Shanling M3X Portable Player - Our smallest Android Player
May 10, 2021 at 1:34 PM Post #751 of 2,447
Yikes.
Last question - If I plan to use it with hi-res files on a micro sd flash drive with a standard walkman player on it, will it be able to keep the charge much longer?

Yes, the standard player is much better. With wifi off and battery saver on, around 10-12 hours with high resolution, maybe 15 hours or so with 16/44.1.

If you didn't know, there is a pretty extensive thread on it here:

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/new-sony-nw-zx500.914486/#post-15168706

Last edited:
May 10, 2021 at 5:22 PM Post #753 of 2,447
Let me see if I can help a bit
1. There are 2 DAC chips inside the m3x, one for each channel and each with its own Amp (opamp). But on a single ended output (Unbalanced / SE / 3.5mm), the 2 channels share a common ground and the signal will pass through only one amplification circuit. The default setting for the 3.5mm jack (Unbalanced / Single Ended) is single DAC mode. With the M3X and other recent players you can choose via software toggle to enable both DACs, but you'll still only get the benefit of a single Amp. Through the 4.4 jack (Balanced) both DACS And both Amps are always used with one DAC and one Amp for each of the lefft and right channels. If you look at the spec sheet, you'll see 3 levels of output power and 3 levels of battery life. SE 1 DAC / SE 2 DAC / BAL. That's because with each of these settings you'll be using different levels of output power and thus battery. Actually there are 6 levels of power and battery because for each of those modes, you can also select between high gain and low gain. All of the power output specs are showing Max Output Potential which means it's based on high gain. All of the battery life specs would be based on low gain (low gain = less power output = less battery consumption). I don't know what kind of earphones and cable you are using but I'll assume you have a single ended 3.5 cable. If that's the case you are not getting the full benefit of the dual dacs, amplification circuits and channel separation. On M5s, I used the balanced output 90% of the time, but if I want to extend battery life, I'll plug into the the 3.5 jack and it's still a perfectly satisfying experience BUT balanced is fuller, and more detailed. I also the 3.5 out to plug into external speakers, my car aux in, etc..... You will definitely hear a difference between single DAC and dual DAC, because your channel separation will increase along with a moderate amount of output power - though you are still restricted to the single Amp. If you want to hear and even bigger difference in sound, swap cables to a 4.4 (or a 2.5 with a 4.4 adapter) and you'll get both DACs and amps and double the amount of power along with much better channel separation and presumably wider stage.

2. A low pass filter allows all frequencies below a certain set threshold to "pass through" while blocking frequencies above that threshold. So a low pass filter will attenuate some of the high frequencies depending on what the threshold is. If you hear sibilance, enable it.

3. Vehicle mode, when enabled, tells the unit to look for power from the USB port and automatically turn on the unit when detected. I have this on both my BTR3 and UP4 which I have permanently installed in my vehicles. I turn on the car, aux power flows and the unit turns on. I turn off the car, aux power stops and the unit turns off. I start my car, the BTR3 automatically powers on because accessory power starts flowing to in and my phone then autoconnects to it and I'm ready to stream to my car audio without having to fiddle with buttons or switches..... That's Car / Vehicle mode.

Hope this helps.
Thank you.

What is the frequency cutoff for the low pass filter above which it attenuates sound?

May 10, 2021 at 8:37 PM Post #754 of 2,447
Last edited:
May 11, 2021 at 9:12 AM Post #755 of 2,447
I've had mine exactly a week now and I keep forgetting to time how much playtime I actually get from it. Ill try to be more mindful to get an actual hour count of playback time next time give it a full charge. I know I'm getting more than 12 hours out of in balanced, high gain. II hhaven't tried the the 3.5 jack and likely wont bother. In the last week, it hasn't gotten hot even once and it would be a stretch to say it gets warm. It gets slightly warm....
A better question is if it gets hot when running in balanced for hours while in the official leather case. Because you know that a case traps the heat that would otherwise easily be transferred out from the interior.

I know for example that a FIIO M15 I have runs hot if playing for a while, and that's even outside the case. I worry so much about those little components that I even have a $20 Polar handheld fan blowing at it (very quiet) if I plan to use it at home for extended periods.

May 11, 2021 at 10:58 AM Post #756 of 2,447
I just received a new B&W P17 and set the M3X to Aptx HD. The P17 has Aptx Adaptive and Aptx HD so I paired and listening now to some test tracks I use with new gear.......very nice sounding and no freezing or disconnecting while streaming from Tidal over wifi.
How does the P17 compared to, say, $100-300 wired iem's, like FIIO FH5 or similar? Also, can one turn off the noise cancellation?

May 11, 2021 at 11:00 AM Post #757 of 2,447
May 11, 2021 at 11:03 AM Post #758 of 2,447
I've had this M3X just over a week now and I really have to say, not withstanding a few small software annoyances, this little player positioned in the "Budget Segment" absolutely kills flagships from just a couple of years ago. I've got about 45 hours on it and the background is as black as night, Bass & subbasss are clean clear, fast, and have plenty of weight the mids are luscious, maybe a touch recessed, I need to do some more critical listening, and the the treble has fantastic extension and sparke with every IEM I've paired this thing up with. For the first 20 to 30 hours I used it exclusively in high gain, but this thing is so open now I've gone back to to low gain with all my iems and it's just beautiful. My two biggest concerns upon purchasing were 1) Output power and whether it would be enough to drive what I've got in my collection and that has been sufficiently answered now. And 2) if 2GB RAM would be enough for a lag free experience. For playback, it's no issue at all. The only place RAM is an issue is scrolling my Album List and Artist List. It is a little laggy. This could really use at 3GB RAM - its not a deal breaker but a more fluid scrolling experience, especially with a large library would certainly enhance the overall user experience. I've had the Lotoo PAW 6000 in the shopping cart twice this weekend and I'm pretty sure after this last listening session with the M3X I'm abandoning the cart indefinitely. As the rate of diminishing returns accelerates, Shanling has found a real sweet spot with this DAP.
I'm curious. Which "flagships from just a couple of years ago" are you thinking it is killing?

May 11, 2021 at 11:11 AM Post #759 of 2,447
Wait. I thought that this filter was a discretionary switchable filter, so that one could avoid sibilance. Wouldn't these virtually inaudible frequencies be in any case cut off just in the normal course of things?

First, I'm not an expert. Yes, the lowpass filter is part of the normal course of things with digital audio to prevent "aliasing" at the higher frequency. Many DAPs have multiple options for this filter as none of them are theoretically perfect. I find the choice of filters to be very subtle (to my ears), but the DAC manufacturers included options so some the DAP manufacturers allow you to try them and decide for yourself...

May 11, 2021 at 1:51 PM Post #761 of 2,447
Re: Android on the M3X.

I am having a lot of trouble swiping up to see the standard Android display of all open windows, so that I can close which ones I want. I don't even have a cover or case on this yet, so it's not like I am missing territory on the screen. It just will not show all the windows. After I try a whole bunch of times, all of a sudden it will work, and show open windows, allowing me to X out of any of them.

I've tried to figure out what made a particular swipe out of many show those windows, but I can't duplicate. I just swipe repeatedly, and then it shows at some point. What am I missing? Thanks.

May 11, 2021 at 2:05 PM Post #762 of 2,447
I downloaded GoneMad. I am finding that there are distinct pauses when music is playing and i try to switch to another song. Not so long as to be extremely annoying, but enough for me to post about it. I am using a fast Sandisk MicroSDXC.
And GoneMad degrades the sound quality. I A/B/C compared it with Hiby, Black, Shanling player and it was distinctly veiled. I wrote to the developer who confirmed
"GMMP's engine was built when android had a lot more limitations on output so it will down sample down to 48hz or less and 16bit (for sources higher than that). It outputs via the android apis which may or may not pass through whatever custom audio code/dac/dsp the device has. There is nothing in place to take advantage of any custom hardware"

Hiby, UAPP, Shanling all sound terrific with the M3X. UAPP has no lag when scrolling. All three players Hiby, Shanling, UAPP also sometimes pause (Sometimes for several minutes) between songs. It's random, I dont know how to reproduce it. But sometimes when a song finishes and there are several songs still in queue it just stops playing then resumes several minutes later. It seems to be hardware because it this behaviour exhibits in a few diffrent players. @Shanling are you aware of this?

May 11, 2021 at 2:07 PM Post #763 of 2,447

I am having a lot of trouble swiping up to see the standard Android display of all open windows, so that I can close which ones I want. I don't even have a cover or case on this yet, so it's not like I am missing territory on the screen. It just will not show all the windows. After I try a whole bunch of times, all of a sudden it will work, and show open windows, allowing me to X out of any of them.

I've tried to figure out what made a particular swipe out of many show those windows, but I can't duplicate. I just swipe repeatedly, and then it shows at some point. What am I missing? Thanks.
I found the swiping pretty non-intuitive on this device so I changed it and put the virtual buttons back on the bottom of the screen. It works much better and the nav icons dont get in the way of anything Settings> Display > Navigation Mode > Virtual Buttons

May 11, 2021 at 2:09 PM Post #764 of 2,447

For me, a quick swipe up goes to the Home Screen. A slooow swipe up opens opens the task manager.

May 11, 2021 at 2:12 PM Post #765 of 2,447
I'm curious. Which "flagships from just a couple of years ago" are you thinking it is killing?
Let's start with AK120, AK240, Fiio X7ii all three I owned. The first 2 were +$1000 on release and the M3X IMO sounds much better. Wider, deeper, more resolving, greater clarity and sparkle. The M3X is half of the release price of the X7ii and is supeior in many ways. Again, IMO, the M3X has broken a price / performance barrier. When you take form, sound, function and battery - it's an outstanding value.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back