Shanling M2s Hi-Res DAP with AK4490 + MUSE8920, Bluetooth, & USB Out
Sep 12, 2017 at 3:53 PM Post #1,578 of 2,460
In terms of UI, i5 would be the best among the above mentioned ones with its Android right?

You wouldn't believe how good the UI of M2s is and how natural that wheel feels after just few minutes of using it :darthsmile:

Since I haven't touched an i5, I can't talk of the comparison, but M2s is amazing.

Sep 12, 2017 at 9:33 PM Post #1,581 of 2,460
Sep 12, 2017 at 9:39 PM Post #1,582 of 2,460
Android on a DAP is an abomination and should never be tolerated. :thumbsdown: :upside_down: :relaxed: :upside_down:
Well to reach their own.

If I get an other DAP besides my M1 and M2s, it will be an Android DAP. Thought, having a Axon 7, V20 and most likely a V30 makes it had to justify. They sound plenty good for on the go out at the gym, and are much thinner for carrying around.

Sep 13, 2017 at 4:17 AM Post #1,583 of 2,460
You wouldn't believe how good the UI of M2s is and how natural that wheel feels after just few minutes of using it :darthsmile:

Since I haven't touched an i5, I can't talk of the comparison, but M2s is amazing.

Having owned an i5 and now owning an M2s I must say I prefer handling the M2s. It is somehow more logical to me.
Took me 2 minutes to get acquainted with it.

Android on a DAP is an abomination and should never be tolerated. :thumbsdown: :upside_down: :relaxed: :upside_down:

M2s has the best non-touchscreen GUI over used on a DAP. It's really good!

:stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

The reason why I asked that is because a review wrote this section:

"The OS of the M5 is super stable and whilst not touch sensitive or as innovative as Android it is actually fairly speedy and efficient. I do hope though the M5 will be the last of the non-touch capable DAPs from Shanling. With Cayin jumping to the very interesting Android based i5 and FiiO dumping the old wheel based OS, Shanling could get left behind." Link of the review: https://headfonics.com/2016/08/the-m5-dap-by-shanling/3/

Thanks for all your advice. I will try to make time to go to the local shop to check if they can let me try out the DAPs. Since all these N3, M2S, i5, M5, and even the upcoming M3S, all use Ak4490 chip, I guess their sound quality should not be too much different from one another, so UI and price will be the determining factor here.

Last edited:
Sep 13, 2017 at 4:38 AM Post #1,584 of 2,460
The reason why I asked that is because a review wrote this section:

"The OS of the M5 is super stable and whilst not touch sensitive or as innovative as Android it is actually fairly speedy and efficient. I do hope though the M5 will be the last of the non-touch capable DAPs from Shanling. With Cayin jumping to the very interesting Android based i5 and FiiO dumping the old wheel based OS, Shanling could get left behind." Link of the review: https://headfonics.com/2016/08/the-m5-dap-by-shanling/3/

Thanks for all your advice. I will try to make time to go to the local shop to check if they can let me try out the DAPs. Since all these N3, M2S, i5, M5, and even the upcoming M3S, all use Ak4490 chip, I guess their sound quality should not be too much different from one another, so UI and price will be the determining factor here.

I see.

You should really not consider the DAC chip to be the main component of your device unless we're talking about TOTL DAPs, because different implementations of the same chip can sound really different, depending on the AMP stages and such. Even with TOTL devices, the implementation and AMPs make most of the difference.

Some people dislike Android, while some like it. I'm in the middle. I love FiiO X5ii, Shanling M2s, but I also love iBasso DX200 and Opus #3/#2, some companies did a really amazing job at implementing Android. Hidizs AP200 for example, is Android, but still in beta. FiiO X5-3 had some users asking for certain features to be implemented in its Android, so it is really not that important of a matter.

The most major difference between Android and non-Android is that touchscreen devices really take more advantage with Android, while devices without a touch screen are probably better without Android.

All of those can work really well if implemented well, since Shanling did a good job with their M2s and implementing it, I don't mind lacking Android - I can connect M2s to my phone through Bluetooth and I can listen to online music, or control M2s through my phone, a lot of potential in this device

Sep 13, 2017 at 6:24 AM Post #1,585 of 2,460
I see.

You should really not consider the DAC chip to be the main component of your device unless we're talking about TOTL DAPs, because different implementations of the same chip can sound really different, depending on the AMP stages and such. Even with TOTL devices, the implementation and AMPs make most of the difference.

Some people dislike Android, while some like it. I'm in the middle. I love FiiO X5ii, Shanling M2s, but I also love iBasso DX200 and Opus #3/#2, some companies did a really amazing job at implementing Android. Hidizs AP200 for example, is Android, but still in beta. FiiO X5-3 had some users asking for certain features to be implemented in its Android, so it is really not that important of a matter.

The most major difference between Android and non-Android is that touchscreen devices really take more advantage with Android, while devices without a touch screen are probably better without Android.

All of those can work really well if implemented well, since Shanling did a good job with their M2s and implementing it, I don't mind lacking Android - I can connect M2s to my phone through Bluetooth and I can listen to online music, or control M2s through my phone, a lot of potential in this device
Thanks a lot for your advice. I figure I should give more info for you guys in order to help myself better. My situation now is that I have a Harmony 8.2 coming in 2 months and I'm using a Sansa Clip Zip with Rockbox. I figure the lady of Winterfell (IYKWIM) won't be a good match for the TOTL CIEM, so that's why I'm in my current search for a new DAP.
So, my requirements for the new DAP are:
1. Affordable, should be < $300, cheaper is better, and 2nd hands are actually preferred.
2. Decent enough DAC chip, to be paired with IEMs/CIEMs only, and to be used as external DAC for my PC/laptop.
3. Easy to use, bug-free UI.
4. Feature that I want most is that I can create/edit playlists easily; and for eg, listening to a track, like it, so can quickly add it to existing playlists.

The 3rd requirement led me to Cayin and Shanling, according to what I've read so far.

I'd definitely make the time to go to the local shop to demo the UI of M2S.

Thanks in advance for any advice/recommendation :D

Sep 13, 2017 at 8:43 AM Post #1,586 of 2,460
Yeah, some people are either way more sensitive than I am or have placebo effect because they know output impedance is over 1ohm. Who knows...
To be frank, I've never really paid much attention to the output impedance of my sources. As long as it doesn't have something like the original AK100's crazy impedance of 22 ohms, I'm pretty much set. I've had and tried my fair share of DAPs since starting this hobby, and I've never really had an issue with output impedance.

Sep 13, 2017 at 8:47 AM Post #1,587 of 2,460
Thanks a lot for your advice. I figure I should give more info for you guys in order to help myself better. My situation now is that I have a Harmony 8.2 coming in 2 months and I'm using a Sansa Clip Zip with Rockbox. I figure the lady of Winterfell (IYKWIM) won't be a good match for the TOTL CIEM, so that's why I'm in my current search for a new DAP.
So, my requirements for the new DAP are:
1. Affordable, should be < $300, cheaper is better, and 2nd hands are actually preferred.
2. Decent enough DAC chip, to be paired with IEMs/CIEMs only, and to be used as external DAC for my PC/laptop.
3. Easy to use, bug-free UI.
4. Feature that I want most is that I can create/edit playlists easily; and for eg, listening to a track, like it, so can quickly add it to existing playlists.

The 3rd requirement led me to Cayin and Shanling, according to what I've read so far.

I'd definitely make the time to go to the local shop to demo the UI of M2S.

Thanks in advance for any advice/recommendation :D
Coming from somewhere who's a big fan of the A&K UI, I must say, the M2S comes very close in terms of usability and function. At first, I was quite suspicious that a non-touchscreen DAP like M2S could be anything good. However, reviews of the DAP were glowing, so I thought, "Hey, why not?", and I've been a big fan ever since. It's relatively easy to learn, and you get access to all the functions that you need over a few clicks. No major issues with the M2S thus far.

Plus, it's small. It's light. And it sounds great. :)

Sep 13, 2017 at 8:51 AM Post #1,588 of 2,460
To be frank, I've never really paid much attention to the output impedance of my sources. As long as it doesn't have something like the original AK100's crazy impedance of 22 ohms, I'm pretty much set. I've had and tried my fair share of DAPs since starting this hobby, and I've never really had an issue with output impedance.

Some users heard some slighty hiss even with sources that have low impedances, I think that most sources are okay as well :darthsmile:

Sep 13, 2017 at 10:18 AM Post #1,589 of 2,460

I've heard a noticeable alteration of sound signature with a 10ohm output impedance when using multi-BA or hybrid IEM. Other than that, I've found that the many DAPs I've tried with relatively low output impedance have been just fine.

Sep 13, 2017 at 10:25 AM Post #1,590 of 2,460
I've heard a noticeable alteration of sound signature with a 10ohm output impedance when using multi-BA or hybrid IEM. Other than that, I've found that the many DAPs I've tried with relatively low output impedance have been just fine.
Yeah, I guess if one specifically looks for the difference(s), you could find something separating 2 DAPs, for example, if the output impedance is markedly different. For me, I am also lucky that I have not tried anything that has a grossly huge impedance that might impair my enjoyment of the product..

Except for that AK100, of course. Thankfully, A&K fixed things on the mk2 version.

Some users heard some slighty hiss even with sources that have low impedances, I think that most sources are okay as well :darthsmile:
Heh. My favorite portable amp is the ALO Rx Mk3-B+, and boy, does this beast hiss like a dragon! The moment I turn it on, the hiss is so immediately obvious. :dizzy_face:

Thankfully, it also sounds great, so once the music starts, everything else just fades away.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back