into source and amp. Made all the difference.

Jan 2, 2014 at 10:59 PM Post #16,409 of 41,149
How about a gratuitous Tube shot from my Cary SLI-80?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back