Should I Replace HF2 with Somthing Else?
May 16, 2011 at 2:57 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 24

Zuqi

100+ Head-Fier
Hi,

Fellow head-fiers, As title said, I would like to find a headphone to replace my Grado HF2, my HF2 sounds great to me, but its presentation makes me like it, not LOVE it, sometimes I feels relly comfortable to listen to HF2 but sometimes I felt it is a bit too soft and unnatral. I do like the HF2's bass but I would desire a bit more punchy bass because I listen to metal a lot, and I also want a headpone with more agressive tremble.

Some head-fiers kindly suggest RS1i is what I am looking for, but I still wonder RS1 is the best candidate, I bought a pair of ER4p last month and I really love its natral (IMO) and detailed sound, I also like tfiple-fi's sound. I hope there is a headphone will suit my taste.

My gear is an ipod classic and pico amp to listen to music, mostly I listen to rock, punk and metal, I also listen to pop, jazz, and classical, but spend less time on these genres.

Please take my music preference, my source and amp into consideration, any suggestions would be appriciated.
biggrin.gif

May 16, 2011 at 3:12 PM Post #2 of 24
Don't replace your HF2. Something like that seldom falls into one's lap.

For a contrast to the HF2, i'd suggest the SR325i. i If you can get past the chrome, it is a far more agressive headphone, and from my limited time with it, i'd say it would really add the Snap-Tizz-Crunch you seem to be looking for.

Somebody will chime in with an idea for BilaGrados, and they are honestly far more bang for the buck - My Bila'd SR225 seems to do no wrong.

May 16, 2011 at 3:46 PM Post #3 of 24
RS1i is not really more aggresive then HF-2

I don't have RS1i long yet, but if I were to choose now, for metal, I'd go for HF-2

I personally love rock and metal with my D7000's, but that's my personal taste, that's a closed can, very different.

May 16, 2011 at 11:46 PM Post #4 of 24
Thanks for the reply, I agree with you on this point, for jazz and pop, I can barely find anything wrong with HF2, even most time with rocks and metal it hits the spot, but sometimes I just felt it would be perfect to add a bit agressive tremble.
Sometimes the bass of HF2 is just right but sometimes lack of bass or too much bass. I have never experenced a pair of headphone like this, I either like or dislike a headphone, but for HF2 I sometimes love it and sometimes I don't want to listen to it.

Quote:
Don't replace your HF2. Something like that seldom falls into one's lap. 

May 16, 2011 at 11:54 PM Post #5 of 24
HF2 doing good with metal, but sometimes I felt it has a little bit too much bass for me, and the quantity affects the quality of its bass.

How does RS1i sound compare to HF2?

Quote:
RS1i is not really more aggresive then HF-2

I don't have RS1i long yet, but if I were to choose now, for metal, I'd go for HF-2

I personally love rock and metal with my D7000's, but that's my personal taste, that's a closed can, very different.

May 17, 2011 at 6:52 AM Post #7 of 24

Quote:
HF2 doing good with metal, but sometimes I felt it has a little bit too much bass for me, and the quantity affects the quality of its bass.

How does RS1i sound compare to HF2?

I didn't a-b compared them extensively yet, but I think HF-2 is a bit darker and has a little bit more bass. RS1i is in a way a bit smoother. I think I like HF-2's 'body' in the sound better for metal.

But having RS1i for a couple of days now, most prominent to me is, that the Grado's are very similar. I can't imagine keeping them both on long term. I was also struck at how light the woodies were in comparison with HF-2, offcourse that's expected but RS1 almost weighs nothing.

May 17, 2011 at 5:00 PM Post #9 of 24
Quote:
Does 325is' SQ at the same level as HF2?

Having not heard the HF2, i can't comment on that point specifically. FWIR, the HF2 and SR325 are polar opposites in nature. Might be just the ticket for you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Proglover /img/forum/go_quote.gif

But having RS1i for a couple of days now, most prominent to me is, that the Grado's are very similar. I can't imagine keeping them both on long term.

Proglover hits it spot-on. Grados, like a fine wine, get better and more expensive as you go up the ladder, but you're essentially buying the same thing. The enclosures, pads and cables may change, as well as the drivers (which get sorted, treated and matched to increasingly tight tolerances) but the essence is always Grado. It becomes difficult to justify having 2 versions of the same thing, especially when one has spend $695 to get RS1i's - $300 for the SR325i seems logical (strictly in relation
biggrin.gif
)

Have you tried Equalisation?

May 17, 2011 at 5:12 PM Post #10 of 24

Quote:

Does that mean they have similar sound signiture? That's quite helpful. 

yes, very similar. There are some differences, but they share similar mids and forward 'Grado treble' presentation
Refinement with these two are very comparable for my ears (SR225 and MS-2 are f.e. noticable less refined)

May 18, 2011 at 5:14 AM Post #13 of 24

Quote:
Thanks, what about the bass? does RS1i has more PRAT than HF2?

I'll give it a comparable listen today.
Remind me please, what was PRaT exactly? I remember it's about bass, but what else?

May 18, 2011 at 9:08 AM Post #14 of 24

Quote:
I'll give it a comparable listen today.
Remind me please, what was PRaT exactly? I remember it's about bass, but what else?

Thanks mate, I guess a good PRaT should be punchy, impactful bass, and another thing I concern about the RS1i is its tremble, I wish HF2 could have more tremble. Looking forward to read your comparison. Cheers.

May 18, 2011 at 1:39 PM Post #15 of 24
I've always wanted to try the HF2. I do have a mint pair of 325is (not chrome, the silver version) if you do decide to change to something else, we could trade plus 100$ from myself. Or I would be interested in purchasing them.
beerchug.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back