Should I Replace HF2 with Somthing Else?
May 19, 2011 at 1:03 AM Post #16 of 24
Sorry buddy, I haven't decided yet, when I made up my mind I'll let you know. Thanks for your offer, cheers
beerchug.gif

May 19, 2011 at 6:01 AM Post #17 of 24

Quote:
Thanks mate, I guess a good PRaT should be punchy, impactful bass, and another thing I concern about the RS1i is its tremble, I wish HF2 could have more tremble. Looking forward to read your comparison. Cheers.

Doing some listens now....
But what do you mean by 'tremble'?
I've translated that in Dutch, but it's not clear to me what it mean in describing audio.

May 19, 2011 at 11:43 AM Post #19 of 24
Ok, so I compared the two a bit.

HF-2's bass definitely has more impact. In general it's sound has way more body then RS1i. HF-2 gives a dark tonality to the complete sound spectrum though and could be considered somewhat laid-back for a Grado. (it's still not Sennheiser HD6X0 laid back offcourse but relatively in comparison with other Grado's).

The highs, or 'treble' if you will, goes further with RSi though. It's more upfront, more trebly, engaging and at higher volume it reaches the point of harshness and painful much sooner then HF-2. I also think RS1i is a tiny bit more detailed, or at least gives the impression of being more detailed.
It also has more of what I call 'dynamics'.

To be short: HF-2 has the 'body and slam', RS1i has the treble and mids texture.

For distortion gitars, RS1i is a bit more engaging and adventurous, but HF-2 is more complete because it has more body (but that comes from a D7000 lover, so I guess I can appreciate some bass and body).

Overal, I'd grab for RS1i with acoustical gitars and some lighter classic rock maybe. I'd grab for HF-2 with power rock, metal, progressive.

For other genres, I simply grab for other headphones, since they will do much better for my taste.

May 20, 2011 at 1:03 AM Post #20 of 24
Nice review! thanks mate, I think I am still gonna keep my HF2 for a while since it has more bass impact than RS1i. I maybe will try a RS1i when I have a chance.
biggrin.gif

Quote:
Ok, so I compared the two a bit.

HF-2's bass definitely has more impact. In general it's sound has way more body then RS1i. HF-2 gives a dark tonality to the complete sound spectrum though and could be considered somewhat laid-back for a Grado. (it's still not Sennheiser HD6X0 laid back offcourse but relatively in comparison with other Grado's).

The highs, or 'treble' if you will, goes further with RSi though. It's more upfront, more trebly, engaging and at higher volume it reaches the point of harshness and painful much sooner then HF-2. I also think RS1i is a tiny bit more detailed, or at least gives the impression of being more detailed.
It also has more of what I call 'dynamics'.

To be short: HF-2 has the 'body and slam', RS1i has the treble and mids texture.

For distortion gitars, RS1i is a bit more engaging and adventurous, but HF-2 is more complete because it has more body (but that comes from a D7000 lover, so I guess I can appreciate some bass and body).

Overal, I'd grab for RS1i with acoustical gitars and some lighter classic rock maybe. I'd grab for HF-2 with power rock, metal, progressive.

For other genres, I simply grab for other headphones, since they will do much better for my taste.

Jun 2, 2011 at 5:13 PM Post #21 of 24
I have a pair of HF2s, and apparently similar taste in music.  I’m looking for a bit more “crunch” in my guitars, and more impact in the bass.  For instance, when a double-kick drum starts galloping, it’s well described and has a good amount of bass, but I want my ears to be pummeled by the sonic assault. Please post if you come across anything with a similar signature, but a bit more oomph.  I guess we can always hope for a less-restrained HF-3…

Jun 2, 2011 at 5:55 PM Post #22 of 24
You're not going to find more bass impact with a Grado, unless PS1000 has that (the only model in the current line I didn't hear).

More 'crunch' if I understand that right, will be found with an RS1i

Jun 2, 2011 at 11:45 PM Post #23 of 24

Quote:
I have a pair of HF2s, and apparently similar taste in music.  I’m looking for a bit more “crunch” in my guitars, and more impact in the bass.  For instance, when a double-kick drum starts galloping, it’s well described and has a good amount of bass, but I want my ears to be pummeled by the sonic assault. Please post if you come across anything with a similar signature, but a bit more oomph.  I guess we can always hope for a less-restrained HF-3…

That's exactly how I feel about this cans, HF2 have a punchy but SOOMTH bass, the bass of HF2 like punch your ears wearing gloves, you can feel the power but never get "KOed", IMHO, metal music needs punchy and fast (deep is not necessary) bass and hot, agressive treble. HF2 is a good can for metal, not a exllent can for metal. I am going to buy a pair of 325is soon, hope it will do a good job with metal.

Jun 3, 2011 at 6:13 AM Post #24 of 24

Quote:
HF2 is a good can for metal, not a exllent can for metal.

yes, exactly
Edition 8 has that great controlled punchy bass, but is 2 leagues higher
Sennheiser HD-25 does pretty nice too for metal, because it has that tight bass, is pretty forward, is crispy and most of all, very fast

Users who are viewing this thread

Back