Shanling M3X Portable Player - Our smallest Android Player
May 12, 2021 at 5:23 AM Post #781 of 2,442
D
A whole week out and I’m already pre-badgering you for impressions relative to the N3Pro 😅
Don't worry man i will be posting them soon :) I expected quicker delivery but due to covid lockdown in India international shipment movement is slow. Fingers crossed for Customs to give a quick clearance :p

May 12, 2021 at 8:56 AM Post #782 of 2,442
If you are using 4.4mm to XLR, you will be connecting to an amplifier, not a DAC. In this case you are using M3X DAC and amplifier.

If you use the USB-C to USB-B cable, you are using it as a simple digital transport and can connect it to separate USB DAC. In this case you are not using M3X DAC.
Thanks for the response. It is all clear now.

May 13, 2021 at 3:19 PM Post #784 of 2,442
ipaddy said:
I downloaded GoneMad. I am finding that there are distinct pauses when music is playing and i try to switch to another song. Not so long as to be extremely annoying, but enough for me to post about it. I am using a fast Sandisk MicroSDXC.
This is about different apps different approach to Gapless and then how it also mixes with the AGLO system on M3X.

I just purchased the full version of UAPP after playing with the Trial for a week I can confirm that after 8 hours, no issues with Gapless and no pauses between songs. It's also got seamless playlist creation and no problem importing playlists and NO LAG during scrolling. Definitely worth the $10

Last edited:
May 13, 2021 at 5:34 PM Post #785 of 2,442
would this be not as powerful as AK SR15?
its in a ,much cheaper price range but sonically anyone compared them?
I just need someone that has longer battery life and works well with high end IEMs

May 13, 2021 at 5:46 PM Post #786 of 2,442
would this be not as powerful as AK SR15?
its in a ,much cheaper price range but sonically anyone compared them?
I just need someone that has longer battery life and works well with high end IEMs
So what would you consider High End IEMS?
The battery life on this thing is amazing and the sound it puts out is really excellent.
My easiest to drive IEMs are the Xelento and i cant push the volume past 25 with them
I've got a set of IMR Triple Hybrid IEMS which is a planar, DD and Piezo. Planars are known to require much power to open up - and I've been listening to them all day with M3X on low gain at about 40 and they sound stunning. I'm not missing anything. My set that requires the most power is the UM 3DT, a triple DD set and it pairs magnificently with the M3X. As I've said before the reality of using this device is much different to what the specs on paper would suggest. I thought power output would be an issue - it isnt. With my previous M5s which by spec has a higher output power, I ran all those same IEMS on high gain. With the M3X I'm running everything Balanced, Low gain and I'm getting wider stage, deeper bass, even mids and more extended treble. I havent heard the SR15 so cant give you a comparison but I can unequivocally say that unless you've got high impedance cans, this thing should handle just about every IEM there is....

May 13, 2021 at 6:15 PM Post #787 of 2,442
The battery life on this thing is amazing and the sound it puts out is really excellent.
My easiest to drive IEMs are the Xelento and i cant push the volume past 25 with them
I've got a set of IMR Triple Hybrid IEMS which is a planar, DD and Piezo. Planars are known to require much power to open up - and I've been listening to them all day with M3X on low gain at about 40 and they sound stunning. I'm not missing anything. My set that requires the most power is the UM 3DT, a triple DD set and it pairs magnificently with the M3X. As I've said before the reality of using this device is much different to what the specs on paper would suggest. I thought power output would be an issue - it isnt. With my previous M5s which by spec has a higher output power, I ran all those same IEMS on high gain. With the M3X I'm running everything Balanced, Low gain and I'm getting wider stage, deeper bass, even mids and more extended treble. I havent heard the SR15 so cant give you a comparison but I can unequivocally say that unless you've got high impedance cans, this thing should handle just about every IEM there is....
Im looking to get CA Dorado 2020 which people say is output dependant.
Is it neutral or warm in terms of output?

Last edited:
May 13, 2021 at 8:14 PM Post #788 of 2,442
Im looking to get CA Dorado 2020 which people say is output dependant.
Is it neutral or warm in terms of output?
I'd say it leans slightly warm but I wouldnt call it warm, to my ear it is more neutral with a hint of warmth if that makes sense.

May 13, 2021 at 11:00 PM Post #789 of 2,442
Shanling Have any question about our players? Just PM me or send me email. Stay updated on Shanling at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Shanling-Audio-603230783166845/ https://twitter.com/ShanlingAudio https://www.instagram.com/shanlingaudio/ http://en.shanling.com/ frankie@shanling.com
May 14, 2021 at 7:45 AM Post #790 of 2,442
How is the SE performance on Low Gain and High Gain? Does it need High Gain on SE to get close to Low Gain on Balanced?

May 14, 2021 at 10:27 AM Post #791 of 2,442
Firmware update for Shanling M3X - V1.4

Few system improvements and fixes.

Full details and download link at our website:
http://en.shanling.com/article-M3XV14.html

Installed update with no immediate issues noted. Still no gapless or album artist sort in the Shanling player that I could find. Not a big deal to me but others might care....

May 14, 2021 at 11:21 AM Post #792 of 2,442
Installed update with no immediate issues noted. Still no gapless or album artist sort in the Shanling player that I could find. Not a big deal to me but others might care....
Yep, was also waiting for Gapless & Album Artist sorting in Shanling app. But at least they add Replay Gain which is still great. I still have to check also if waking up the device in LDAC mode still potentially leads to a hiccup — intermittent though.

[edit] and as you, no other issue so far with this update, after playing 2h via Qobuz in 3.5 output.

@Shanling FYI, I have noticed that the OTA update was horribly long. I stopped it after 2 min because only 8.5 Mo was downloaded (Server 1, I didn't check the 2nd). In comparison, downloading the update manually via Google Drive took me 20s (for the entire 1.2 Go file).

Last edited:
May 14, 2021 at 11:35 AM Post #793 of 2,442
This might be a stupid and/or unusual question (!) but is it possible to password protect/lock an M3X ???

I have some "little people/toddlers" who seem to be incredibly adept at switching on and playing with phones/tablets etc in fact anything with a touchscreen !!! I have locked down most devices apart from a fire tablet which they are allowed to play with.

Thanks.

May 14, 2021 at 11:37 AM Post #794 of 2,442
This might be a stupid and/or unusual question (!) but is it possible to password protect/lock an M3X ???

I have some "little people/toddlers" who seem to be incredibly adept at switching on and playing with phones/tablets etc in fact anything with a touchscreen !!! I have locked down most devices apart from a fire tablet which they are allowed to play with.

Thanks.
As it's android should be able to put lock screen pattern or pin on it, via settings menu

May 14, 2021 at 11:38 AM Post #795 of 2,442

Thanks.
Yes for sure, like any other Android, using a password or even a pattern drawn on screen :wink:

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back