Shanling M2s Hi-Res DAP with AK4490 + MUSE8920, Bluetooth, & USB Out
Sep 17, 2017 at 11:39 PM Post #1,637 of 2,460
Thank you that's quite helpful. Do you think it's okay to bring the M2s on a run/to the gym? Apparently the M2s is 100 grams while the M1 is 60 grams which seems a minimal difference. Do you notice a big difference in size/weight?

It's not going to be huge, there both small, but I can tell. I do like how small the M1 is and the separate case you can get for it is superior to the M2s case, as it can be attached to a belt or arm strap. If I was working out or running I definitely go with the M1 myself.

I don;t find the sound quality difference to be so apparent that as to make a difference in my enjoyment while working out. I have to listen and compare listen and compare to really notice. Others may feel differently.

Hi there, do you have any update on adding sensitivity feature in firmware update? Just received my M2s and wheel skips are unbearable; one wheel click randomly jumps 1,2 or 3 menu lines at a time. You have to correct selection after each click.

Check to see you on the latest firmware. Look here:

http://www.shanling.com/download/List

If not but it in the root of you SD card and navigate to System settings> system update and click ok (check mark).

the wheel takes a little getting used to. Navigating is usually ok, though volume is had to click one level at a time.

Sep 17, 2017 at 11:45 PM Post #1,638 of 2,460
Besides the bigger screen size and button layout, what would be some reasons to upgrade/select the M2s over the M1?

I'd take a wild guess and say that the sound would be a major factor in this decision.

Yes, sound quality takes a noticeable jump with M2s. Whereas M1 is what I would consider "just good enough" for standalone use, M2s easily justifies it's existence as a standalone DAP.

Sep 17, 2017 at 11:45 PM Post #1,639 of 2,460
It's not going to be huge, there both small, but I can tell. I do like how small the M1 is and the separate case you can get for it is superior to the M2s case, as it can be attached to a belt or arm strap. If I was working out or running I definitely go with the M1 myself.

I don;t find the sound quality difference to be so apparent that as to make a difference in my enjoyment while working out. I have to listen and compare listen and compare to really notice. Others may feel differently.

Check to see you on the latest firmware. Look here:

http://www.shanling.com/download/List

If not but it in the root of you SD card and navigate to System settings> system update and click ok (check mark).

the wheel takes a little getting used to. Navigating is usually ok, though volume is had to click one level at a time.

Yeah, I have updated to the latest firmware 2.20. Made no difference, unfortunately:frowning2: Volume level is skipping too. I can live with skipping volume but menu navigation is less than acceptable.

Sep 19, 2017 at 3:12 AM Post #1,642 of 2,460
Hey all.
Unit is awesome, looks good, sounds good...
But i have some questions about Bluetooth feature.

For example...
I listen player on headphones, my volume is about 30, when i put it in to car audio by Bluetooth, sound level is still 30, and each time i need to increase volume level from 30 to 100.
This is very uneasy and slow, of course i can increase volume directly on my car audio, but when if i turn M2S off, the sound level will be is too high, what wrong with this?
The same thing if i use M2S with my Bluetooth headset...
I dont understood, why i need a M2S volume control feature for Bluetooth streaming, if i can easily control volume directly on my car audio, or Bluetooth headset?

May be a possible to add some new firmware feature, for default sound level for Bluetooth?

And second.
If i use equalizer, and want to tune some frequencies, why the wheel is working reversing, i turn wheel down, frequencies go up, i turn wheel up, frequencies go down. Why? )
Firmware is latest 2.20

Thanks.

Sep 19, 2017 at 10:19 AM Post #1,644 of 2,460
Just got my M2S today and it's freaking awesome!!! Anyway, does anyone know how to create favourite tracks? Been looking through the manuals but can't figure it out.

(from memory, i don't have my unit in front of me)

while you're on the track screen (where music is playing), press and hold the scroll button, this should bring up a new menu where you can mark the track as your favorite. Once done, the heart shape should now be filled red.

Sep 19, 2017 at 11:38 AM Post #1,645 of 2,460
Hey folks - thanks for sharing your experiences. Looking for an inexpensive Dap to use in my van with either my Oppo HA2se or a Sony Pha1a. So M2s or N3 or X3iii or DX80 or Sony low end Dap. I want to be able to have Dap & dac/amp hooked up to power during use in my van. Any advice? I would expect SQ to be decent enough going with any of the Daps I mentioned. Thanks in advance.
I've listened to the M2S, the DX80 and a Sony A35. All 3 are good DAPs, and you shouldn't have any issues with either of them. If good sound is what you're after, and you're hunting in this price range, you can't go wrong with the M2S.

Bear in mind though, the Sony A-Series of DAPs do not have a line out via the headphone jack. The line out is passed through the Walkman port, so hunting for a cable is a little difficult.

However, as the M2S does not have a touch screen, this might be a factor in your decision, if you're constantly changing tracks when driving (not that I'd recommend doing so). :wink:

Sep 19, 2017 at 10:56 PM Post #1,646 of 2,460
(from memory, i don't have my unit in front of me)

while you're on the track screen (where music is playing), press and hold the scroll button, this should bring up a new menu where you can mark the track as your favorite. Once done, the heart shape should now be filled red.

Thanks mate! Finally found out how. It's under the long press menu then "add to playlist" and "my favourites".

Appreciate it.

Sep 20, 2017 at 1:17 AM Post #1,648 of 2,460
I've listened to the M2S, the DX80 and a Sony A35. All 3 are good DAPs, and you shouldn't have any issues with either of them. If good sound is what you're after, and you're hunting in this price range, you can't go wrong with the M2S.

Bear in mind though, the Sony A-Series of DAPs do not have a line out via the headphone jack. The line out is passed through the Walkman port, so hunting for a cable is a little difficult.

However, as the M2S does not have a touch screen, this might be a factor in your decision, if you're constantly changing tracks when driving (not that I'd recommend doing so). :wink:

Thanks malevolent

Sep 20, 2017 at 4:10 PM Post #1,649 of 2,460
I truly like new titanium colour on our M3s. And I'm so happy we can bring it to M2s too!

Shanling Have any question about our players? Just PM me or send me email. Stay updated on Shanling at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Shanling-Audio-603230783166845/ https://twitter.com/ShanlingAudio https://www.instagram.com/shanlingaudio/ http://en.shanling.com/ frankie@shanling.com
Sep 20, 2017 at 9:50 PM Post #1,650 of 2,460
Android on a DAP is an abomination and should never be tolerated. :thumbsdown: :upside_down: :relaxed: :upside_down:

Really? Why do plenty of people keep on buying android daps if that's the case? Could you please enlighten me? I currently own 2 daps that are non android and was thinking of buying an android dap in the future to play spotify / tidal on it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back