Shanling M3X Portable Player - Our smallest Android Player
May 14, 2021 at 11:46 AM Post #796 of 2,442
Yes for sure, like any other Android, using a password or even a pattern drawn on screen :wink:
Thank you Exile and Pierre. Appreciate the quick reply. I did wonder if the Android locks would work at a top level even if just simply using as a music player rather than heading off into "App land"! Based on reviews (and my love for my M0) I can't wait for an M3X. I suppose another answer to my original question is simply to......keep it strictly away from any little persons fingers!! Thanks again.

May 14, 2021 at 12:49 PM Post #797 of 2,442
How is the SE performance on Low Gain and High Gain? Does it need High Gain on SE to get close to Low Gain on Balanced?
What you need to understand about this DAP is that from the SE Connection you can choose SE Single Dac and SE Dual DAC. That's huge. there is are still a numper of Dual DAC DAPs that do not tap into the the 2nd DAC chip from the SE port. For me, with my gear, SE Low Gain in from Single DAC is a little underpowered nor is it as resolving, deep or wide. I ran for a day in SE Single DAC and got 23 hours of battery. It sounded OK, but when I switched on the 2nd dac, the power increased staging and resolution both improved. Clearly there's more power ouput. So no, it doesnt "NEED" high gain on SE but that will be largely dependent on your IEMS and CANs. I can say that SE DUAL DAC is marked jump up from SE Single DAC in both low and high gain.

May 14, 2021 at 4:05 PM Post #798 of 2,442
What you need to understand about this DAP is that from the SE Connection you can choose SE Single Dac and SE Dual DAC. That's huge. there is are still a numper of Dual DAC DAPs that do not tap into the the 2nd DAC chip from the SE port. For me, with my gear, SE Low Gain in from Single DAC is a little underpowered nor is it as resolving, deep or wide. I ran for a day in SE Single DAC and got 23 hours of battery. It sounded OK, but when I switched on the 2nd dac, the power increased staging and resolution both improved. Clearly there's more power ouput. So no, it doesnt "NEED" high gain on SE but that will be largely dependent on your IEMS and CANs. I can say that SE DUAL DAC is marked jump up from SE Single DAC in both low and high gain.
Yeah but that balanced is special.

May 14, 2021 at 4:34 PM Post #799 of 2,442
Yeah but that balanced is special.
You're right, I re-read what I had written and wanted to edit that in - I was more focused on answering @Ace Bee direct question. I use this device exclusively in Balanced - and you're right it is special - and with the battery life this thing has, there's really no reason not to use the balanced connection unless you dont have a balanced cable or 4.4 to 2.5 adapter (the DD Hifi is excellent by the way) The only scenario where I could see myself running on SE out would be my next flight to Africa - It's 20 + hours from here, so I would used the SE jack just to extend playtime.

May 15, 2021 at 8:18 AM Post #801 of 2,442
Okay, so what I understood is, Low gain/High Gain and Single DAC/Dual DAC are independent setting, and all of them can be used in conjunction with each other, right? And SE-Dual DAC-Low Gain is enough to make my iems sound good, high gain need not be applied.

May 15, 2021 at 9:59 AM Post #802 of 2,442
Couldn't resist. ZX507 in middle. Yes, I have too many DAPs. I blame COVID.

Left to right:

Sony A105, Hiby R5, Sony ZX507, Shanling M3x and FiiO M11 Pro

tempImage4JP5XZ.jpg
It doesn’t look much smaller than the m11.
I’m looking into the M3x because I want something smaller and lighter than the m11.
Which of those do you like most? Can you something about the M3x comparing it to the m11?

May 15, 2021 at 10:03 AM Post #803 of 2,442
Okay, so what I understood is, Low gain/High Gain and Single DAC/Dual DAC are independent setting, and all of them can be used in conjunction with each other, right? And SE-Dual DAC-Low Gain is enough to make my iems sound good, high gain need not be applied.
You are mostly correct. From balanced both dacs are are always engaged. So the only setting is Low / High Gain. From SE you can choose singe dac or dual dac and Low or High Gain. I'm not sure why you are so opposed to using high gain or the balanced output but yes the SE output on the M3X, to my ear sounds better than the SE output on the M5s with my particular IEMs.

May 15, 2021 at 10:09 AM Post #805 of 2,442
You are mostly correct. From balanced both dacs are are always engaged. So the only setting is Low / High Gain. From SE you can choose singe dac or dual dac and Low or High Gain. I'm not sure why you are so opposed to using high gain or the balanced output but yes the SE output on the M3X, to my ear sounds better than the SE output on the M5s with my particular IEMs.
4.4 mm...I do not have many balanced cables, mostly SE so that I can use them with a variety of sources. The one cable I am going to get, OS849, is 2.5 mm. I have to get some DD adaptros of 2.5 to 3.5 and 2.5 to 4.4, but linsoul will take at least 21 days to deliver, if not more. Hence...

May 15, 2021 at 10:26 AM Post #806 of 2,442
4.4 mm...I do not have many balanced cables, mostly SE so that I can use them with a variety of sources. The one cable I am going to get, OS849, is 2.5 mm. I have to get some DD adaptros of 2.5 to 3.5 and 2.5 to 4.4, but linsoul will take at least 21 days to deliver, if not more. Hence...
Thats what I figured. We see each other on lots of other threads. The OS 849 is a great cable but XXINHS offers alot of great cables at a price point that wont break break the bank. Because most iems ship with 3.5 cables that's what I used to for years ad felt pretty happy with what I had but whet I finally bought myself a balanced cable I never went back.

Last edited:
May 15, 2021 at 10:28 AM Post #807 of 2,442
Thats what I figured. We see each other on lots of other threads. The OS 849 is a great cable but XXINHS offers alot of great cables at a price point that wont break break the bank. Because most iems ship with 3.5 cables that's what I used to for years ad felt pretty happy with what I had but what I finally bought myself a balanced cable I never went back.
Sadly, aliexpress is not delivering to India, and XINHS has no other option for sending to India. Had a chat with them on Aliexpress.

May 15, 2021 at 10:45 AM Post #808 of 2,442
Thats what I figured. We see each other on lots of other threads. The OS 849 is a great cable but XXINHS offers alot of great cables at a price point that wont break break the bank. Because most iems ship with 3.5 cables that's what I used to for years ad felt pretty happy with what I had but what I finally bought myself a balanced cable I never went back.
Yeah I picked up a 16 core 4.4 balanced cable for about £15 on amazon for my blon BL03. Night and day difference

May 15, 2021 at 11:01 AM Post #809 of 2,442
It doesn’t look much smaller than the m11.
I’m looking into the M3x because I want something smaller and lighter than the m11.
Which of those do you like most? Can you something about the M3x comparing it to the m11?

Well my M11 Pro (SS version) is the largest DAP I own, especially when you consider thickness. Perhaps the picture is a bit misleading. The SS version weighs twice as much as the M3X as well. I can't comfortably carry it in my shirt pocket, which is my preferred spot, both due to size and weight. I believe most would consider the 4497 DAC to be superior to the Sabre DAC in the M3X but you do pay the price in battery life and excess heat (and purchase $$$). I'm not the guy who can tell much of a difference between quality DACs so I'm not going to tell you that one sounds better than the other, I honestly don't know. To me, they both sound great. I do like that the M11 Pro has both 2.5 and 4.4 mm balanced jacks, however. The M3X easily has twice the battery life and doesn't heat up when playing which matters to me. I already own both, so I don't have to choose... I actually think they complement each other well if you have room for two DAPs... :relaxed:

May 15, 2021 at 11:37 AM Post #810 of 2,442
Couldn't resist. ZX507 in middle. Yes, I have too many DAPs. I blame COVID.

Left to right:

Sony A105, Hiby R5, Sony ZX507, Shanling M3x and FiiO M11 Pro

tempImage4JP5XZ.jpg
One question I forgot to ask here, which do you prefer between R5 and M3X? Does M3X has a larger soundstage than R5?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back