Shanling M2s Hi-Res DAP with AK4490 + MUSE8920, Bluetooth, & USB Out
Sep 15, 2017 at 2:08 PM Post #1,606 of 2,460
Totally nonsense review imo. Bears no resemblance to what I'm seeing or hearing with the M2S.

100% agree, if it puts anybody off buying an M2s that would be sad, perhaps Shanling should sue What Hifi. :)

Hopefully prospective buyers come to Head-fi to read some positive reviews, before making a decision to give the Shanling DAP range a miss.

Sep 15, 2017 at 2:16 PM Post #1,607 of 2,460
I'm having some trouble with my in car system not being able to see all of the files on the SD card when my M2s is connected via the USB-C port. The music is definitely on the SD card and I've defintely "updated files" as I can access and play the "missing" files through Bluetooth on the same in car system and through my headphones. I'd imagine it's a settings or software issue with either my car system or the M2s as it doesn't appear to be a problem with file type, I can play any type of file my car can find on the player.

It's not a huge issue having to use the M2s via Bluetooth in the car but I can notice a difference in sound quality and its also far easier (and safer!) to control through the car.

Hopefully someone can point me in the right direction. Thanks.

Sep 15, 2017 at 2:21 PM Post #1,608 of 2,460
The car stereo will be using the M2s as a USB hard disk in this case, perhaps the ICE system doesn't like the folder structure you have used, other than that I can't think of why it wouldn't work if as you say the filetype is playable by the car system.

Sep 15, 2017 at 3:09 PM Post #1,610 of 2,460
You may not have to remove all the folders, it could just be a character in the file/folder name, or the overall path length that is causing the problem.

I would compare the working file names and paths to the ones that don't work. It should be possible to spot a pattern.

Sep 15, 2017 at 3:19 PM Post #1,611 of 2,460
Hi guys,

Now come on, is it just me, or is something missing from this review?

https://www.whathifi.com/shanling/m2s/review

I know we are the UK distributor, but in my personal opinion on the M2s is fantastic value for money with a smooth sound that is far from boring and lacking punch....

seems to go against every other review of the M2s out there...

Glad I didn't even bother to read it.

Sep 15, 2017 at 4:19 PM Post #1,612 of 2,460
You may not have to remove all the folders, it could just be a character in the file/folder name, or the overall path length that is causing the problem.

I would compare the working file names and paths to the ones that don't work. It should be possible to spot a pattern.

That's interesting, I didn't think of overall path length being a problem. I bet that's it, I'll do some fiddling around and report back.

Sep 15, 2017 at 4:20 PM Post #1,613 of 2,460

Indeed. On the N3 thread, someone had a "dot" at the beginning of some files (i.e., .Hotel California). Linux-based systems interpret a leading dot as a "hidden" file.

Sep 15, 2017 at 4:45 PM Post #1,614 of 2,460
Haha, just came here inquire about the What HiFi Review.
Decided I was tired of my phone audio quality this week and been hunting for entry level DAPs, saw the M1, then Found the M2S, after looking at prices of FiiO X5iii, X3ii, A&K, Onkyo, forget the other ones.

I liked the price of the M2S, read the Head-fi review, watched a few other reviews, and bam! hit "Add to Cart" and Checkout.

Just out of excitement I wanted to read more info on my purchase(to iron out any buyer's remorse) when I saw the What HiFi review couple minutes ago, being so...off-the-mark compared to all the other gleaming reviews I'd read before purchase had to come here for clarification.
Glad to see others here are bringing it up. Guess I'll ignore it too.

Sep 15, 2017 at 7:36 PM Post #1,615 of 2,460
Haha, just came here inquire about the What HiFi Review.
Decided I was tired of my phone audio quality this week and been hunting for entry level DAPs, saw the M1, then Found the M2S, after looking at prices of FiiO X5iii, X3ii, A&K, Onkyo, forget the other ones.

I liked the price of the M2S, read the Head-fi review, watched a few other reviews, and bam! hit "Add to Cart" and Checkout.

Just out of excitement I wanted to read more info on my purchase(to iron out any buyer's remorse) when I saw the What HiFi review couple minutes ago, being so...off-the-mark compared to all the other gleaming reviews I'd read before purchase had to come here for clarification.
Glad to see others here are bringing it up. Guess I'll ignore it too.

I haven't heard the M2S but in many years of being an audiophile, What Hifi has always been considered to not have much credibility. I would never let that publication influence a purchasing decision. They can be entertaining to read, kind of like a comic book.

Sep 16, 2017 at 4:45 AM Post #1,616 of 2,460
Now a weird question:
I'm considering getting an M2s to use in mobility aswell as a dac for my computer.
Right now I use a dragonfly black. Would getting a M2s be an upgrade or a downgrade from my current dragonfly?
thanks in advance

Sep 16, 2017 at 4:51 AM Post #1,617 of 2,460
What Hifi hasn't had a good reputation in the uk for years now, so I wouldn't worry too much about the "reviews". Indeed back in the day the joke on certain other hifi sites used to be that if you wanted to know the awards mag results just check out the advertisers first...

Sep 16, 2017 at 5:35 AM Post #1,618 of 2,460
I have just left feedback on whathifi site and told them their m2s review is total crap. You can spend 3 minutes and do the same :))
For the car system issues. Why should you use M2S as a usb flash drive, when you can connect it with 3.5mm cable to the aux port?
When you connect it with usb to the car it wont use M2s to play files, just as a storage.
Excuse me if you know all of that :)

Best Regards,
Kiril

Sep 16, 2017 at 6:36 AM Post #1,619 of 2,460
Long thread so i just skimmed through, what os is it running?no wifi i assume?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back