Should I replace my Sennheiser HD25-1 ii's with something else?
Sep 7, 2012 at 3:05 PM Post #17 of 28
hmm i had some IEM's the UE SuperFi-5's to be exact and they were absolutely wonderful minus the fragility of them. My ear canals took a beating from the daily use of IEM's so I think I'm done with them.
My girlfriend has a pair of the v-moda lp's and although the bass is more prominent than in my HD's, i found the overall sound to be less crisp and of a lower quality as if everything kinda blended as well as the soundstage wasn't too dynamic. Rather than compete in the same area of the HD-25's, is there a set of cans that would be considered an upgrade to them perhaps? I do like my bass but remember I also do some studio work and produce a bit, so I'm looking for a professionally mixed sound just with a high quality low end.

anyone every try the Pioneer HDJ-1500's?

Sep 7, 2012 at 3:29 PM Post #18 of 28
Have you thought about a K181DJ? That's another headphone that should be considered for your genres. It has a wider soundstage than the HDs, better imaging to my ears, and is a bit warmer smoother and laid back. Nice AKG mids and highs.

Sep 7, 2012 at 3:34 PM Post #19 of 28
Quote:
hmm i had some IEM's the UE SuperFi-5's to be exact and they were absolutely wonderful minus the fragility of them. My ear canals took a beating from the daily use of IEM's so I think I'm done with them.
My girlfriend has a pair of the v-moda lp's and although the bass is more prominent than in my HD's, i found the overall sound to be less crisp and of a lower quality as if everything kinda blended as well as the soundstage wasn't too dynamic. Rather than compete in the same area of the HD-25's, is there a set of cans that would be considered an upgrade to them perhaps? I do like my bass but remember I also do some studio work and produce a bit, so I'm looking for a professionally mixed sound just with a high quality low end.

anyone every try the Pioneer HDJ-1500's?

Allen and heath xd53 headphones are the best dj headphones not pioneer..p.s i use grado ps1000 myself, they sound like the speakers in the club!

Sep 7, 2012 at 3:41 PM Post #20 of 28
IMO, the M-80 is a better can than the LP. However, the M-80 is a supra-aural and the LP is more full-size fitting. Overall comfort is better with full-size IMO over supra-aural and maybe you should look into a more portable full-sized headphone? If not both the M-80 and M-100 should be great choices. Also, try looking into the AKG K181 mentioned by Roma above. If none of those fits your criteria, try IEMs. You might be able to find a Westone UM2 around that price that those are VERY easy on the ears. Another good contender are Atrio IEMs and possibly the Audeo PFE1x2 series. They sound someone similar to the HD-25s with smoother treble and deeper extension in the bass. 

Sep 7, 2012 at 3:57 PM Post #21 of 28
Actually I mentioned the K181DJ. :) Big bro to the k81/k518. I own the K81s as well but TBH they are nothing compared to the K181. Slightly more muffled sounding, rolled off highs, and smaller soundstage. The K181 basically fixes all that and is much more balanced across the board with bigger soundstage. The K81 is still a fun headphone.

The three best choices here I'd agree are the: M-80, M-100 or K181.

Sep 7, 2012 at 4:11 PM Post #22 of 28
Quote:
Actually I mentioned the K181DJ. :) Big bro to the k81/k518. I own the K81s as well but TBH they are nothing compared to the K181. Slightly more muffled sounding, rolled off highs, and smaller soundstage. The K181 basically fixes all that and is much more balanced across the board with bigger soundstage. The K81 is still a fun headphone.

The three best choices here I'd agree are the: M-80, M-100 or K181.

oops I meant to say K181!! hahaha

Sep 7, 2012 at 4:33 PM Post #23 of 28
It's all good. I love the sound of mine and wouldn't be selling them if I didn't have comfort issues (due to cartilage piercings). They are really underrated and can compete with the HD25, DT1350, and M-80 IMHO.

Sep 7, 2012 at 4:38 PM Post #24 of 28
I'm not surprised to hear that. I found them to be really good cans for the money, but I'm sure if they can compete with the HD-25 and M-80 in terms of fine detail, both sonically and physically. I find the M-80 and HD-25 to be notoriously well built and very tough cans. Also, they are very detailed sonically throughout the entire range; from the bass all the way up to the treble. The AKGs sounded very good, but I still prefer both the M-80 and HD-25 in terms of both sound and build. Of course, they are both a price premium over the VERY affordable AKGs, but I feel you get more for what you pay more for.

Sep 7, 2012 at 4:51 PM Post #25 of 28
You're right about the BQ on the M-80 and HD25 being a bit better, especially in regards to the M-80. But let me tell you, the K181s are pretty durable and the fact that they can compete with those cans makes them a steal. It's all about flavor and a person's preference in the end. In some ways they prove to be a wonderful complement to the HDs, for example, in that they sound totally different but in a good way. WIDER soundstage and better imaging, with a laidback feel. Instrument separation though is just as good as both cans and isolation is on par with the HDs. The HDs are more intimate however and more aggressive overall. I plan on picking up a second pair of HDs at some point - mostly because of how portable and isolating they are as a total package with good SQ to boot. The M-80s are another can that's an amazing complement to the HDs. Smooth, groovy, punchy with big sound and excellent decay (better than the K181 in that regard to my ears). They're very similar to the K181s in a lot of ways but the M-80s are more comfortable to my ears and slightly more portable.

Sep 7, 2012 at 4:57 PM Post #26 of 28
If you can get the akg's at a low price then get them but if you are in oz and the price is sky high get the allen and heath cans..i am going by your name dingoberries that you are australian?

Sep 7, 2012 at 4:59 PM Post #27 of 28
I agree wholeheartedly as well. Every headphone has it's distinct signature and the k181 is no exception. Seriously speaking tho, for the price, the K181 is an absolute steal... If price didn't matter, I'll pick a DT1350, HD-25, and M-80 over the K181 IMO, but if I was tight on budget, the K181 hands down. A seriously good headphone for the price

Users who are viewing this thread

Back