Sennheiser RS220 Availability?
Mar 13, 2012 at 12:52 AM Post #331 of 500
Further to what I have said previously, I have not actually charged my RS 220 from the moment I opened the box, and have continuously listened to music and watched movies for about 9 hours straight until now. It does not seem to be running out of battery? I'm quite surprised at the battery life from out of the box, and that it can probably go more than 8 hours if it is fully charged?

Mar 13, 2012 at 10:16 AM Post #332 of 500
Quick update.  repositioning the base seemed to work better, but for now I have to go analog instead of digital as I do not have a cab;le long enough for digital or optical out.

I noticed that i was able to watch the whole Pink Floyd Pulse concert without one micro drop, a definitely plus for me. The distance from me is now about 15 feet but the ceilings in that area have a slope to about only 10 feet instead of the 17 where the base was placed before.

All in all, I feel that now I am getting way better performance from these headphones and am happy as i was really into the sound, but was getting seriously stressed out by the micro drops.

Hope this information helps someone.

Mar 13, 2012 at 11:11 AM Post #333 of 500

Quote:
I see the RS220 being compared in this thread with the LCD-2, HE-500, HD800, JH11 and SE535

I own or have heard most of those. The RS220 is not in the same league as the LCD-2. My HD-600 betters it. However, it is pretty close and depends on the sonic qualities you value. The sound of the RS220 reminds me of a closed headphone. I can hear the sound of the cups. I don't experience this at all with the headphones you listed. However, it is an excellent headphone and I find myself frequently going for it over my others due to very good sound and the pleasure of not being tethered to a headphone amp.

Quote:
It's encouraging to hear the three new reports (Gwarmi, VandyMan and rav3n, if I'm counting right) of RS220 positives without negatives

I have now had dropouts with my RS220. Still no micro dropouts. Happened when I was within a few feet of the base on a full charge. Had a few dropouts and then it was fine for the rest of the evening. I live in an apartment in Brooklyn, so outside interference is a possibility. There is a cell antenna on the roof, three floors above too. The dropouts are not a big issue so far, but I will update here if it gets worse.

Mar 13, 2012 at 11:24 AM Post #334 of 500

Quote:

I own or have heard most of those. The RS220 is not in the same league as the LCD-2. My HD-600 betters it. However, it is pretty close and depends on the sonic qualities you value. The sound of the RS220 reminds me of a closed headphone. I can hear the sound of the cups. I don't experience this at all with the headphones you listed. However, it is an excellent headphone and I find myself frequently going for it over my others due to very good sound and the pleasure of not being tethered to a headphone amp.

I have now had dropouts with my RS220. Still no micro dropouts. Happened when I was within a few feet of the base on a full charge. Had a few dropouts and then it was fine for the rest of the evening. I live in an apartment in Brooklyn, so outside interference is a possibility. There is a cell antenna on the roof, three floors above too. The dropouts are not a big issue so far, but I will update here if it gets worse.

Sorry to hear you're having drops.  I agree about RS220 not being in the same league as LCD2 or HE500 (but IMO it would not need to be, to still be an excellent wireless headphone).   Just to clarify, what I was trying to get at in my earlier comparison was that to me the sound signature is more like LCD2 than HE500 in darkness (and, from memory, generally similar to the HD650 in darkness).

Mar 16, 2012 at 4:00 PM Post #335 of 500
I just want to add that the rs220 doesn't lack in the bass department,either in quantity or quality.

Mar 16, 2012 at 4:20 PM Post #336 of 500
I just want to add that the rs220 doesn't lack in the bass department,either in quantity or quality.

Thanks for the input. I wish Headroom would put the RS220 in their database so we can get some objective measurements. Some people are saying the bass is good, others are saying it's lacking, and that the model is too bright or thin sounding. (Some reviews are now on Amazon to this effect.) I guess disagreement over the basic sound signature was to be expected, just like with any other headphone, but it still gets frustrating.

BTW, Jude - are you planning on doing a full review of the RS220? Last year you said it was worthy of being Head-Fi's top product of 2011, so I find it a little odd that you wouldn't have posted a review of it yet, and perhaps expand on your comments that it sounds like "a well-amped HD600."

Mar 16, 2012 at 4:45 PM Post #337 of 500
I don't find it to sound like an hd600, it reminds me of the sennheiser pc360, as the bass is tighter with more impact. The highs seems a bit crispier.

Mar 16, 2012 at 9:48 PM Post #338 of 500

Quote:
Thanks for the input. I wish Headroom would put the RS220 in their database so we can get some objective measurements. Some people are saying the bass is good, others are saying it's lacking, and that the model is too bright or thin sounding. (Some reviews are now on Amazon to this effect.) I guess disagreement over the basic sound signature was to be expected, just like with any other headphone, but it still gets frustrating.
BTW, Jude - are you planning on doing a full review of the RS220? Last year you said it was worthy of being Head-Fi's top product of 2011, so I find it a little odd that you wouldn't have posted a review of it yet, and perhaps expand on your comments that it sounds like "a well-amped HD600."

Here is a comparison of the 3 models:
graphCompare.php

The blue is the 220.

They also have reviews of all of the models on their site.

Mar 16, 2012 at 10:09 PM Post #339 of 500
Thanks, Lazwarth. I see it can be found by accessing the product page, along with all the other graphs as well, but for some reason it doesn't show up in the Learning Center drop menu.

Also of note, HeadRoom says the RS220 it out of stock worldwide until May 2012. So, maybe there is a hope the next production run might get tweaked. I'm having deja vu, though - it was only two months ago we were all excited for the first models to come out.

Mar 17, 2012 at 12:01 AM Post #340 of 500

Thanks for reminding us of this resource, Lazwarth.  Here's the same graph with the RS 180 also included.  (RS 220 is blue, as in Lazwarth's graph).  If I'm reading this right, it's consistent with my description of RS 180 as substantially brighter than RS 220.  The midrange on RS 220 seems less full than I had thought.  In comparison with HD 650, the RS 220 seems to have less energy in the midrange and lower treble (so generally, fairly "dark", which is what I thought I remembered), but a bit more energy above 10 KHz.    I wonder how accurate/representative of all units these graphs are..

Mar 28, 2012 at 4:58 AM Post #342 of 500
Mar 30, 2012 at 12:14 AM Post #343 of 500
Ye, I'm returning them. I might sell them, not sure.

I just get crazy micro drop outs. Now I understand what you guys are talking about. I get about 30 micro drops during a song. About every ******* 10 seconds.

Can't even be my transmitter distance. It's right beside me. Like it's beside my computer and I'm on the bed.

Hugely disappointed. Used them less than 2 hrs. Just can't stand the drops. I'm so mad to a point where I don't think this product even deserve to be 300.

Wow..

Mar 30, 2012 at 1:39 AM Post #344 of 500

Quote:
Ye, I'm returning them. I might sell them, not sure.

I just get crazy micro drop outs. Now I understand what you guys are talking about. I get about 30 micro drops during a song. About every ******* 10 seconds.

Can't even be my transmitter distance. It's right beside me. Like it's beside my computer and I'm on the bed.

Hugely disappointed. Used them less than 2 hrs. Just can't stand the drops. I'm so mad to a point where I don't think this product even deserve to be 300.

Wow..

Do you by any chance have vaulted/ angled ceilings? Supposedly one of the solutions is to keep them in an area with flat ceilings (don't know if this applies); I would imagine the microdrops would be insanely annoying with any product, place a $600 price tag on it and it becomes a joke...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back