Shanling ET3 - Dedicated Digital CD Transport, With USB Drive and Wi-Fi Support
Dec 10, 2023 at 7:11 PM Post #316 of 755
DLNA compatibility is a big bonus.
As for HDD/SSD, I would not bother connecting it via USB to the CD player. In my experience it sounds better to serve files via DLNA, too. I expect you can play it through the ET3 that way as well. I tested this with 4-5 streamers, and all sounded better when the files were not served via local USB (local PCIe is another story). I guess it might be related to EM/RF noise / computation needs. But for some reason I mostly preferred Qobuz streaming vs local file streaming, and CD playback to Qobuz (16/44.1), but I guess my CD players were just better than my streamers.

Purely as a CD transport, how does the ET3 sound quality compare to other hot CD transports like the new Audiolab 9000CDT, ProJect RS2T, etc?
Perhaps if you had it connected to a PC, you would have all the issues of computational needs of the PC. However it might be different with the ET-3. The good news however is when the HDD is connected to the ET-3, you can either play it using synch link or as a NAS using DLNA. :)

Dec 11, 2023 at 5:33 PM Post #318 of 755
Perhaps if you had it connected to a PC, you would have all the issues of computational needs of the PC. However it might be different with the ET-3. The good news however is when the HDD is connected to the ET-3, you can either play it using synch link or as a NAS using DLNA. :)

If you use the ET3 + USB-HDD to serve files via DLNA, that's okay (good if you say the ET3 supports that, since that's a low noise music server), but I was referring to playing back files from the HDD attached to the ET3 via USB: then, the ET3 needs to run its compute unit at full load, handling USB + drivers + buffering etc, plus the DLNA sw stack, and what I wanted to say is that in my experience that has been detrimental to the sound in all streamers I tried (all more expensive than the ET3). Direct USB storage connection is only for convenience IMHO. Local PCIe (e.g. M.2 NVMe) is far better, but still the SSD drives have a lot of noise which needs to be handled, so I'd still prefer isolated NAS, the simpler the better (e.g. Lumin L1 or such).

Dec 11, 2023 at 6:29 PM Post #319 of 755
If you use the ET3 + USB-HDD to serve files via DLNA, that's okay (good if you say the ET3 supports that, since that's a low noise music server), but I was referring to playing back files from the HDD attached to the ET3 via USB: then, the ET3 needs to run its compute unit at full load, handling USB + drivers + buffering etc, plus the DLNA sw stack, and what I wanted to say is that in my experience that has been detrimental to the sound in all streamers I tried (all more expensive than the ET3). Direct USB storage connection is only for convenience IMHO. Local PCIe (e.g. M.2 NVMe) is far better, but still the SSD drives have a lot of noise which needs to be handled, so I'd still prefer isolated NAS, the simpler the better (e.g. Lumin L1 or such).
Indeed. Good thing is ET-3 can run it both ways.

One of the NAS I am able to run with the ET-3 is the Melco NAS that is quite separate in any event. ET-3 recognises the Minimserver database for the Melco as well. :)

Dec 11, 2023 at 6:31 PM Post #320 of 755
MUCH appreciated! Let us know how it works out for you. More than likely, I can then follow suit [Deo volente].

When is the queue for matching your components? at check-out? [I was just over at the site.]
Cable arrived today. I just hooked it up... IT WORKS!!! I honestly don't know what I'm doing here. I'll show you what I selected and what I'm getting at the dac. And, I haven't done any updates to the A26 or the ET3.

20231211_182706.jpg
20231211_181644.jpg
20231211_181631.jpg

And, to answer your question about conveying what you're putting together. During checkout, there is a comment section. I listed the two components there. No issues. Took a couple days longer to get here than I expected but it was delivered by snail mail this afternoon.

Last edited:
Dec 11, 2023 at 6:52 PM Post #321 of 755
The Shanling is a lot more versatile than the NuPrime and I have really been enjoying the ET3 with CD playback lately, as well.
However, will first have to a/b the ET3 vs. the [NuPrime] CDT-8 using the S.M.S.L. D400EX and AES/EBU or Toslink before finalizing the i2s cable.
The NuPrime has another strike against it, in that its upsampling went caput within a week after I got it [used].
Plan to set up the SMSL D400EX and the SMSL SP400 for formal testing--maybe tomorrow, Deo volente.

Dec 12, 2023 at 5:19 AM Post #322 of 755
By the way… it’s actually a good thing that ET3 use AirPlay1, because AirPlay2 does use AAC stream instead of ALAC, so AP1 is the only way to get lossless CD quality stream.

I know. It’s kind of counterintuitive that newer solution is less capable, but well… I guess Apple doesn’t care that much about audiophiles 😉

Dec 12, 2023 at 6:23 AM Post #323 of 755
Hi.

I may have missed it somewhere but I'm curious. I own an NAD M10V2. Is it possible to just connect the ET3 to the NAD or does it need to go through a DAC first then only the NAD? Many thanks in advance.

Gibran

Dec 12, 2023 at 7:23 AM Post #325 of 755
By the way… it’s actually a good thing that ET3 use AirPlay1, because AirPlay2 does use AAC stream instead of ALAC, so AP1 is the only way to get lossless CD quality stream.

I know. It’s kind of counterintuitive that newer solution is less capable, but well… I guess Apple doesn’t care that much about audiophiles 😉
Oh… that is interesting. I have not tried Airplay yet. So, it will stream out ALAC? Via Apple Music, I assume?

Dec 12, 2023 at 7:26 AM Post #326 of 755
Some Tuesday evening chilling with the ET-3. DLNA streaming from Melco NA10. The SAEQ Hyperion Ge amplifier also has a wonderful lush signature that complements the Shanling house sound. :)

IMG_1326.jpeg

Dec 12, 2023 at 9:20 AM Post #329 of 755

Users who are viewing this thread

Back