Sennheiser RS160, 170 ,180... Anyone?
Mar 7, 2011 at 1:22 AM Post #166 of 633

Quote:
Hi, I've recently purchased the RS180s and I have a quick uhh problem(?) question to anyone else who have these.
There seems to be a problem with the attenuator switch. Basically when I set it the attenuator to -8dB from 0dB the volume goes down but I notice that a few seconds later the volume slowly rises up. After about 15secs the volume level is pretty much how it was with the attenuator set on 0dB
confused.gif

I was confused so I set it to 0dB to see if there was any volume difference but there was none.
If I move it back to -8dB you can notice the volume dip but the process just seems to repeat itself with it slowly rising again...

I've tried using different sources but it's just the same result.

Anyone else experiencing this or do i just have a bad transmitter?

From your description, it appears that the ALC function has been turned on. If it is so, the volume will be increased to a pre-defined level, even with or without the 8 dB attenuation.
You may want to switch it off and try again. 

Hope this helps!

Sennheiser Stay updated on Sennheiser at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/SennheiserUSA https://twitter.com/SennheiserUSA http://www.instagram.com/sennheiser https://sennheiser.com/
Mar 7, 2011 at 12:26 PM Post #167 of 633

Quote:
From your description, it appears that the ALC function has been turned on. If it is so, the volume will be increased to a pre-defined level, even with or without the 8 dB attenuation.
You may want to switch it off and try again. 

Hope this helps!

Thx for answering but I forgot to mention that ALC was off along with any other settings that would have created a variable (source volume and player settings etc.)
Sorry for not making it clear the first time
tongue.gif

So far I've left it off for about a day and I'll keep it like that until later in the week just to see if there will be any difference. (Highly unlikely tho >.> )

Mar 19, 2011 at 10:05 AM Post #170 of 633
^^I was trying to find something, but the thread was just too long to read through completely.  Thanks for the info.  I thought that it should work that way, but I just wanted to make sure that the processing unit was able to decipher it all and reproduce it to the headset.  It's my understanding that the receiver unit will not process dolby digital? 

Mar 19, 2011 at 10:47 AM Post #171 of 633

I just received a set of Sennheiser RS 170 wireless headphones from Electronics-Expo.  I used code LSDA 0112 and got them for $162.75 plus $10 shipping at ~ 50% off MSRP.  Ordered on Monday.  Delivered on Friday. Good packaging. Great communication with tracking number emailed to me 2 days after I placed the order; not as fast a Amazon but not bad. Note: I buy a lot of gear and other stuff at Amazon.  I checked Amazon frequently over the course of the past 2 weeks.  Man! The price fluctuations on all RS series at Amazon are volatile with the RS 170 ranging from a low of $219 to high of $299 and modal price of $279. 

Charged the RS 170 over-night and just hooked up to my MX-136 pre/pro with Denon 3800BDCI source.  I'm sitting at my desk listening to Patricia Barber "Cafe Blue" sing Light My Fire.  I am 50 feet away with 2 walls separating me from the transmitter.  No pops, fading, drops, or interference at all.  The sound is excellent from crisp highs to very nice mids and fast bass that goes down plenty far for me.  Sounds detailed, balanced, and good sound stage.  I would have bought the RS 180 for better SQ but they are open and that defeats the purpose for wanting a set of wireless phones - listening without disturbing my wife asleep while I watch a concert or a movie. These are genuine Sennheiser phones with excellent internal packaging.  I am impressed with the Kleer system Sennheiser used.  

Down side:  The ear cups fit around the ears but are a bit small.  Wearing them for over 1 hour becomes uncomfortable because of diminished blood flow to my ears from slight pressure.  The inside dimensions of the foam cups are approximately 1.75" x 2.25" x 0.5".

For comparison, I have:  Shure SE425, Etymotic ER4P, and Monster Turbine earphones.  I have B&W 800 series speakers in 5.1 setup, McIntosh MX-136 pre/pro and McIntosh 402 and 205 amps, and Denon 3800BDCI source in the main theater room and Rotel 1058, Panasonic BD55 source, and B&W 700 series 5.1 in the bedroom system.  I have a pair of Audeze LCD2 phones that should arrive in 1 week.  I must say I am pleased with these Sennheiser RS 170 wireless headphones.

Just checked and Electronics-Expo has the RS 180 for $100.95 off with Coupon code LSDA0112 for a total of $229. You can also try TECHBARGAINS and numerous iterations of the LSDA discount codes for gear from other manufacturers.

I was initially leery of Electronics-Expos because of some bad feedback I read.  I checked out their feedback page and Sennheiser's site to verify Electronics-Expo is an authorized dealer, and decided to give them a try. I'm glad I did because I got a great discount and this transaction was smooth and easy.  I will likely buy the RS 180 for the bedroom system.  If that transaction is also positive, I will have another trusted seller that frequently has the best prices if you first search for and find discount codes.  

BTW, I used Google with search terms: 'Sennheiser RS 170 discount promo voucher codes'.I've done similar searches via Google and I check The Deals Thread at least once a day.  Do your homework and you can buy very good gear at a very good discount.

Mar 19, 2011 at 5:18 PM Post #172 of 633
Electronics-Expo has:

Sennheiser RS160 for $123 with coupon code:  TECHBARGAINS

Sennheiser RS180 for $229 with coupon code: TECHBARGAINS

Sennheiser RS170 currently out of stock but TECHBARGAINS (and possibly LSDA0112) may work when they replenish stock.

Sometimes the following code works:  LSDA0112

Mar 19, 2011 at 6:17 PM Post #173 of 633
If anyone lives around an ultimate electronics store....they have the RS170 for 189 and the 160 for 139.  They are going out of business and currently they are 30 percent off.  Might go to 40 percent....probably won't make it to 50 percent. 

Mar 19, 2011 at 7:26 PM Post #174 of 633

Quote:
If anyone lives around an ultimate electronics store....they have the RS170 for 189 and the 160 for 139.  They are going out of business and currently they are 30 percent off.  Might go to 40 percent....probably won't make it to 50 percent. 

For several years, I have been a faithful customer of EE as well as J &R and Vann's. Despite whatever other(s) has said if any, I have nothing but high regards for their pricing and their level of CSR.

It's unreal to receive an e-mail from a female CSR from Electronic Expo to inform me abt my order right after my cell phone dropped my call.

I know a few local electronic dealers are selling their LCDs/LED with less than 5 points of profit margin. It's the buyer's market due to the bad economy, period.

Mar 25, 2011 at 7:53 AM Post #177 of 633
Hi All,
I would like to buy wireless headphones and after reading lots of posts, I have found this thread the most helpful! Thanks a lot!!
I have decided to go ahead with RS180 but when checked on the Sennheiser's dealers webpage there is NONE in London, UK?!
I did a little research on High Street shops and found one which sells them at £180. The question is: how to make sure these are the original make and not some Chinese low quality copies?
deadhorse.gif

Thanks in advance!
--
ceder

Mar 26, 2011 at 1:14 AM Post #180 of 633
I would also try Amazon.  Not sure if Headroom ships overseas.  I picked up the 170's this afternoon.  I gave them about a 3 minute listen and they are better than I had hoped!!  I put them on to charge after that.  Gotta get a full charge on those batteries.  I'll post more tomorrow. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back