Sennheiser RS220 Availability?
Apr 15, 2015 at 4:50 AM Post #466 of 500
  My pragmatic solution:after setting up a schedule of disabling the 2.4Ghz signal during later evening hours, I have again perfect wireless HiFi during these hours. During the day, 2.4Ghz is automatically enabled to be available for older 2.4Ghz only devices in our home network.

That isn't really feasible for people who really need 2.4ghz wireless on all the time or for people who live in apartment blocks where there are lots of wireless signals floating around. Interesting idea though. Must try it out and see how well it works. For me personally I managed to almost eliminate the problem by using a really small (0.5m) optical cable for the connection that is heavily shielded and changing the channel on the wireless router to 11. Doing only one of those didn't work but doing them together fixed things. Obviously that is also not an idea solution if someone is needs a much larger cable. It's quite annoying sticking the transmitter right next to the computer because of the short cable.

Apr 15, 2015 at 7:53 AM Post #467 of 500
That isn't really feasible for people who really need 2.4ghz wireless on all the time or for people who live in apartment blocks where there are lots of wireless signals floating around.

Well, everyone has his own capabilities and therefore requirements...

For me personally I managed to almost eliminate the problem by using a really small (0.5m) optical cable for the connection that is heavily shielded and changing the channel on the wireless router to 11.

That doesn´t work for me, as my flat is about 115m2 and I wanted to position the transmitter strategically in the center of the flat to get a good signal throughout the flat. Unfortunately that place is also the best place for the WiFi-router.

Anyway, will play again with the router in the evening. Although it has a DD-WRT firmware with a lot of settings options, I cannot change the channel to 11 - there is only the "auto" option possible. Need to dig into this to see if setting to channel 11 is possible and if it would the Sennheiser issue in my particular case.

Or I leave the 2.4Ghz switched off during "music times"... :)

Apr 15, 2015 at 8:42 AM Post #468 of 500
Originally Posted by Al ex /img/forum/go_quote.gif

That doesn´t work for me, as my flat is about 115m2 and I wanted to position the transmitter strategically in the center of the flat to get a good signal throughout the flat. Unfortunately that place is also the best place for the WiFi-router.

Anyway, will play again with the router in the evening. Although it has a DD-WRT firmware with a lot of settings options, I cannot change the channel to 11 - there is only the "auto" option possible. Need to dig into this to see if setting to channel 11 is possible and if it would the Sennheiser issue in my particular case.

Yeh that's fair enough. Different solutions for different people though if you needed to move one away the router is the better one to move to a corner somewhere. The RS220 will dropout at a much closer distance than the router. In that size apartment you should still get reception to all parts if it is in one corner of the apartment, especially with the 2.4ghz band. The 5ghz band might not do so well once you move it away from the centre however.

IIRC the channel 11 trick was first mentioned on here either in this or another RS220 thread. Seems to work for a lot of people and definitely helped me. Its been a while since I've used DD-WRT but I'm pretty sure the channel was changeable on the version I was using. Might be hidden somwehre in advanced settings or something.

Apr 23, 2015 at 4:12 AM Post #469 of 500
I used to have a lot of issues with the wireless signal interruptions on RS-220 and fortunately managed to resolve them over the years.
Initially it helped to replace the included rechargeable NiMH batteries with Sanyo Eneloops.
I have no sound explanation why it improved the drop outs but it reduced them by about one half.
The final solution was to replace the old WiFi access points (Asus, dd-WRT based) with Devolo dLAN 500 AV Wireless +. There are three around the house and no problem whatsoever. I wonder if it has anything to do with their "coexistence" feature. They can all share the same WiFi channel without interference.
Obviously if you are living in an apartment block with oversubscribed wireless spectrum your choices are limited but indeed too aggressive/old/poorly implemented wireless access point are most likely the reason behind these annoying drop outs.

May 17, 2015 at 12:46 PM Post #470 of 500
Well, my RS220 died on me.  I always felt like the build quality was cheap, at least by comparison to cans like the HD650.  And the Senn website basically tells me to bug off.  I have to remember this next time I consider dropping $500+ on another newer Senn product.

May 18, 2015 at 10:28 AM Post #472 of 500
Well, my RS220 died on me.  I always felt like the build quality was cheap, at least by comparison to cans like the HD650.  And the Senn website basically tells me to bug off.  I have to remember this next time I consider dropping $500+ on another newer Senn product.

You should contact Sennheiser on the phone and see if there is anything they can do for you. I've had companies that go out of the way for me to accomodate my needs regarding the product even though technically it didn't qualify under warranty. Explain your concern that a relatively recent product went out to warranty service period so quickly perhaps. Can't guarantee that Senn will do anything but its still worth a try.

May 18, 2015 at 11:42 AM Post #473 of 500
I will call them at some point of course.  I was frustrated over the weekend for this to happen since (i) it's my movie phone too, and (ii) I've been swapping cables and re-purposing an Amperior and a 650 the last few weeks, so I miss that sort of serviceability in the new product(s).

May 24, 2015 at 7:45 PM Post #474 of 500
Just ordered a pair of RS220 for ludicrously cheap from Sennheiser's outlet, very excited to get them!

What is the optimal way of arranging an RS220 setup? I've seen it's got digital and analogue inputs in the basestation. Does an amp sound signature/power output have a significant influence on the audio performance of the headphones, or is that predominantly dictated by the transmitter? This is my first foray into this style of high end wireless cans, so I'm a little clueless about what sort of source components are best suited.

Cheers!

May 25, 2015 at 10:55 PM Post #475 of 500
  Just ordered a pair of RS220 for ludicrously cheap from Sennheiser's outlet, very excited to get them!

What is the optimal way of arranging an RS220 setup? I've seen it's got digital and analogue inputs in the basestation. Does an amp sound signature/power output have a significant influence on the audio performance of the headphones, or is that predominantly dictated by the transmitter? This is my first foray into this style of high end wireless cans, so I'm a little clueless about what sort of source components are best suited.

Cheers!

Amp doesn't make any difference. The transmitter does all the work for you.

Sep 27, 2015 at 5:02 PM Post #476 of 500
hi all,

i was looking for a good opportunity to buy these headphones for a long time, as i had, and still am, loving the rs180.

the only reason i held off for so long (since release) was the very steep price.

last week i finally managed to snatch a pair for a really nice price, and i'm thoroughly enjoying the sound of these.

the plan was to replace the rs180, which i use in office, however, due to all 2.4GHz bands being in use, this won't happen. (i tried them for half an hour and thought the headphones were broken, with the amount of drop-outs i had)

i took them home, let them charge, and have been enjoying them at home without a single drop-out for a few days. (coaxial with my FiiO X5, analogue with my turntable, and optical with my (apple)tv)

something i'm missing with most cans, but not with these, is a very nice balance between bass and treble. great.

i do find the 16 hour charging time for only 8 hours of music a bit strange. the RS180 needs only 6 hours of charging for 24 hours of music. same batteries.
while i understand that there's a lot more happening in the transmissions between the 220 than the 180, i don't get that the charging time must also be tripled.(for instance, the audio on the RS180 is compressed, thus less data must be transmitted per timeframe. this is also the most likely reason why those have little to none dropouts at work)

apart from these headphones, i also tried the RS195, and, although they are marketed as "audiophile grade", they are far from that. even with all the settings and knobs turned to off, the system changes the sound between source, and ears. i was extremely disappointed with that. the RS180, though hardly noticeable to me, messes with loudness levels a bit, and the RS220 doesn't seem to change anything on its own.

for those looking for great wireless headphones, i would recommend these.

and a second pair of triple A eneloop batteries.

P.S. sorry for waking a sleeping thread, but i really wanted to add this. it's hard to get any information on these headphones, that wasn't a direct copy-paste from Sennheisers' marketing department

-CH23

Oct 2, 2015 at 2:08 AM Post #478 of 500
It was the dropouts that caused me not to go for the RS220. Now I'm considering the RS185, which I'd be using as a wireless alternative to my HD598s. Any comparisons?

If you don't mind the headphones actively changing the sound of youe music, then they're OK.

i would suggest the RS180 over the new series if it would bother you.

Oct 2, 2015 at 5:17 PM Post #480 of 500
Change in what way? In his review, Mark2410 said he thought the 185s were less V-shaped than the 180s. I took that to mean they changed the sound less than the 180s.

I had a listening session with the 195, and i heard that the music was being "reshaped", actively equalised, so to speak.

it's hard to explain for me, as i'm still not as good with audio jargon as i'd like to be.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back