Shanling M1: An iPod Nano Competitor / DAP || USB DAC || USB Transport || Bluetooth 4.0 + aptX || DSD
Oct 10, 2016 at 5:21 AM Post #572 of 3,480
Can anyone compare this to the Hidizs AP60, xDuoo X3 and Colorfly C3?

Edit: added x3 and c3.

Went to Jaben Singapore during lunch time with the intention to try out the Hidizs AP60 with Cayin i5, Fiio E17K and UE Pro Reference Remastered towing along.

The first thing that came to my mind when handed a demo set was:" Wow this is tiny!"
It looked well made but there were already some areas with colours chipped off.

I thought the AP60's sound wasn't bad for the money except that it just didn't have that sparkle or resolve to make it an exciting player. Bass was good but not as articulate as i5. Treble is adequate but not as good as the E17K which IMHO, has great separations and soundstage.

The real deal breaker was the interface and the touch screen. It was not accurate at all and I simply couldn't get where I wanted. To make matter worse, it was very sensitive. Then there were some weird behaviour that I can only contribute them to early firmware. And oh, where are the freaking (fast) forward and backward functions?

So I decided to return it and the sales girl, with an expectant look, pulled out a M1 demo unit, handed it to me and said:" This is better, try it" And so I did.

Within minutes, my toes were tapping and I felt bliss.

No, the player doesn't care about details, the treble is slightly bright but the pace is good and more layered than the E17K. The bass is adequate but here i5 is better. Voice is more forward than both.
The advantage with this player though, is its more forgiving with the sources.

On the sound alone, I was sold. As Jaben just brought it in today and I was the first customer who bought it together with a cover, I was given a good discount. :wink:

On this page I thought I need to touch a little on the workmanship, interface and performance.

Workmanship
For the money, this is worth every cent except the plastic strip which is probably needed to reduce interference with the Bluetooth. Definitely better built than the AP60.

Interface
All the buttons are very well placed such that they can all be operated with just one hand. Very nice. Unfortunately, the wheel is both a boon and a bane: you can't change the volume while accessing the menu. I really need to get used to that and it can be a deal breaker to some.

Performance
Its literally zero shut down and start up time, it scans the songs quickly and gets to work immediately. The whole thing simply feels zippy. The screen is beautiful and refreshes quickly while AP60's looks washed out.

All in all I am very happy with M1 out of the box and I find the price fully justified. I'd expect it to perform even better after sufficiently run-in.

Oct 10, 2016 at 5:28 AM Post #573 of 3,480
Very intrigued with the bluetooth receiver function.. Have similar device made by Nokia, but it hiss like Sin..
Being able to output to a DAC while still act as a bluetooth is intriguing too. If all goes well, will pick one up. :)

Oct 10, 2016 at 5:30 AM Post #574 of 3,480

Went to Jaben Singapore during lunch time with the intention to try out the Hidizs AP60 with Cayin i5, Fiio E17K and UE Pro Reference Remastered towing along.

The first thing that came to my mind when handed a demo set was:" Wow this is tiny!"
It looked well made but there were already some areas with colours chipped off.

I thought the AP60's sound wasn't bad for the money except that it just didn't have that sparkle or resolve to make it an exciting player. Bass was good but not as articulate as i5. Treble is adequate but not as good as the E17K which IMHO, has great separations and soundstage.

The real deal breaker was the interface and the touch screen. It was not accurate at all and I simply couldn't get where I wanted. To make matter worse, it was very sensitive. Then there were some weird behaviour that I can only contribute them to early firmware. And oh, where are the freaking (fast) forward and backward functions?

So I decided to return it and the sales girl, with an expectant look, pulled out a M1 demo unit, handed it to me and said:" This is better, try it" And so I did.

Within minutes, my toes were tapping and I felt bliss.

No, the player doesn't care about details, the treble is slightly bright but the pace is good and more layered than the E17K. The bass is adequate but here i5 is better. Voice is more forward than both.
The advantage with this player though, is its more forgiving with the sources.

On the sound alone, I was sold. As Jaben just brought it in today and I was the first customer who bought it together with a cover, I was given a good discount. :wink:

On this page I thought I need to touch a little on the workmanship, interface and performance.

Workmanship
For the money, this is worth every cent except the plastic strip which is probably needed to reduce interference with the Bluetooth. Definitely better built than the AP60.

Interface
All the buttons are very well placed such that they can all be operated with just one hand. Very nice. Unfortunately, the wheel is both a boon and a bane: you can't change the volume while accessing the menu. I really need to get used to that and it can be a deal breaker to some.

Performance
Its literally zero shut down and start up time, it scans the songs quickly and gets to work immediately. The whole thing simply feels zippy. The screen is beautiful and refreshes quickly while AP60's looks washed out.

All in all I am very happy with M1 out of the box and I find the price fully justified. I'd expect it to perform even better after sufficiently run-in.

I agree with most of what you are saying, but I do find that the bright trebble makes it no forgiving at all on mediocre recordings.

Oct 10, 2016 at 5:51 AM Post #575 of 3,480

It could work, but you need to make sure that it is a USB-C OTG cable. The keypoint is on the C dock-whether this end supports OTG output. 

Thanks. 

Shanling Have any question about our players? Just PM me or send me email. Stay updated on Shanling at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Shanling-Audio-603230783166845/ https://twitter.com/ShanlingAudio https://www.instagram.com/shanlingaudio/ http://en.shanling.com/ frankie@shanling.com
Oct 10, 2016 at 7:18 AM Post #577 of 3,480
Hey 
  I agree with most of what you are saying, but I do find that the bright trebble makes it no forgiving at all on mediocre recordings.

Hello Mimouille. I have been looking for a replacement for the iBasso DX50 for some time. I remember coming across you in an iBasso DX50 thread. So I was hoping you could give a brief impression of the M1 vs the DX50.

Oct 10, 2016 at 12:08 PM Post #580 of 3,480
  Workmanship

If true, I look forward to giving this a try. Lots of wireless interference where I work. If there's no American distributor, I guess I can order from a Canadian one.

One question about the case: How does this player attach to straps, like in the pictures? There's a woman with a workout strap, and a man has this attached to his bag's strap. Is there a clip or attachment somewhere on the case?

Edit: A-ha, looks like I found the American distributor. 

America

1. Distributor:Gold Dust Global LLC
  2. Tel:/
  3. Address:36 Berkley Drive Newark Delaware, 19702 US
  4. Contacts:Gold Dust Global LLC
  5. Type:Portable Digital

Oct 10, 2016 at 12:17 PM Post #581 of 3,480

I suppose it depends on the headphones/earphones as I realized that the UERR does indeed smooths out the treble a little. I did notice this when one of my favourite songs did not show up any clippings. Pulled out the GR07 bass edition which has profound V shaped sound signature and did experience overly bright treble. Then again, this is a pair of cans that goes extreme both ways. Thus, the bass was also amplified.

That said, I feel it might be too early to judge the player. After all, it took me more than a month to run in the Cayin i5.

Oct 10, 2016 at 12:22 PM Post #582 of 3,480
  If true, I look forward to giving this a try. Lots of wireless interference where I work. If there's no American distributor, I guess I can order from a Canadian one.

One question about the case: How does this player attach to straps, like in the pictures? There's a woman with a workout strap, and a man has this attached to his bag's strap. Is there a clip or attachment somewhere on the case?

There's a flap that folds to the back and then below to be fastened with a clip. The gap created allows the strap to pass through.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back