Shanling M3X Portable Player - Our smallest Android Player
May 10, 2021 at 8:34 AM Post #721 of 2,447
So far there are no consequences. We encountered only few apps that do not support Android 7, but at these cases there are alternative apps provided by the developer. Netflix being such example.

The Snapdragon 430 appears to be capable of running Android 8.1 (Oreo) based on other devices with the same chip. Is Shanling considering an update to eliminate some of these concerns?

Last edited:
May 10, 2021 at 8:48 AM Post #722 of 2,447
I have had the R5 since it was first released, about 18 months ago and it has seen a lot of usage. I have several DAPs, but the R5 was the most used due to small size and everything working as it should with no hassle (streaming sevices, etc.). Yes, on paper the R5 has more power but both drive my IEMs just fine, so non-issue for me.
I cannot tell any difference in sound between the two, but my ears may not be as "Golden" as some here. I bought the M3x as a replacement because, 1) it is newer, 2) has an interesting DAC, and 3) has better battery life. As I have said the devices are quite similar and competitive.
Would you mind if I ask some more questions?

1. How is the battery backup of R5 after 18 months of usage?
2. Between M3X and R5, which one has smoother operation with lesser lag?
3. This is a weird question: Do both of them support USB OTG pen-drives? Like, if I want to copy some music files from usb otg pendrive to the memory card of R5 and M3X and vice-versa - will that be possible?

May 10, 2021 at 9:28 AM Post #723 of 2,447
Would you mind if I ask some more questions?

1. How is the battery backup of R5 after 18 months of usage?
2. Between M3X and R5, which one has smoother operation with lesser lag?
3. This is a weird question: Do both of them support USB OTG pen-drives? Like, if I want to copy some music files from usb otg pendrive to the memory card of R5 and M3X and vice-versa - will that be possible?
1. The battery is showing some degradation in battery life, maybe 75% of original, which is why I started looking for a replacement. I assume I could get the battery replaced but I started looking around at other options. The battery has many charge cycles on it as I rarely turn off the DAP and just let it go to standby. I charge most every night, so I would say 100s of cycles. I wouldn't call it a defect, just normal battery aging.
2. The M3X is faster (same clock speed but 8 core versus 4) but neither is modern smartphone fast. It was not a problem or annoyance in either case for me. Both are much, much faster than my old Fiio X7ii.
3. Both of them were able to detect and read from a fat32 formatted USB stick via USB-C/USB-A cable (just tested as I had never tried that before).

May 10, 2021 at 9:33 AM Post #724 of 2,447
SAME
lol
I’d like a really small Android DAP but the form factor tends to come with a smaller price point and the inevitable compromises that induces.
Man it's really hard to choose between the two, some say the R5S is better with better DAC setup and dedicated amplification circuitry too, while some are saying the M3X has a better implementation of the DAC.

May 10, 2021 at 9:35 AM Post #725 of 2,447
I was tied between these two also….tried the Hiby r5s coming from Fiio m6 was obviously an improvement. Haven’t tried the Shanling as couldn’t find on sale only preorder and I’m impatient! Then a Fiio M11 came up £85 cheaper so returned the Hiby. Size was good , felt nice in the hand , screen not overly responsive though. I preferred the Fiio M11, although larger, the screen is so much better . I’m only using indoors so size not really a problem. Would like to have tried the Shanling but the cost of the M11 was less than the M3x so I’m happy with it , suits my needs.
Good luck deciding!
FiiO M6 was actually my very first DAP, hated it to the core, Laggy, buggy, and average sounding at best. Though loved M11 Pro from FiiO. But now I want a secondary DAP for Android that's why I am confused. For my primary whenever I upgrade this secondary will be upgraded to N6ii by Cayin and my Primary N3 Pro will be upgraded to Lotoo Paw 6k. God knows when will that happen though.

May 10, 2021 at 9:41 AM Post #726 of 2,447
Man it's really hard to choose between the two, some say the R5S is better with better DAC setup and dedicated amplification circuitry too, while some are saying the M3X has a better implementation of the DAC.

If you want small, the Sony A105 is the smallest full android DAP AFAIK. No balanced circuitry though.

May 10, 2021 at 9:46 AM Post #727 of 2,447
If you want small, the Sony A105 is the smallest full android DAP AFAIK. No balanced circuitry though.
Not balanced but the battery is also an issue with it. Both the R5S and M3X provide excellent battery life.

May 10, 2021 at 9:51 AM Post #728 of 2,447
The other problem is that Sony doesn’t handle Android bypassing well, if at all. Which is the main appeal of an Android DAP for me.
Also in the EU the amping is so frustratingly hobbled you may as well plug your headphones into a castrated potato.

I am concurrently looking into alternatives that are much more expensive and bulky, such as the upcoming SE180 by A&K. Use cases is a thorny issue in these uncertain times.

May 10, 2021 at 9:58 AM Post #729 of 2,447
Being a huge fan of the LG V30 which uses the previous version of the same line of DACs, I am not too concerned about the lack of a discreet, dedicated amplification section - and this is coming from someone who believes amplification is ten times more meaningful than decoding to the audible result. ESS reall have their crap together when it comes to this range of chips. I like the V30 better than the Mojo and its crazy FPGA DAC.

I’m more concerned about the M3X’s width, which I also find rather inelegant from an aesthetic standpoint, and the older Android version when other manufacturers have announced or released DAPs using Android 9 or 10.

May 10, 2021 at 9:58 AM Post #730 of 2,447
The other problem is that Sony doesn’t handle Android bypassing well, if at all. Which is the main appeal of an Android DAP for me.
Also in the EU the amping is so frustratingly hobbled you may as well plug your headphones into a castrated potato.

I am concurrently looking into alternatives that are much more expensive and bulky, such as the upcoming SE180 by A&K. Use cases is a thorny issue in these uncertain times.

UAPP now supports the Sony DAPs which helps with SRC. Amazon Ultra HD also works. Agreed that battery life is not so good. I'm personally done with A&K for the foreseeable future. The lack of support and upgrades for existing products is a complete deal-breaker.

May 10, 2021 at 10:06 AM Post #731 of 2,447
tempImagexfb25n.jpg

A105, R5, M3x

tempImageuIHncs.jpg

Added M11 Pro for comparison.

Last edited:
May 10, 2021 at 10:21 AM Post #733 of 2,447
May 10, 2021 at 10:23 AM Post #734 of 2,447
Being a huge fan of the LG V30 which uses the previous version of the same line of DACs, I am not too concerned about the lack of a discreet, dedicated amplification section - and this is coming from someone who believes amplification is ten times more meaningful than decoding to the audible result. ESS reall have their *** together when it comes to this range of chips. I like the V30 better than the Mojo and its crazy FPGA DAC.

I’m more concerned about the M3X’s width, which I also find rather inelegant from an aesthetic standpoint, and the older Android version when other manufacturers have announced or released DAPs using Android 9 or 10.
I don't care much about Android version as long as it supports UAPP and is fluid in it.

May 10, 2021 at 10:24 AM Post #735 of 2,447
tempImagexfb25n.jpg

A105, R5, M3x

tempImageuIHncs.jpg

Added M11 Pro for comparison.
M3X looks the best among these to me haha. Oh obviously not as good as the M11 Pro.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back