Shanling M2s Hi-Res DAP with AK4490 + MUSE8920, Bluetooth, & USB Out
Sep 16, 2017 at 1:19 PM Post #1,621 of 2,460
Long thread so i just skimmed through, what os is it running?no wifi i assume?

The M2s is running HibyMusic, like many other DAPs. One of the benefits is that with HibyLink you can control the M2s worth you Android phone using the Android HibyMusic app.

Bluetooth, but no WiFi. You could stream audio from you Android phones to the M2s, but the M2s dissent receive audio in aptX, so the quality would suffer in that case.

Note the M2s will send audio via aptX do it will work great with aptX headphones.

Last edited:
Sep 16, 2017 at 1:23 PM Post #1,622 of 2,460
The M2s is running HibyMusic, lime Manny other DAPs. One of the benefits is that with HibyLink you can control the M2s worth you Android phone using the Android HibyMusic app.

Bluetooth, but no WiFi. You could stream audio from you Android phones to the M2s, but the M2s dissent receive audio in aptX, so the quality would suffer in that case.

Note the M2s will send audio via aptX do it will work great with aptX headphones.
Thanks for the info :) i think ill just stick to my smartphone as i already have external usb dacs and wanted a not so expensive dap to save the battery on my phone but it would have wifi to stream tidal and spotify

Sep 16, 2017 at 1:35 PM Post #1,623 of 2,460
Thanks for the info :) i think ill just stick to my smartphone as i already have external usb dacs and wanted a not so expensive dap to save the battery on my phone but it would have wifi to stream tidal and spotify

I understand. In order to steam Tidal or Spotify it would have to have WiFi and an OS that could run those apps, like Android. But then it would be a more expensive device.

I would of been happy if I could steam Spotify to the M1/M2s with aptX quality, but sadly the BT chip is not capable of both sending and receiving in aptX. Hopefully in a futures model. For now, at the gym, I just stream from muy phone to a small $15 Mpow BT receiver in my pocket.

Sep 17, 2017 at 11:35 AM Post #1,624 of 2,460
Hi guys,

Now come on, is it just me, or is something missing from this review?

https://www.whathifi.com/shanling/m2s/review

I know we are the UK distributor, but in my personal opinion on the M2s is fantastic value for money with a smooth sound that is far from boring and lacking punch....

seems to go against every other review of the M2s out there...
I can't imaging how anyone could ever paint the M2S as being anything but engaging. It isn't a reference level player, yes, but damn, it isn't lacking in dynamism, energy and/or a head-thumping sound.

The review is odd, as its comments and opinions are markedly different from what I'm hearing in my M2S.

Last edited:
Sep 17, 2017 at 3:52 PM Post #1,625 of 2,460
Does formatting the micro SD card on the device ensure that the card is ready to accept any future firmware updates? You could format the card in the device in the first place, right?

I noticed nobody answered your question.

Firstly, device doesn't have option to format SD card. But it's not truly needed, I mostly just buy new card, transfer some music over card reader and it's ready to play. You don't need to worry that much about formating of cards, as it was in past.

100% agree, if it puts anybody off buying an M2s that would be sad, perhaps Shanling should sue What Hifi. :)

Hopefully prospective buyers come to Head-fi to read some positive reviews, before making a decision to give the Shanling DAP range a miss.

Everybody has their opinion, what else can I say...

We can only hope, that while searching for informations on M2s, people will read more than just one review. Hopefully some of the great M2s reviews, that are going more into details of sound and don't care only about the "excitement". :wink:

Shanling Have any question about our players? Just PM me or send me email. Stay updated on Shanling at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Shanling-Audio-603230783166845/ https://twitter.com/ShanlingAudio https://www.instagram.com/shanlingaudio/ http://en.shanling.com/ frankie@shanling.com
Sep 17, 2017 at 5:12 PM Post #1,626 of 2,460
Hopefully some of the great M2s reviews, that are going more into details of sound and don't care only about the "excitement". :wink:
To bring some balance into this discussion, M2s IS a great player, but it does lean towards softer, warmer, round and a wee bit veiled (maybe even dry, to add yet another metaphor) sonic signature, most likely that's what was depicted as "lacking excitement" in the review in question.

Personally I would not necessarily agree that it makes M2s a BAD sounding DAP, (especially taking into account its price and positioning) I believe reviewer became too much overexcited about the lack of excitement which influenced their opinion and evaluation, but I also believe that there is at LEAST some objective truth behind the reviewer's impressions, even if conclusions and resulting judgement are off, IMO.

Sep 17, 2017 at 6:04 PM Post #1,627 of 2,460
I might be alone in this, but dry definitely doesn't come to mind with M2s. I don't find it lacking energy, either. Maybe compared to some of the more v-shaped sounding DAPs. Maybe. But on it's own? Um, nope. Just my two cents. Of course, ymmv...

Sep 17, 2017 at 7:43 PM Post #1,628 of 2,460
Hey folks - thanks for sharing your experiences. Looking for an inexpensive Dap to use in my van with either my Oppo HA2se or a Sony Pha1a. So M2s or N3 or X3iii or DX80 or Sony low end Dap. I want to be able to have Dap & dac/amp hooked up to power during use in my van. Any advice? I would expect SQ to be decent enough going with any of the Daps I mentioned. Thanks in advance.

Sep 17, 2017 at 7:48 PM Post #1,629 of 2,460
Hi guys,

Now come on, is it just me, or is something missing from this review?

https://www.whathifi.com/shanling/m2s/review

I know we are the UK distributor, but in my personal opinion on the M2s is fantastic value for money with a smooth sound that is far from boring and lacking punch....

seems to go against every other review of the M2s out there...

Agreed. It literally doesn't matter whether you're the official dealer or not, a good product is a good product, M2s is really nice at its price range, and I am quite honestly enjoying it when I take it out... That review is rather strange indeed.

Yeah Opus #2 is my reference player, and the M2s doesn't have the refinement of the #2 but then again it is a fraction of the price. The M2s is slightly warm in comparison, but still offers an engaging sound with excellent detail, especially when you look at the price of it.

Also an Opus #2 fan, and I really don't think that it should go in the same category as M2s at any time of the day, Opus #2 is an ultimate DAP priced like a TOTL DAP, while M2s is a mini DAP that is like an swiss army knife DAP which can do tons of stuff in a small package and with a nice price tag.

Sep 17, 2017 at 7:51 PM Post #1,630 of 2,460
I might be alone in this, but dry definitely doesn't come to mind with M2s. I don't find it lacking energy, either. Maybe compared to some of the more v-shaped sounding DAPs. Maybe. But on it's own? Um, nope. Just my two cents. Of course, ymmv...

I wholeheartedly agree with this, M2s is rather liquid in its signature, a dry or really fast DAP is something like DX200, who can show a lot of detail and has that very very fast kind of sound which I actually love (Dry = tons of details, resolving sound for my ears), but M2s really comes like a somewhat bassy, DAP with a clear sound, an energetic top end and with good impact.

Sep 17, 2017 at 9:31 PM Post #1,633 of 2,460
Besides the bigger screen size and button layout, what would be some reasons to upgrade/select the M2s over the M1?

A slightly more refined fuller audio. Off your going to use it to sit and enjoy your music, maybe.

If for use on the go or at the gym, I'd just stick with the M1 as yippy not likely to notice the difference in that use case.

At least that's my take, I have both.

Last edited:
Sep 17, 2017 at 11:21 PM Post #1,635 of 2,460
A slightly more refined fuller audio. Off your going to use it to sit and enjoy your music, maybe.

If for use on the go or at the gym, I'd just stick with the M1 as yippy not likely to notice the difference in that use case.

At least that's my take, I have both.

Thank you that's quite helpful. Do you think it's okay to bring the M2s on a run/to the gym? Apparently the M2s is 100 grams while the M1 is 60 grams which seems a minimal difference. Do you notice a big difference in size/weight?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back