Sennheiser's Own Balanced Cables for HD 600/650, HD 700, and HD 800 Available This Week
Dec 23, 2013 at 4:22 AM Post #166 of 247
I don't think you understand the difference between general audio "balanced" and the way it gets used in the headphone realm.

Really, there shouldn't have to be a difference for anyone to understand. It should mean the same thing in the headphone realm as it means in the rest of the audio realm. Co-opting a term that has had a specific meaning for over a century and using it to mean something different makes the headphone realm look a bit backwaterish.

se

... right. electrically it makes no difference at all whether we talk about a front-end as i.e. a microphone or a turntable-pick-up (conducted in a balanced way to a balanced RIAA pre-amp), or in-between other audio equipment along the way, or a rear-end as a connection to a headphone.... the basic principles of "real balanced" always remain the same... Only if we talk about "active balanced ground" it would be a slightly different story then (...different concerning the way it works; the effect is still the sane...).

In my setup I found balanced connections most useful for MC pickups since their signals can be so very "weak", that a proper balanced connection on the way to the pre-amp was having a very positive effect.... also on the long way from pre-amp to my active loudspeakers I definitely prefer balanced.

But frankly, with those relatively strong headphone signals I wasn't really able to hear significant improvement between balanced or not, as long as both cables were of comparable quality (material copper or silver a.s.o.) and the amp's single ended output was on par with with the balanced output...

...and just to anticipate those "a balanced headphone cabling must always & necessarily be superior" advocates and protectionists... no, I am not deaf... yet...

Dec 24, 2013 at 8:00 AM Post #167 of 247
I asked my engineer uncle what he thinks about balanced headphone cables, and he looked at me a bit weird. He didn't know such things existed, and couldn't see why they would be any better than regular headphone cables. 

Balanced preamp is completely different story though.

Dec 25, 2013 at 2:34 AM Post #168 of 247
If your headphone amplifier is designed to be balanced, using it single ended is counterintuitive - why buy a balanced amplifier in the first place (often they cost more than single ended equivalent)?  In any case I would not buy one of these knowing that there are many third party cable makers who can make lighter, more attractive cables using higher quality materials for the same money or less.  Just IMHO.

Dec 25, 2013 at 2:42 AM Post #169 of 247
  If your headphone amplifier is designed to be balanced, using it single ended is counterintuitive - why buy a balanced amplifier in the first place (often they cost more than single ended equivalent)?  In any case I would not buy one of these knowing that there are many third party cable makers who can make lighter, more attractive cables using higher quality materials for the same money or less.  Just IMHO.

Certainly agree. If your balanced amplifier has a SE and 4 pin XLR output you're not getting your money's worth (so to speak) by only using in SE. But for some people, they'll use the amplifier single ended, and when their budget allows get a new cable. Heck, with this price, it could be a major budget consideration! 

Really, there shouldn't have to be a difference for anyone to understand. It should mean the same thing in the headphone realm as it means in the rest of the audio realm. Co-opting a term that has had a specific meaning for over a century and using it to mean something different makes the headphone realm look a bit backwaterish.

se

Agreed. It was a very confusing concept for me to grasp the first go around. "But ... headphones.... where's the ground?!?!"

On the other hand, if only that naming convention makes us look backwaterish, I think we're doing pretty well for ourselves 
wink.gif

Dec 25, 2013 at 12:55 PM Post #170 of 247

se

"Fully Differential" is a much cooler buzzword than than "balanced" anyways.

Dec 26, 2013 at 5:11 PM Post #171 of 247
As a scientist, it's really refreshing to see the community growing less superstitious over the years. Though everyone is entitled to their own opinions, I've observed "fads" and misinformation come and go, and it seems the days of grossly overpriced cables might be ending soon.

Contrarily, it's a major disappointment that a big name manufacturer like Sennheiser would come in and try to exploit this dying craze. They lost some respect from me after artificially inflating prices a few years ago on their headphones and now they've lost a lot more. 

Dec 26, 2013 at 5:15 PM Post #172 of 247

If the connectors and the wire are of a superior quality to what is currently being used then maybe it's possible there may be a better transmission of electrical current, also a balanced configuration might reduce any possible crosstalk at the common ground with unbalanced cable.
Balanced cables between active components can in some set-ups make a big difference with a reduced noise floor due to electrical interference but has little effect IMHO on headphones or speakers.

The connectors do look nice though.
smile.gif

I'm not convinced that in many (read: most) cases, this is even measurable let alone audible to human ears. Impedance matching might be the most measurable scenario, and again, the audibility of this is *extremely* questionable. But you're right, they are sexy. Just not hundreds of dollars sexy. They build quality seems good but if I want a robust cable, I'd rather put my money into supporting an independent community cable maker. 

Dec 28, 2013 at 10:05 AM Post #174 of 247
I have this cable and I find it excellent. Unfortunately, I can not compare it with other balanced cables so my opinion is not very weightier but I know the difference between the stock unbalanced cable and CH800S and the difference is very noticeable. I use Sennheiser HDVA600 with Benchmark DAC1.

Dec 28, 2013 at 4:25 PM Post #177 of 247
Aftermarket cables can be dirt cheap or ridiculously expensive. Regular wire and noname connectors? Cheap as borscht. Furutech connectors with silver wire, individually sleeved 8 wire braid and engraved splitters? Well you'd be looking at dropping some good coin on that.

Dec 28, 2013 at 10:46 PM Post #178 of 247
Well you and others are abs right ! The aftermarket Zu's and Moon Audio's are indeed costly tweeks. Then the $20 jobs look ominously inferior. I have a pair of ancient HD 420s which I would like to soup up with better SQ cables. Any suggestions? Thanks

Jan 1, 2014 at 12:56 AM Post #179 of 247
I don't get what is so special about these "balanced" cables?  Isn't the term "balanced" audio is just a method and can be achieved with 1/4" TRS plug or XLR?  e.g in-phase hot signal and out of phase cold signal?  

My understanding of a balanced audio signal is this:  a balanced audio signal is fed into an input (typically a transformer/differential), the differential detects the difference in the signal difference between the two different phase signals and rejects any hum or noise.  And typically, balanced cables are used for long runs of microphones because of this?  Someone please explain the difference between a balanced audio signal and a balanced headphone cable?  To me, it would be more critical and makes more sense, if you are connecting the pre-amp to the amp with a balanced cable.  Correct me if I am wrong?  To me, these cables just allows you to plug into an XLR type connector.

Jan 1, 2014 at 2:31 AM Post #180 of 247
I'm an audiophool, a critical listener, and a jazz addict. I have no idea about why we need a balanced or unbalanced (sic) cable from or to headphones. I just know what my ears like to hear. I've always preferred the ease of single ended (RCA) hi fi gear. So I'll get out of the way here.   alejandro

Users who are viewing this thread

Back