Sennheiser RS220 Availability?
Oct 2, 2015 at 5:24 PM Post #481 of 500
I appreciate your input. I know the RS195 is closed-back, with a lot of audio-altering circuitry. I'm not really surprised it sounds like it's reshaping the sound. The 185 is open, and supposedly more for "hi-fi" listening. I don't know if this means it sounds more natural (flatter) or not. I wish Headroom had the new RS series in its graph-building database, but they don't yet.

Nov 20, 2015 at 7:46 PM Post #482 of 500
  hi all,

i was looking for a good opportunity to buy these headphones for a long time, as i had, and still am, loving the rs180.

the only reason i held off for so long (since release) was the very steep price.

last week i finally managed to snatch a pair for a really nice price, and i'm thoroughly enjoying the sound of these.

the plan was to replace the rs180, which i use in office, however, due to all 2.4GHz bands being in use, this won't happen. (i tried them for half an hour and thought the headphones were broken, with the amount of drop-outs i had)

i took them home, let them charge, and have been enjoying them at home without a single drop-out for a few days. (coaxial with my FiiO X5, analogue with my turntable, and optical with my (apple)tv)

something i'm missing with most cans, but not with these, is a very nice balance between bass and treble. great.

i do find the 16 hour charging time for only 8 hours of music a bit strange. the RS180 needs only 6 hours of charging for 24 hours of music. same batteries.
while i understand that there's a lot more happening in the transmissions between the 220 than the 180, i don't get that the charging time must also be tripled.(for instance, the audio on the RS180 is compressed, thus less data must be transmitted per timeframe. this is also the most likely reason why those have little to none dropouts at work)

apart from these headphones, i also tried the RS195, and, although they are marketed as "audiophile grade", they are far from that. even with all the settings and knobs turned to off, the system changes the sound between source, and ears. i was extremely disappointed with that. the RS180, though hardly noticeable to me, messes with loudness levels a bit, and the RS220 doesn't seem to change anything on its own.

for those looking for great wireless headphones, i would recommend these.

and a second pair of triple A eneloop batteries.

P.S. sorry for waking a sleeping thread, but i really wanted to add this. it's hard to get any information on these headphones, that wasn't a direct copy-paste from Sennheisers' marketing department

-CH23

Thanks for this. I was looking a comparison between RS185-RS195 and RS220. I am glad I chose RS220.

Off-topic: I need new power adapter for my base station. The only option is ordering online. But I don't know whether the socket is generic and what size is it. Can you help? The original adapter is ridiculously expensive.

Nov 27, 2015 at 3:40 AM Post #483 of 500
  Thanks for this. I was looking a comparison between RS185-RS195 and RS220. I am glad I chose RS220.

Off-topic: I need new power adapter for my base station. The only option is ordering online. But I don't know whether the socket is generic and what size is it. Can you help? The original adapter is ridiculously expensive.

i would go for the original preferably. it's possible a generic power supply can be used, but will affect the sound in a negative way.

Dec 9, 2015 at 7:57 AM Post #484 of 500
Generic adapter is fine, the voltage must be exactly the same, polarity correct and ampage either the same or higher. There is a switching power supply inside anyway so unless the generic supply produces high ripple and is poorly grounded there is no way to tell the difference.

Aug 4, 2016 at 10:23 AM Post #486 of 500
I wanted to ask a technical question.

What will happen if I use a USB to optical converter to feed the RS220 via fiber cable? The signal is not processed by a DAC so will I hear anything?

Sep 24, 2017 at 7:42 AM Post #487 of 500
oh dear, I'm afraid I've become a necromancer of sorts by posting in this thread about a year after last post, but at the same time i feel like this is the only rs-220 thread that has any meaning, so here goes nothing:

Recently the battery life of my rs-220 has dropped to less than 50 minutes of playback, and i wanted to know if anybody else had the same experience?
Also, even if you bump the headphones off the base for just a moment, it will be 'charging' for a good 16 hours afterwards, so is my unit broken, or is this normal behaviour?

Sep 24, 2017 at 1:54 PM Post #488 of 500
oh dear, I'm afraid I've become a necromancer of sorts by posting in this thread about a year after last post, but at the same time i feel like this is the only rs-220 thread that has any meaning, so here goes nothing:

Recently the battery life of my rs-220 has dropped to less than 50 minutes of playback, and i wanted to know if anybody else had the same experience?
Also, even if you bump the headphones off the base for just a moment, it will be 'charging' for a good 16 hours afterwards, so is my unit broken, or is this normal behaviour?
I've had the same experience. Mine stays charged for even less time and it's always shown it was recharging for a long time even if it was just off the base for a minute. Not sure what to do about the short playback time. I am going to buy some new rechargeable batteries to see if that helps but I am concerned!

Sep 24, 2017 at 2:32 PM Post #489 of 500
I've had the same experience. Mine stays charged for even less time and it's always shown it was recharging for a long time even if it was just off the base for a minute. Not sure what to do about the short playback time. I am going to buy some new rechargeable batteries to see if that helps but I am concerned!
thank you for replying. it's only now that i realise that i never swapped batteries between my rs180, and rs220.
I will do that and see if the rs180 lasts longer, and/or if the rs220 lasts longer this way. if the rs180 lasts more than 12 hours (as it should) i don't think new batteries will help.

Sep 24, 2017 at 4:50 PM Post #490 of 500
thank you for replying. it's only now that i realise that i never swapped batteries between my rs180, and rs220.
I will do that and see if the rs180 lasts longer, and/or if the rs220 lasts longer this way. if the rs180 lasts more than 12 hours (as it should) i don't think new batteries will help.
I'll swap mine with some new ones as well and we'll see the results. Let's keep each other posted. Anyone else?

Sep 25, 2017 at 12:05 AM Post #491 of 500
Yes, that's how it's designed. It doesn't take feedback as when to stop stopping but has a fixed time of 16-17 hours for each charge cycle. You don't need to though.

Sep 25, 2017 at 3:00 AM Post #492 of 500
Yes, that's how it's designed. It doesn't take feedback as when to stop stopping but has a fixed time of 16-17 hours for each charge cycle. You don't need to though.

that's a bit of a silly system. you'd expect there be some sort of circuitry to detect how charged the batteries are.

Sep 25, 2017 at 5:54 PM Post #494 of 500
Agreed. More disturbing is the lack of maintaining the charge. Anyone else have a problem with that?
today i tried using the batteries from my rs180 on the rs220 and that gave me 45 minutes. i'm afraid it's the headphones. I'll use the rs220 batteries and let the rs180 play all night and see if it still works when i wake up (they should)

edit: the rs180 is still playing after 22 hours.

I'll charge the batteries with the rs180, then put them in the rs220 and see if it plays for more than an hour that way.

Last edited:
Sep 27, 2017 at 6:54 PM Post #495 of 500
today i tried using the batteries from my rs180 on the rs220 and that gave me 45 minutes. i'm afraid it's the headphones. I'll use the rs220 batteries and let the rs180 play all night and see if it still works when i wake up (they should)

edit: the rs180 is still playing after 22 hours.

I'll charge the batteries with the rs180, then put them in the rs220 and see if it plays for more than an hour that way.
Okay thanks. I'm away but will try a different set of batteries when I return. Sounds like its the headphones so far from your experiment with the rs180. Bummer.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back