Show us your Head-Fi station at it's current state. No old pictures please...
Jan 1, 2014 at 9:20 PM Post #16,382 of 41,149
Hi,

I used a Canon 5D Mark 3 and Sigma 35mm 1.4 DG. I have lighting manually controlled (bounced speedlite).

Very nice, mrk...jealous of the 5D. I have the mk 1 on loan from my uncle. :D

Btw, how did you get that grayish tone in the Fidelio X1 thread. Great compositions too!

Jan 1, 2014 at 9:31 PM Post #16,383 of 41,149

iphone shot :wink:

Jan 1, 2014 at 9:36 PM Post #16,385 of 41,149

Re-configuring my system.Sold HD800 and have SR 507 instead.Keep,the Bottlehead Crack for my HD600 but sold my Woo WA6.Will get my vintage Pioneer SX1010 receiver back from the tech and hopefully will be a good match with Stax.

Jan 1, 2014 at 10:21 PM Post #16,386 of 41,149
  O, you can get that close with the 35mm..  Cool.  almost looks like a macro.  I'm looking at the Sigma 18-250 f/3.5-6.3

You can get closer :) Close focus distance is quite good on the 35mm.

Very nice, mrk...jealous of the 5D. I have the mk 1 on loan from my uncle.
biggrin.gif

Btw, how did you get that grayish tone in the Fidelio X1 thread. Great compositions too!

The colour tone is my custom preset in Lightroom., I use it for wedding portraits but it seems to be more universally usable in everything else I shoot too so just use it on everything now :p

Jan 1, 2014 at 10:48 PM Post #16,387 of 41,149

Re-configuring my system.Sold HD800 and have SR 507 instead.Keep,the Bottlehead Crack for my HD600 but sold my Woo WA6.Will get my vintage Pioneer SX1010 receiver back from the tech and hopefully will be a good match with Stax.

How was it coming to SR-507 from HD800?

Jan 1, 2014 at 11:03 PM Post #16,388 of 41,149
Still have to wait for my Pioneer SX1010 to come back from the tech to drive them properly.As much as I loved the HD800 there was something artificial about them.As I said in the HD800 thread,I thought they had a wafer thin layer of meatiness that gave me an illusion of the "real thing" but it still was only an illusion,
Like a tromp l'oeil wall painting!
The SR 507 seem to be more organic in the way the sound is presented.They are ultra clear but still have a good bass.Mind,this is on a cheap speaker amp via energiser.
Don't miss the HD800 at all!

Jan 2, 2014 at 4:51 AM Post #16,389 of 41,149
Still have to wait for my Pioneer SX1010 to come back from the tech to drive them properly.As much as I loved the HD800 there was something artificial about them.As I said in the HD800 thread,I thought they had a wafer thin layer of meatiness that gave me an illusion of the "real thing" but it still was only an illusion,
Like a tromp l'oeil wall painting!
The SR 507 seem to be more organic in the way the sound is presented.They are ultra clear but still have a good bass.Mind,this is on a cheap speaker amp via energiser.
Don't miss the HD800 at all!

This is so difficult, this HD800 thing. Every time I decide that, yes, I definitely need to get them, another comment like this one comes along. 'The illusion of the real thing' - that's what I get with my Q701s and want to get away from while regretting their airiness and sense of space.  'Meatiness' and musicality is what I get from the HD650s. I was hoping that the HD800s would give me the Sennheiser house sound with more soundstage and detail, but 'the illusion of the real thing' is not what I want! Aaargh !
confused.gif

Jan 2, 2014 at 7:25 AM Post #16,390 of 41,149
  This is so difficult, this HD800 thing. Every time I decide that, yes, I definitely need to get them, another comment like this one comes along. 'The illusion of the real thing' - that's what I get with my Q701s and want to get away from while regretting their airiness and sense of space.  'Meatiness' and musicality is what I get from the HD650s. I was hoping that the HD800s would give me the Sennheiser house sound with more soundstage and detail, but 'the illusion of the real thing' is not what I want! Aaargh !
confused.gif

In my opinion, HD800 may at times sound artificial solely because of its transparency. It does not have any house sound signature, it's so transparent some may perceive it as artificial IMO. If you are looking for more soundstage and better imaging, HD800 won't fail you. But if you are looking for 'meatiness' and musicality, LCD-2 or 3 would be a better choice. I've never listened to the LCD-3, but the LCD-2 is so musical I found myself thinking about it at times, even when listening to the HD800.

Simply put, no, HD800 will not give you the Sennheiser house sound.

Jan 2, 2014 at 11:49 AM Post #16,391 of 41,149

In my opinion, HD800 may at times sound artificial solely because of its transparency. It does not have any house sound signature, it's so transparent some may perceive it as artificial IMO. If you are looking for more soundstage and better imaging, HD800 won't fail you. But if you are looking for 'meatiness' and musicality, LCD-2 or 3 would be a better choice. I've never listened to the LCD-3, but the LCD-2 is so musical I found myself thinking about it at times, even when listening to the HD800.

I will not say HD800 is artificial, but I do agree it it very transparent.
The fact that it is transparent, makes it good to transfer all the information contains in the recording  to your ear. If the recording itself is a masterpiece, it will sound lively with full emotions. If your amp is powerful enough, the phone can be "bassy" or "fast" depends on the mood of the recording. Because the phone itself is "tasteless", it makes the original flavor of the recording stands out more easily. It makes you enjoying the music more compare to the the phone itself.

There is nothing wrong with added coloring and flavor to the headphone which do make many recordings sounds better to your ears. However, I guess I am the type of guy that willing to spend more time to find a better recording instead of "better" phone for the same recording. 

This is just some different approach I want to share.

P.S.
I was also looking for a close phone for my office. LCD-XC looks promising, but do they make it more comfortable?

Jan 2, 2014 at 12:06 PM Post #16,392 of 41,149
If the HD800's sound artificial its down to what they are being fed. They are 98% transparent (to put a silly crude figure on it), the 2% colouring at about 6khz giving a bit of treble emphasis. But this is no more than a lot of other quality hp's. Only unlike other hp's, it stands out more with the HD800's as they aren't coloured anywhere else in the frequency response. I think they have more in common with the HD600 than Q701 in regards to tonality and depth. But you could mould both those hp's, improve on every area and then you have an idea of how good they are. 

Jan 2, 2014 at 12:56 PM Post #16,393 of 41,149

I will not say HD800 is artificial, but I do agree it it very transparent.
The fact that it is transparent, makes it good to transfer all the information contains in the recording  to your ear. If the recording itself is a masterpiece, it will sound lively with full emotions. If your amp is powerful enough, the phone can be "bassy" or "fast" depends on the mood of the recording. Because the phone itself is "tasteless", it makes the original flavor of the recording stands out more easily. It makes you enjoying the music more compare to the the phone itself.

There is nothing wrong with added coloring and flavor to the headphone which do make many recordings sounds better to your ears. However, I guess I am the type of guy that willing to spend more time to find a better recording instead of "better" phone for the same recording. 

This is just some different approach I want to share.

P.S.
I was also looking for a close phone for my office. LCD-XC looks promising, but do they make it more comfortable?

Dont count on it.

Jan 2, 2014 at 1:01 PM Post #16,394 of 41,149
The only 'wow' effect I got from my HD800 was from its soundstage, its scary good. 

Other than the soundstage and its comfort scale, I found the HD800 to be a tad boring.

Jan 2, 2014 at 1:34 PM Post #16,395 of 41,149

Users who are viewing this thread

Back