Shanling M1: An iPod Nano Competitor / DAP || USB DAC || USB Transport || Bluetooth 4.0 + aptX || DSD
Nov 18, 2019 at 8:46 AM Post #3,467 of 3,480
Thanks for this. Is this a common thing? Why did the battery die?

Unfortunately, lithium battery failure is fairly common and usually results from drops, bumps, bruises, or in-appropriate charge rates but it can be a myriad of little things so pin-pointing any one item that was the cause is tough. (No single raindrop thinks it caused the flood). This particular device was given to me for repair when the battery failed so I don't have the whole back-story for it. Any time an Li battery starts getting hotter than usual or starts to swell, quit using it immediately and have it replaced. These batteries WILL explode and burn and give off some really toxic fumes while doing so. They are not to be dismissed lightly. That is part of why I stress using soft plastic tools around the batteries and going slowly and gently, puncturing one of these batteries can result in 3rd degree burns to the user.

Last edited:
Nov 18, 2019 at 9:39 PM Post #3,469 of 3,480
Shanling Have any question about our players? Just PM me or send me email. Stay updated on Shanling at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Shanling-Audio-603230783166845/ https://twitter.com/ShanlingAudio https://www.instagram.com/shanlingaudio/ http://en.shanling.com/ frankie@shanling.com
Nov 21, 2019 at 10:10 AM Post #3,470 of 3,480
Nov 30, 2019 at 12:16 AM Post #3,471 of 3,480
I just got the battery from Shenzen. The back panel the original pack is stuck to is glass and the adhesive is super strong. Even being careful with plastic spudgers I broke the panel. Fortunately the battery wasn't breached. Now I have to make a new panel from Lexan. Odd that the battery failed so soon. I just had to replace a battery on a 15 year old iPod Photo that was only at 50% of the original capacity.

Dec 21, 2019 at 3:33 PM Post #3,472 of 3,480
i updated my M1 some months ago to the latest available firmware and i noticed that the auto-standby does not work anymore, did anyone experience the same thing? setting auto-standby to any setting from 1min to 10min does not change anything and the player stays on until it runs out of battery and die.. did they bork the firmware?

Jan 23, 2020 at 11:08 AM Post #3,473 of 3,480
I have an M1. Love this little device, even though it is a couple of years old. I am having a problem updating the firmware to the Shanling latest which is 4.6. My device currently has the 4.0 firmware.

I tried the update on a 16GB card formatted FAT32. When i invoke firmware update, the initial logo is displayed twice, and the machine boots for regular operation. It does not recognize the firmware update file.

I am wondering if anyone knows what might be why this is not updating?

Jan 23, 2020 at 1:14 PM Post #3,474 of 3,480
I have an M1. Love this little device, even though it is a couple of years old. I am having a problem updating the firmware to the Shanling latest which is 4.6. My device currently has the 4.0 firmware.

I tried the update on a 16GB card formatted FAT32. When i invoke firmware update, the initial logo is displayed twice, and the machine boots for regular operation. It does not recognize the firmware update file.

I am wondering if anyone knows what might be why this is not updating?

Did you unzip the downloaded file, and place just the .bin file on the memory card?
If you did, you might try downloading a new copy from the website, and unzipping the new update file onto your device.

Mar 8, 2020 at 11:56 PM Post #3,475 of 3,480
Hi. I try to fix old issue with m1. Any bluetooth earphones (i used many of them, such Apple, freebuds 1-2-3, Xiaomi air2, some noname and more). All of them plays on very low volume, more than 5-8 times lower volume that I get from smartphone. I remember some time ago apple plays loud, my noname also play loud. I suspect hidden settings prevent bluetooth transmitter send enough power.

Apr 29, 2020 at 3:24 PM Post #3,476 of 3,480
Hi folks, any advice appreciated for this. The USB connection on the M1 has gone bad, any USB port on the PC I plug it into stops working, so I cannot transfer files or even charge. I tried a different cable, reinstalling the update and restoring factory settings. Many thanks for any ideas.

Apr 29, 2020 at 10:17 PM Post #3,477 of 3,480
Hi folks, any advice appreciated for this. The USB connection on the M1 has gone bad, any USB port on the PC I plug it into stops working, so I cannot transfer files or even charge. I tried a different cable, reinstalling the update and restoring factory settings. Many thanks for any ideas.

If you want to give a shot at resoldering the USB jack, the M1 comes apart by applying some light heat, and popping the screen off of the front.

Jan 5, 2021 at 6:17 AM Post #3,479 of 3,480
Hi, my M1 will be 4 years old this coming July and it's starting to wear out. The battery charges in full quickly as normal, and also depleted quickly even when playing 50% volume mp3 files. Do you suggest me to replace battery or buy a new DAP? If new DAP, what would be your suggestion? I think I'll pass with Shanling brand, their products seems to last 2-4years only.

Jan 6, 2021 at 10:21 AM Post #3,480 of 3,480
Hi, my M1 will be 4 years old this coming July and it's starting to wear out. The battery charges in full quickly as normal, and also depleted quickly even when playing 50% volume mp3 files. Do you suggest me to replace battery or buy a new DAP? If new DAP, what would be your suggestion? I think I'll pass with Shanling brand, their products seems to last 2-4years only.

I think you may find that most any device that uses a rechargeable battery (either Li-Ion or Li-Poly), will need to have the battery replaced after 2 - 4 years, depending on how often, and how many times, the battery has been recharged.
Some "premium" devices may use higher quality, more expensive batteries - but even those will have to be replaced, sooner or later - if you want to have the same operating time, after a charge.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back