Sennheiser's Own Balanced Cables for HD 600/650, HD 700, and HD 800 Available This Week
Jan 5, 2014 at 3:43 PM Post #196 of 247
  OK, but understand that Canare cable is a good but basic cable used mostly in the pro audio world and selling for about $1 a foot or so for the raw cable (unterminated).  My experience with Canare was that it was good but exceeded in quality (sound quality) by higher end brands.

You are correct on all those points, there are certainly higher quality cables available.  But if somebody doesn't want to buy that big boy cable at least the Canare keeps the cost down.  You're basically paying for the labor.  A lot of people just want a different connector or something a little more durable than stock

Jan 5, 2014 at 4:08 PM Post #197 of 247
  You're basically paying for the labor.  

Labor and the cost to stock or special order all the different connector options. 
Another factor to the high cost of boutique cables is that their customers demand boutique connectors, which can also be costly.
They need to make a profit on this use of capital as well. 

Jan 5, 2014 at 4:12 PM Post #198 of 247
  OK, but understand that Canare cable is a good but basic cable used mostly in the pro audio world and selling for about $1 a foot or so for the raw cable (unterminated).  My experience with Canare was that it was good but exceeded in quality (sound quality) by higher end brands.

There are more expensive cables but they may not be "better" for this application where weight, flexibility and microphonics are all critical, not to mention the ability to solder well in mini connectors. IMO a sophisticated cable is not ideal for headphones if it is stiff, heavy, hard to solder into small connectors or subject to noise.

Jan 5, 2014 at 4:30 PM Post #199 of 247
  There are more expensive cables but they may not be "better" for this application where weight, flexibility and microphonics are all critical, not to mention the ability to solder well in mini connectors. IMO a sophisticated cable is not ideal for headphones if it is stiff, heavy, hard to solder into small connectors or subject to noise.

I was referring to sound quality not the other characteristics.  That said, some of the other higher end cables don't necessarily have to be stiff, heavy, subject to noise, etc.

Jan 5, 2014 at 4:41 PM Post #200 of 247
  I was referring to sound quality not the other characteristics.  That said, some of the other higher end cables don't necessarily have to be stiff, heavy, subject to noise, etc.

It is hard to enjoy the sound quality if a cable is heavy, noisy or stiff. The best/worst cable i had was a DHC with techflex that you could hear scratch every time you moved. My point is only that headphone cables are subject to different use than any other audio cables = we move around - and that is a critical factor. The stock Senn cables while either inexpensive and cheap looking (SE) or overpriced and cheap looking (Balanced) are at least long, quiet, flexible and practical. Some of the exotic cables are cumbersome at the same useful 3M length IME

Jan 5, 2014 at 5:20 PM Post #202 of 247
  Mambosenior could probably offer an unbiased opinion since he has one of the Canare 800 cables.  In my opinion a cable made with Canare will usually exceed or at least equal most stock cables in sound quality.

I agree that one can make great cables with pro/studio components ie. Canare, Mogami, Neutrik. 
These cables can also be customized in terms of length and connectors so one ends up with a more enjoyable product than stock.
I have found more exotic cables often come with some compromise (value, weight, stiffness, noise etc) that compromises their performance for headphones.

Jan 22, 2014 at 4:59 PM Post #205 of 247
So soon I'll have a new Auric (midprice) shorter cable from C3. When I get back to NZ in Feb I'll try it on older HD420s and 650s as well. The older Cardas 10 footer was too much to leg around my CPU sound card out to NICO's V4. Wonder how it will compare SQ. More news at Eleven.  Listen to more Jazz.          Alejandro

Feb 12, 2014 at 1:05 PM Post #206 of 247

Does anyone know off hand how Senn attach their wires, regular soldering, cold welded…?

HD700 thread
Quote:
  While waiting for my 700s to return from Sennheiser I ordered the ingredients to complete up my balanced cable, one Neutrik 4 pin gold xlr, Lunashops HD700 micro mini jacks and some quad core Canare mic cable, so basically similar to my HD580/600 cable.

Long story short I came across an original  Sennheiser HD700 OEM cable on ebay for a silly price while waiting for my jacks from China and just put the Neutrik on that one.
Now trying to decide if I should replace the jacks with the Lunashops or still make up the Canare seeing I cannot compare the stock or balanced cables until I get the 700s back.

Does anyone know off hand how Senn attach their wires, regular soldering, cold welded…?
The Lunashops jacks are nice but if the Senns are not soldered I’ll leave them to eliminate one more solder joint.

Mar 5, 2014 at 10:37 AM Post #207 of 247
I'm listening to my HD 800s and comparing the standard cable to the CH800s cable (loan from dealer) via auralic taurus (and valves and vinyl). So whats the problem? I am not an expert but it sounds to me like the balanced cables give more of the same in terms of clarity, sounstage and so forth so where is the downside????  I would be quite happy with these.......

Mar 5, 2014 at 7:20 PM Post #208 of 247
Not sure why this thread came my way...but I am chuffed with my 6' Auric/Audience HD650 cable from Charleston Cable. It's heavy but still has portability and the sound trumps stock cable by miles and is more alive than the 10' Cardas Blue I got 4 years ago with my 650s. SQ is robust, detailed to the 9s and allows bass definition unlike anything I've yet heard with this fine 'phone. The owner is very high on customer service. Buy through his own site. He'll tailor the ends to meet your needs. Gave me a good deal too!   alejandro

Mar 15, 2014 at 1:20 AM Post #209 of 247
  Great, thx for the info. Now to look for balanced DAC/AMP.

Take a look at the Matrix Mini-i pro http://www.matrix-digi.com/en/products/59/index.html 

If you don't need DSD even last years model (which I've been using happily) is a decent, less expensive model, albeit with a 16/48 USB limit.

The new 2014 standard and pro have a USB capability of 24bit/384kHz PCM as well as a better headphone amp. The Mini-i pro is also DSD capable.

If I had the cash I'd buy either the pro (ESS SABRE Ultra ES9016) or the new standard Mini-i (2X AD1955 but no DSD). Worth a look at least.
<br />

Mar 15, 2014 at 4:20 AM Post #210 of 247
Good on ya Hellenback. ME, I want a DAC w/o a built-in amp...the Neco V4 meets all my needs for a portability and my Lil Dot 1+ for the main room where rest of hifi rig sits and I want music without big speakers on. So if you or another reader can recommend a DAC or DAP (less likely) without a built-in amp...I will be chuffed to search out. And for me also: DSD will be very important.     Thanks,  alejandro

Users who are viewing this thread

Back