Shanling M2s Hi-Res DAP with AK4490 + MUSE8920, Bluetooth, & USB Out
Sep 13, 2017 at 10:36 AM Post #1,591 of 2,460
I've just started using my new FiiO A5 portable AMP with my Shanling M2s and I've noticed a sizeable difference in sound quality (not just volume) against just using my Trinity Audio Icarus III IEMs & Philips X2's their own with the DAP.

The 4.8ohms output resistance meant I was outside the 1/8 rule and I noticed some weird sounds, now using the amp I'm well within the 1/8 and the sound is much nicer, fuller, cleaner, I'm now much happier with my setup :)

Last edited:
Sep 13, 2017 at 12:01 PM Post #1,592 of 2,460
Coming from somewhere who's a big fan of the A&K UI, I must say, the M2S comes very close in terms of usability and function. At first, I was quite suspicious that a non-touchscreen DAP like M2S could be anything good. However, reviews of the DAP were glowing, so I thought, "Hey, why not?", and I've been a big fan ever since. It's relatively easy to learn, and you get access to all the functions that you need over a few clicks. No major issues with the M2S thus far.

Plus, it's small. It's light. And it sounds great. :)
thanks a lot. Btw, did you have ever used Cayin N3 by any chance before?

Sep 13, 2017 at 1:56 PM Post #1,593 of 2,460
thanks a lot. Btw, did you have ever used Cayin N3 by any chance before?
Unfortunately, not. Sorry about that. :)

In any case, both the M2S and the N3 are very well liked here on Head-Fi, and you'll be sure to find tons of reviews for either, as well as comparisons.

Sep 13, 2017 at 2:28 PM Post #1,594 of 2,460
Do anyone have same problem with M2s when playing SACD ISO file, it cannot play any tracks after the 12th track, it just repeat to play the first track. :triportsad:

Sep 13, 2017 at 4:41 PM Post #1,595 of 2,460
Do anyone have same problem with M2s when playing SACD ISO file, it cannot play any tracks after the 12th track, it just repeat to play the first track. :triportsad:

Don't have any of those files, but as a quick advice, you could probably convert them using F2K, it is free, and it would solve this issue.

Sep 14, 2017 at 8:00 PM Post #1,597 of 2,460
Coming from somewhere who's a big fan of the A&K UI, I must say, the M2S comes very close in terms of usability and function. At first, I was quite suspicious that a non-touchscreen DAP like M2S could be anything good. However, reviews of the DAP were glowing, so I thought, "Hey, why not?", and I've been a big fan ever since. It's relatively easy to learn, and you get access to all the functions that you need over a few clicks. No major issues with the M2S thus far.

Plus, it's small. It's light. And it sounds great. :)
DING DING DING...I am a fan of A&K UI and feel it is the most polished of all of the DAP's but thus far I have been nothing short of impressed with the M2s. The slight warm coloration is actually really good with the Zeus XR as well. I just received the unit yesterday so I am a while from writing a review but my initial thoughts are very positive. Someone was asking earlier about the i5 comparison, I was not a fan of the i5 UI at all. I am sure it has improved with FW updates but the version I tested left a lot to be desired.

Sep 14, 2017 at 11:16 PM Post #1,598 of 2,460
Unfortunately, not. Sorry about that. :)

In any case, both the M2S and the N3 are very well liked here on Head-Fi, and you'll be sure to find tons of reviews for either, as well as comparisons.

DING DING DING...I am a fan of A&K UI and feel it is the most polished of all of the DAP's but thus far I have been nothing short of impressed with the M2s. The slight warm coloration is actually really good with the Zeus XR as well. I just received the unit yesterday so I am a while from writing a review but my initial thoughts are very positive. Someone was asking earlier about the i5 comparison, I was not a fan of the i5 UI at all. I am sure it has improved with FW updates but the version I tested left a lot to be desired.
thanks a lot for your comments guys :D
however, I just found out that N3 and M2S are a bit on the warm side. My Harmony 8.2 is already also on the warm side, so it needs a more balance DAP to pair with I guess. My best bet right now I guess is to wait for M3S to come out :-/

Sep 15, 2017 at 7:24 AM Post #1,599 of 2,460
Hi guys,

Now come on, is it just me, or is something missing from this review?

https://www.whathifi.com/shanling/m2s/review

I know we are the UK distributor, but in my personal opinion on the M2s is fantastic value for money with a smooth sound that is far from boring and lacking punch....

seems to go against every other review of the M2s out there...

Sep 15, 2017 at 7:36 AM Post #1,600 of 2,460
Hi guys,

I know we are the UK distributor, but in my personal opinion on the M2s is fantastic value for money with a smooth sound that is far from boring and lacking punch....

In my brief listen I think it was harsh but I remember folks saying the same about my Cayin i5 review so I hate to criticize. In a couple of weeks I will probably have enough time to write my review. I have tried hi gain and low gain both sound lively to me. Slightly warm compared to my Opus #2...but the Opus is my reference player and much more expensive.

Sep 15, 2017 at 7:38 AM Post #1,601 of 2,460
In my brief listen I think it was harsh but I remember folks saying the same about my Cayin i5 review so I hate to criticize. In a couple of weeks I will probably have enough time to write my review. I have tried hi gain and low gain both sound lovely to me. Slightly warm compared to my Opus #2...but the Opus is my reference player and much more expensive.

Yeah Opus #2 is my reference player, and the M2s doesn't have the refinement of the #2 but then again it is a fraction of the price. The M2s is slightly warm in comparison, but still offers an engaging sound with excellent detail, especially when you look at the price of it.

Sep 15, 2017 at 7:40 AM Post #1,602 of 2,460
Hi guys,

Yeah, that "review" pretty much makes all their other reviews suspect. C'mon, the same rating as a Sansa? Seriously?

Sep 15, 2017 at 8:08 AM Post #1,604 of 2,460
Hi guys,

That review definitely illustrates the bias that some people accuse What Hi-fi of showing. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back