Sennheiser RS160, 170 ,180... Anyone?
Apr 15, 2015 at 12:28 PM Post #572 of 633
  Well, I got both. Going to fully test and pick one. I'm a bit worried about my ears getting hot with the RS 175, otherwise that would have been my choice without testing. 

Good idea. That is always the best way to go about it if you have the money and you able to return easily. How big are the internal dimensions of the ear cups btw? Considering getting one of them but worried the ear cups might be too small looking at them.

Apr 15, 2015 at 3:53 PM Post #573 of 633
So RS 185 is the choice for me. Initially I liked the bass on the RS 175 but after some listening and comparing, I realized I liked the RS185 more. The stereo position was way better in the RS 185 too, nearly felt surround. I could see how some bass heads would prefer the RS 175 though, it's like crazy rumbling, like a movie theatre x3. 

After re-reading your initial thoughts noob2, you were dead on. 

If anyone wants the RS 175. I put them up on the marketplace, I'm throwing in the $50 4 year protection plan on them for free.

Quote:

Good idea. That is always the best way to go about it if you have the money and you able to return easily. How big are the internal dimensions of the ear cups btw? Considering getting one of them but worried the ear cups might be too small looking at them.

Inner ear cups are 1.25" wide by 2.25" high in the RS 185. Seemed big enough to fit over my ears and my friends had no complaints. 

Apr 15, 2015 at 10:42 PM Post #574 of 633

Inner ear cups are 1.25" wide by 2.25" high in the RS 185. Seemed big enough to fit over my ears and my friends had no complaints. 

That is too small for me as I feared. The RS 220 which I have is 1.5" by 2.5" and they just manage to fit me. The RS 185 seems the same size as the old RS 180 which were too small for me.

Apr 20, 2015 at 10:12 AM Post #576 of 633
Hi.

I'm interested in RS 170 but I don't have possibility to test them... My current headphones are Creative Aurvana Live! and I really do enjoy them but now I want only wireless headphones. 
Are RS 170 similliar to CAL ? Also I don't wanna hear any of buzzing noises in background between tracks or when music isn't playing. 
I want to use them for my PC with audio card ASUS Xonar DG via minijack (just for clarification).
So should I buy RS 170 ? I can buy them in my country for about 160$ and its pretty much maximum budget for me unless... it's worth to buy RS 165 ?

Thx for advices :wink:

Apr 22, 2015 at 2:05 PM Post #577 of 633
ok so I bought those RS 170 and I highly do not recommend those headphones. Sound is rly nice according to my CAL, even more bass, but this annoying hiss/hum/buzzing noise in right ear is just terrible... I cant stand this noise when music is not playing or between tracks. 
Also its not a fault of my audio source because when you plugg off audio cable from receiver there is a still this annoying noise...
I'm gonna return those tomorrow :frowning2:

Apr 23, 2015 at 12:18 AM Post #578 of 633
  ok so I bought those RS 170 and I highly do not recommend those headphones. Sound is rly nice according to my CAL, even more bass, but this annoying hiss/hum/buzzing noise in right ear is just terrible... I cant stand this noise when music is not playing or between tracks. 
Also its not a fault of my audio source because when you plugg off audio cable from receiver there is a still this annoying noise...
I'm gonna return those tomorrow :frowning2:

Has been discussed a fair bit in the last few paged but the newer ones don't seem have the hiss problems. If your budget can stretch to the RS 165 or RS 175 your problems will likely be fixed.

Apr 23, 2015 at 8:44 PM Post #580 of 633
  Anyone have opinions of the connection quality of RS220* vs RS185? 

RS220 uses a connection type different then the 170/180's *and* the 175/185's, correct?

I asked that question a few pages back and a link was posted by the Sennheiser rep to a review made by Jude (admin) of both of them. He preferred the RS 220. Can't remember which page it was on though but the post can be found easily enough by searching 'Jude' in this thread's search.

Yes the RS 220 uses a completely different wireless connection (DSS). Supposed to give better sound quality and lossless audio but seems to cause numerous dropout issues.

Apr 24, 2015 at 12:36 PM Post #581 of 633
** EDIT: n00b2 and Coldsnap discussion above stated that additional amp "make no difference as all the processing is done by the internal amp in the transmitter" a few posts back, ty for info.

====
Short version, 2 Questions on the Sennheiser RS-175/185:

Q1: Is it possible to use HDR-185 headset with RS-175 base? Do the 185 features work?
Reason: Purchase RS-175 first, consider upgrade with HDR-185 as accessory 2nd headset.

Q2: DAC/Amp not needed/useful for RS-175/185 with optical input? DAC might be useful if analog input?
Reason: Considering purchasing Schiit stack for wired headphones.

====
Definitions:
• HDR-185, HDR-175 = just the headphones; available as "accessory" add-on or as part of the RS-systems (eg., RS-175 = HDR-175 + TX-175); ~1/2 cost of RS-systems.
• TX-185, TX-175 = just the transmitters, must be purchased as part of the RS-systems (eg., RS-185 = HDR-185 + TX-185)

Q1: Would it be possible to mix the series, purchase an HDR-185 to use with a TX-175?
Q1a: If possible, would the HDR-185 when used with a TX-175 base function with the RS-185 features?

It probably depends how the features and where (on the headset or on the transmitter or both) they are implemented. I know the controls are on the headphones themselves (duplicated on the transmitter unit). Seems to me if the individual headsets can be set individually (balance/surround/bass-boost etc), then it is possible for the features to work independent of the transmitter base unit.

--
Second set of questions. This will demonstrate my newbie-ness. :\

Q2: DAC/Amp not needed for RS-175/185? DAC maybe useful in analog mode?

The RS-175/185 can take optical-in. Does this mean there is an internal DAC on the transmitter? There is a physical switch on the back of the TX-175/185 transmitters to choose between the optical or the analog inputs. Not sure if this may also toggle the possible internal DAC.

I am considering the Schiit Magni2-Modi2 DAC-Amp combo for Xmas (for my current wired headphones). It would seem to me that the Schiit stack would not be helpful when using the RS-175/185. I could see the Modi2 DAC might be useful for the analog input on the TX-175/185. I think the amplification is done on the HDR-175/185 themselves, so the Magni2 amp is not useful at all for wireless headphones. (amp not useful - see EDIT above.)

Pardon me if the above assumptions about DAC/Amp and wireless technology is wrong, please correct me and help me understand. I'm just learning this from reading the forums/FAQs.

====
New member to head-fi.org (first post) :p. Researching wireless headphones but gets greedy after browsing the forums. Would like both good sound and good movie experience; then looks at poor wallet. So I was thinking that perhaps I could finagle an RS-175 for Xmas first, and then later on add an HDR-185 as an accessory if I still feel the need.

Hopefully someone with access to both the RS-175 and the RS-185 could try to cross-pair the units and tell us if this works. (Maybe Coldsnap still have both around to test?)

Or perhaps the gentleman from Sennheiser (Mr. Rosmadi Mahmood ?) can clear this up for us.

I've looked over the Sennheiser PDF manuals for the RS-175/185 but didn't find obvious answers.

Thanks for any info, advice. Cheers.

Apr 26, 2015 at 12:17 AM Post #583 of 633
At the price point of RS 175 and 50 +/- do you think that its the best wireless headphones out there for casual movie viewing, or even audio?
I have been looking forward to getting a wireless HP for a while, i own some good wired headphones though such as the HD800 and the LCD-X, I value audio/video hence asking. I do realize the limitations of a wirless system. I heard the RS 175 at AXPONA today, and was immediately blown away.
Last i researched about a wireless headphone and one particular model from Sony was the top favourite of the forum, since senn has released the rs 175 does the equation tilt or does it still remain the same?

Apr 26, 2015 at 1:18 AM Post #584 of 633
  ** EDIT: n00b2 and Coldsnap discussion above stated that additional amp "make no difference as all the processing is done by the internal amp in the transmitter" a few posts back, ty for info.

====
Short version, 2 Questions on the Sennheiser RS-175/185:

Q1: Is it possible to use HDR-185 headset with RS-175 base? Do the 185 features work?
Reason: Purchase RS-175 first, consider upgrade with HDR-185 as accessory 2nd headset.

Q2: DAC/Amp not needed/useful for RS-175/185 with optical input? DAC might be useful if analog input?
Reason: Considering purchasing Schiit stack for wired headphones.

Welcome @Fornax

1. You might be better sending an email through to Sennheiser for the answer to that question. I have heard that the old models (160, 170, 180) were interchangeable as they all used the same transmission technology but never tried it myself. Going by that the new ones should be as they also use the same transmission technology but the tech support would probably know the answer better.

2. This thread will give you a bit of an idea about the difference between analog and digital connections for these sort of headphones. DAC shouldn't make a difference for the analog connection either as all the processing is done by the transmitter internally but that might be worth emailing about as well.

Apr 26, 2015 at 1:22 AM Post #585 of 633
  At the price point of RS 175 and 50 +/- do you think that its the best wireless headphones out there for casual movie viewing, or even audio?
I have been looking forward to getting a wireless HP for a while, i own some good wired headphones though such as the HD800 and the LCD-X, I value audio/video hence asking. I do realize the limitations of a wirless system. I heard the RS 175 at AXPONA today, and was immediately blown away.
Last i researched about a wireless headphone and one particular model from Sony was the top favourite of the forum, since senn has released the rs 175 does the equation tilt or does it still remain the same?

The RS 185 will be better than the RS 175 for sound quality, though the discontinued RS 220 might be better than both of them. And all of them will be better than the Sony (if you are thinking of the 1RBT MKII) and the Sennheiser Momentum Wireless. Those are bluetooth and these use a different wireless transmission technology. These just aren't as portable as bluetooth headphones as you need to be near the transmitter.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back