Sennheiser RS160, 170 ,180... Anyone?
May 8, 2015 at 6:58 PM Post #601 of 633
  I have just purchased a pair of RS 170s from Amazon UK and have just tested them briefly, with various forms of music.
In common with some previous contributors I have noticed a faint hum/buzz when the music is really quiet.
In between tracks there is absolute silence, so I believe the rest of the system is OK, but as soon as a really quite track is playing, there is a faint, yet annoying humbuzz from the headphones.
I have tried setting different volume levels on the headphones and on the source, but the problem just varies a little, it never goes away.
These are supposed to be one of the best wireless headphones (I bought them on the strength of mostly good reviews), so I am more than a little disapointed by the annoying background noise.
OK it's not too noticeable once the volume cranks up, but now I know it's there, I will always be listening out for it, thereby spoiling my listening experience, which is why I have paid a premium for a supposed good set of headphones, using Kleer technology, not FM or Bluetooth!

Anyone from Sennheiser got an answer?
Are the new RS 175s any better in this respect?

Yes I noticed this in mine too and I'm surprised that many reviews do not mention this at all. It just goes to show you how POOR many reviews are when stuff like this isn't noticed or highlighted.

I bought these for part time use on a digital piano (no wires!) but the buzz when things are quiet (quiet NOT silent) completely ruins it. It's more audible when volume is up but turning down the volume unfortunately isn't an option in my use case.

Given the lack of buzz when no sound is being played back, I would guess that it is a transmission issue.

edit: I just read your update with the RS175. Good to see a report that says it's fixed. Unfortunately I'm stuck with what I have, which is junk.

May 8, 2015 at 7:00 PM Post #602 of 633

Since you can't hear the coil whine (?) from the right ear piece or the white noise during playback, perhaps your ears are just old?

It's certainly possible my ears are "old", but I hear things perfectly well via my TH900's and Stax SR-007A's.  Perhaps your system is crap???

biggrin.gif

HS

May 8, 2015 at 7:26 PM Post #603 of 633

It's certainly possible my ears are "old", but I hear things perfectly well via my TH900's and Stax SR-007A's.  Perhaps your system is crap???

biggrin.gif

HS

Oddly enough, my wired Sennheiser headphones, on the same crap systems (internal PC, USB DAC, smartphone, digital piano, USB audio interface) don't make any of the squealing or buzzing noises my RS170 do.

May 8, 2015 at 7:45 PM Post #604 of 633

Oddly enough, my wired Sennheiser headphones, on the same crap systems (internal PC, USB DAC, smartphone, digital piano, USB audio interface) don't make any of the squealing or buzzing noises my RS170 do.

I have my RS170's simply plugged into my Aquos TV and they sound fine.  They're wireless...nothing more and nothing less.  Perhaps you're getting interference from all that equipment...don't know.

If you're expecting the same quality sound as your wired Senn's, I think you're setting yourself up for a disappointment.  I certainly don't expect them to sound like my HD700's or HD650's via my Woo WA7 and external DAC pumping 16/44 files.

HS

May 9, 2015 at 3:48 AM Post #605 of 633
I have a question, sorry there are 41 pages I couldn't look through all of it.

I couldn't decide between 160 and 180. I'm gonna use it to listen music for long periods of time. 180 looks better because of the cloth pads. I'm not sure about the 160's leather pads. Problem is 180 is much more expensive where I live, do you think it's worth the price difference? Thanks.

May 9, 2015 at 10:37 AM Post #606 of 633
  I have a question, sorry there are 41 pages I couldn't look through all of it.

I couldn't decide between 160 and 180. I'm gonna use it to listen music for long periods of time. 180 looks better because of the cloth pads. I'm not sure about the 160's leather pads. Problem is 180 is much more expensive where I live, do you think it's worth the price difference? Thanks.

There are bigger differences between the two than just the ear pads. And you can buy the 180 ear pads and put them on the 160 if you wish. The 180 is open back so sound will leak out of the headphones very easily and you will also hear other noises that are in the room. So if you are going to be near other people when listening to music or near a tv that is running for example then don't get the 180. Sound quality wise the price jump is definitely worth it but you should think about the open/closed back issue first.

May 9, 2015 at 8:00 PM Post #607 of 633
Hi There!

So after 3 years of owning my RS170's last night the headset just keep switching off! I can't get it to stay on more than a few seconds. 

I have tried 3 batteries, and an internal reset (Power both devices completely off and remove power source/battery for 15 minutes, doens't make any difference. Anything else I can try? Is this a common issue? Is the diagnoses bad?

The RS170 had 1 Major Flaw which REALLY annoyed me, which was a whining when listening where there was silence. Fixed somewhat by using less volume on the headphones and more volume from the source.

Does anyone know if the RS175 has the same problem? I wouldn't buy anything that had this problem again. 

I have been told for listening to tv/movies, the RS175 is the best choice in the range, would that be fair?

May 9, 2015 at 11:31 PM Post #608 of 633
  Hi There!

So after 3 years of owning my RS170's last night the headset just keep switching off! I can't get it to stay on more than a few seconds. 

I have tried 3 batteries, and an internal reset (Power both devices completely off and remove power source/battery for 15 minutes, doens't make any difference. Anything else I can try? Is this a common issue? Is the diagnoses bad?

The RS170 had 1 Major Flaw which REALLY annoyed me, which was a whining when listening where there was silence. Fixed somewhat by using less volume on the headphones and more volume from the source.

Does anyone know if the RS175 has the same problem? I wouldn't buy anything that had this problem again. 

I have been told for listening to tv/movies, the RS175 is the best choice in the range, would that be fair?

Seems like Sennheiser fixed the hiss sound on all the RS models which have the ability to connect via optical. Both the RS 175 and RS 185 were dead silent. The RS 185 is the superior headphone by far. If it's in your budget get that one, if not then you still can't really go wrong with the RS 175. 

May 10, 2015 at 1:20 AM Post #609 of 633

Seems like Sennheiser fixed the hiss sound on all the RS models which have the ability to connect via optical. Both the RS 175 and RS 185 were dead silent. The RS 185 is the superior headphone by far. If it's in your budget get that one, if not then you still can't really go wrong with the RS 175. 

I use these headphones in bed so I can watch TV next to my wife who is not a night owl. 

There is SOME sound leak (She can hear people talking) on the RS170's and reviews I have read say don't use these in a room with other people because the sound leak is significant). 

Anyone owned both who can compare? Amazon have the 185's for $30 more than the 175, a no brainer except for that I think?

May 10, 2015 at 3:27 AM Post #610 of 633

I use these headphones in bed so I can watch TV next to my wife who is not a night owl. 

There is SOME sound leak (She can hear people talking) on the RS170's and reviews I have read say don't use these in a room with other people because the sound leak is significant). 

Anyone owned both who can compare? Amazon have the 185's for $30 more than the 175, a no brainer except for that I think?

The sound leak in the open ones are pretty significant. Haven't used the 185 but have used both the 220 and 180 which are open back as well. People can hear what I'm listening to in the next room and if the tv is on in the next room the sound from that dominates whatever I'm listening to. So if you want to use it with your wife asleep next to you definitely don't get the 185. She will hear it very clearly.

May 10, 2015 at 10:05 AM Post #611 of 633

I was actually really surprised how much sound leaked out of the RS 175. They are sealed but from some reason they leak a ton of sound. It was slightly less than the RS 185 though. 

May 10, 2015 at 5:35 PM Post #612 of 633

I was actually really surprised how much sound leaked out of the RS 175. They are sealed but from some reason they leak a ton of sound. It was slightly less than the RS 185 though. 

ugh so torn I can get a great deal on the 185 only $30 more than the 175, and if the sound quality is massive and sound leakage only minor compared to the 175, then I'd buy the 185! Hmmmm.....

May 10, 2015 at 5:49 PM Post #613 of 633
  ugh so torn I can get a great deal on the 185 only $30 more than the 175, and if the sound quality is massive and sound leakage only minor compared to the 175, then I'd buy the 185! Hmmmm.....

Yea, tough choice. I'd say go with the RS 175, that will have a bit less sound leakage. Although it's surprising how much sound it leaks for a closed back. $309 is a great price for the RS 185 though, very tempting. I paid over a hundred more for my RS 185. 

May 22, 2015 at 2:29 PM Post #615 of 633
I just received RS 175 and I have to say that I am very satisfied. Couple weeks ago I bought RS 170 and I returned them because of annoying buzzing/hiss noise. I can guarantee that RS 175 doesnt have this issue. 
Also RS 175 sounds much better than RS 170: more cleaner sound, more comfortable, better solid construction and also volume buttons are located in better place far away from power button (not like in RS 170 when u could accidentally turn off your headphones when u tried to change volume).
I use them for music (chillstep, dubstep) and for games too, no delay at all, in CSGO very nice sound positioning. I'm shocked :wink:
It's definetely worth to spend ~100$ more money for RS 175 instead of taking RS 170. This new line seems better.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back