Sennheiser RS160, 170 ,180... Anyone?
Jan 26, 2011 at 7:21 PM Post #151 of 633
So I'm another one who's trying to decide between the 170s and 180s.  I'm going to be using them for late-night movie watching in bed.  My wife's had it with me watching movies into the wee hours while she tries to sleep.  The big question is "will my wife continue to glare at me during movie time if I get the 180s?" 

I'm basically just worried about how much she'll hear from the 180s vs. 170s.  Thanks in advance!

Jan 28, 2011 at 12:46 AM Post #154 of 633
That's not my experience with my RS 180's.
I can be sitting 2m away from someone who's using it & not hear a thing.
And there's nothing wrong with my hearing.

On the other hand bed may be a bit different...
There's usually very little competing sounds, & the slightest constant whimper can make it hard for one settle down.

If it's exclusively for in the bed, then the 170 would be safer.
Especially if the other half is a light sleeper.

Jan 29, 2011 at 6:37 PM Post #155 of 633
Hi all,

New here, found this site through a google search for info on the RS range. What a great site!

Still not 100% sure if I'll go for the 170's or 180's, is the sound quality worth the price difference, which is USD$120 here in New Zealand.
But my main question is more technical. I see they work on the 2.4ghz frequency, which is the same as my wireless router.
I used to have a cordless phone on the same frequency and every time the phone rang, I lost my wireless connection to the internet.
So, I had to replace the phone with a 1.8Ghz one.
It would be a real problem if I wanted to do some late night online gaming when the missus is asleep, as you can see :)

Does anybody know if these headphones will affect my wireless connection? Does anybody have the same frequency router and these headphones?

Thanks in advance!

Jan 29, 2011 at 7:09 PM Post #156 of 633
Yes, I do own RS180s (2 units - bedroom and living room) and also using router with 2.4GHz/5. So far they works fine...no interference of sort and using for like 5 months. The wireless router (DIR655) sits in the living room next to the wireless phone base.
As for selection of headphones, I went for the RS180 because of the sound.... it's probably one of the best wireless you can find today...imo.
My wife does watch late night TV and so far the sound 'leaking' from the headset doesn't bothers me.. but I suggest you try this in the showroom if you can.. at your listening level. Each of us will have different experience and yardstick.

Quote:
Hi all,

New here, found this site through a google search for info on the RS range. What a great site!

Still not 100% sure if I'll go for the 170's or 180's, is the sound quality worth the price difference, which is USD$120 here in New Zealand.
But my main question is more technical. I see they work on the 2.4ghz frequency, which is the same as my wireless router.
I used to have a cordless phone on the same frequency and every time the phone rang, I lost my wireless connection to the internet.
It would be a real problem if I wanted to do some late night online gaming when the missus is asleep, as you can see :)

Does anybody know if these headphones will affect my wireless connection? Does anybody have the same frequency router and these headphones?

Thanks in advance!

Feb 1, 2011 at 1:07 AM Post #158 of 633

Hi Tias,

As odyssey has mentioned, you should not experience any interference when having the RS 170 / RS 180 in your home together with your wireless router / cordless phone. 

Just to be sure, you may want to switch on your wireless router or cordless phone phone first followed by the RS 170 / RS 180. This way, the headphone receivers will seek for any other free channels and not jump into the occupied ones.

Quote:
Hi all,

Thanks in advance!

Sennheiser Stay updated on Sennheiser at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/SennheiserUSA https://twitter.com/SennheiserUSA http://www.instagram.com/sennheiser https://sennheiser.com/
Feb 5, 2011 at 11:10 AM Post #159 of 633

Quote:

Hi Tias,

As odyssey has mentioned, you should not experience any interference when having the RS 170 / RS 180 in your home together with your wireless router / cordless phone. 

Just to be sure, you may want to switch on your wireless router or cordless phone phone first followed by the RS 170 / RS 180. This way, the headphone receivers will seek for any other free channels and not jump into the occupied ones.

Quote:
Hi all,

Thanks in advance!

I love to get the RS170 or the RS 180 but I am concerned about the longevity and the reliability of the transmitter.

Feb 5, 2011 at 3:25 PM Post #160 of 633
No problems here. have used it every day for about a year maybe more looks and works like new maybe a little less batterytime on the headset but those can be bought in the nearest store, so no worries at all.
L3000.gif

Feb 12, 2011 at 11:04 PM Post #161 of 633
Are any of these Sennheiser models compatible with a plasma TV? I just bought a Panasonic TC-P50V25T plasma TV and hooked up a pair of infrared Sony wireless headphones to my Blu-ray player and there is massive interference in the phones which only goes away when the TV is off.

I'm also concerned that they might interfere with my Apple AirPort Extreme wireless router...

Feb 12, 2011 at 11:43 PM Post #162 of 633

Quote:
Are any of these Sennheiser models compatible with a plasma TV? I just bought a Panasonic TC-P50V25T plasma TV and hooked up a pair of infrared Sony wireless headphones to my Blu-ray player and there is massive interference in the phones which only goes away when the TV is off.

I'm also concerned that they might interfere with my Apple AirPort Extreme wireless router...

The type of TV doesn't make a difference. The phones connect to the audio-out jacks on the back of the TV. If the jacks are currently in use buy a pair of "Y" splitter cables at Radio Shack.

Feb 12, 2011 at 11:54 PM Post #163 of 633
If it has a headphone out or rca connectors you should be good. The only interference i have experienced is the microwave but only if you have the headset within ca 30cm range then the sound drops out but comes back when you move away from the microwave again so its not really interference. i havent heard of anyone else having interference with tv`s and stuff. Btw there was someone who had some interference with wifi but i think Sennheiser has fixed that now.

Quote:

Mar 6, 2011 at 10:59 AM Post #165 of 633
Hi, I've recently purchased the RS180s and I have a quick uhh problem(?) question to anyone else who have these.
There seems to be a problem with the attenuator switch. Basically when I set it the attenuator to -8dB from 0dB the volume goes down but I notice that a few seconds later the volume slowly rises up. After about 15secs the volume level is pretty much how it was with the attenuator set on 0dB
confused.gif

I was confused so I set it to 0dB to see if there was any volume difference but there was none.
If I move it back to -8dB you can notice the volume dip but the process just seems to repeat itself with it slowly rising again...

I've tried using different sources but it's just the same result.

Anyone else experiencing this or do i just have a bad transmitter?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back