Sennheiser Q&A: HDV 820 Digital Amplifier
Apr 27, 2018 at 5:44 PM Post #91 of 173
Apr 27, 2018 at 6:42 PM Post #92 of 173
Hi do you use a regular usb a to b with idefender or is it shield ?
I defender goes into the iMac and the USB cable goes from there to Hugo 2, I sold my HDv 820 for rogue rh-5. When I had HDv 820 I was using 2qute which I also sold.i briefly had the hugo 2 with the 820 and it sounded really good as well.

Last edited:
Jul 6, 2018 at 9:41 AM Post #93 of 173
I'm hoping someone has some solution for the following problem: I have a Mac and I cannot play DSD files natively on the HDV 820, which it is supposed to be able to do.

I think this is because there are no ASIO drivers provided by Sennheiser for Apple users (they do provide them for Windows users on their website). I installed Windows (through Parallels) on my Mac and got the DSD files (64, 128, 256) to play natively using JRiver. But in the Mac OS, in JRiver, I get the error message that playback of DSD 256 files is not possible. JRiver on Mac _can_ play DSD 64 and DSD 128 files on the HDV 820, but that is only because it is converting them via the DoP protocol--it is not sending the native DSD files to the HDV, which is capable of playing DSD natively, and does do so in Windows.

I have been in touch with Sennheiser in Germany and they have given me two different answers. First, they said that they were aware of the missing DSD drivers for Apple users and were going to rectify it soon (February 2018) and today they told me their engineers, upon investigating the matter, say that the files can indeed play on Apple computers without a problem. I've sent them an e-mail as they requested detailing the issue since I cannot get DSD files to play natively from any program in my Mac OS (Audirvana, JRiver), but thought I would explain the issue here in the hopes that someone has a solution. Or perhaps I just need to wait for Sennheiser to produce the missing drivers? Thanks for any help!

Last edited:
Jul 6, 2018 at 9:50 AM Post #94 of 173
I'm hoping someone has some solution for the following problem: I have a Mac and I cannot play DSD files natively on the HDV 820, which it is supposed to be able to do.

I think this is because there are no ASIO drivers provided by Sennheiser for Apple users (they do provide them for Windows users on their website). I installed Windows (through Parallels) on my Mac and got the DSD files (64, 128, 256) to play natively using JRiver. But in the Mac OS, in JRiver, I get the error message that playback of DSD 256 files is not possible. JRiver on Mac _can_ play DSD 64 and DSD 128 files on the HDV 820, but that is only because it is converting them via the DoP protocol--it is not sending the native DSD files to the HDV, which is capable of playing DSD natively, and does do so in Windows.

I have been in touch with Sennheiser in Germany and they have given me two different answers. First, they said that they were aware of the missing DSD drivers for Apple users and were going to rectify it soon (February 2018) and today they told me their engineers, upon investigating the matter, say that the files can indeed play on Apple computers without a problem. I've sent them an e-mail as they requested detailing the issue since I cannot get DSD files to play natively from any program in my Mac OS (Audirvana, JRiver), but thought I would explain the issue here in the hopes that someone has a solution. Or perhaps I just need to wait for Sennheiser to produce the missing drivers? Thanks for any help!

It is my understanding that Mac OS has no native DSD support. You can only play DSD files over DOP. If you want native DSD, you’re going to have to use Windows. Full stop.

I had to deal with this issue while reviewing the Questyle Golden Reference system. My main computer is a MacBook Pro, but I had to use a PC with the Questyle CAS-192D Golden because Macs don’t do Native DSD.

Jul 6, 2018 at 9:56 AM Post #95 of 173
It is my understanding that Mac OS has no native DSD support. You can only play DSD files over DOP. If you want native DSD, you’re going to have to use Windows. Full stop.

I had to deal with this issue while reviewing the Questyle Golden Reference system. My main computer is a MacBook Pro, but I had to use a PC with the Questyle CAS-192D Golden because Macs don’t do Native DSD.

Thanks very much for this quick reply. I suppose my only hope then is for Sennheiser to create the drivers for the HDV 820 themselves as they have for Windows. The JRiver developers said this would be the only way for their program to be able to play DSD natively from a Mac.

Aug 25, 2018 at 3:13 AM Post #96 of 173
Correct, I was not happy with the Sabre dac and decided instead to use 2qute as my dac. I am connecting the HDv 820 to the 2qute via rca. Assuming we see the gain switch as a clock going 8,10,12,2,4 I have found the 12 o'clock position has by far the best sound but as I said it also distorts on my HD 800S. Thus I have been using the 10 o'clock position.

How was the overall sound with the 2qute as the dac. I read a review of the 820 where they said the dac sounded identical to a chord mojo.

Aug 25, 2018 at 3:21 AM Post #97 of 173
@Sennheiser What is the power output in watts at various resistances (8 ohm, 16 ohm, 100 ohm, 600 ohm) of the HDV 820?

Thanks.

Aug 25, 2018 at 9:35 AM Post #98 of 173
How was the overall sound with the 2qute as the dac. I read a review of the 820 where they said the dac sounded identical to a chord mojo.

Hehe not that low sq. It still sounds better then mojo.

@Sennheiser What is the power output in watts at various resistances (8 ohm, 16 ohm, 100 ohm, 600 ohm) of the HDV 820?

Thanks.

Hdv820 has also 40 ohm of output impedance

HDV_820_Power_Curve.jpg
HDV_820_Output_Power_.jpg

Aug 25, 2018 at 10:37 AM Post #99 of 173
Hehe not that low sq. It still sounds better then mojo.

Hdv820 has also 40 ohm of output impedance

They kept saying 12 watts nominal power output on their website. I am surprised to see it is only 2.5 watts at 50 ohms. Other top end SS amps are much more powerful, 430 HA - 8 watts at 50 ohms, Wells milo - 12 watts - 32 ohms, rag - 10 watts @ 50 ohms. Does impact its ability to drive demanding headphones?

EDIT:
At 300 ohms
HDV 820 is 0.96 watts

moon neo 430ha is 1.33 watts
rag 1.7 watts
master9 1.25 watts

Last edited:
Aug 25, 2018 at 10:42 AM Post #100 of 173
I didnt find
They kept saying 12 watts nominal power output on their website. I am surprised to see it is only 2.5 watts at 50 ohms. Other top end SS amps are much more powerful, 430 HA - 8 watts at 50 ohms, Wells milo - 12 watts - 32 ohms, rag - 10 watts @ 50 ohms. Does impact its ability to drive demanding headphones?

Oh really I never saw anything talking about 12watts, it definitely has no trouble runing high end headphones. Hd800s sounds fantastic out of it and where else I hooked the hd800s it always sounded less good compare to hdv820.

Aug 25, 2018 at 10:59 AM Post #101 of 173
Aug 25, 2018 at 11:12 AM Post #102 of 173
K maybe my graphe is bad then? Cause I found it on the net earlier and just saved for references.
I also tryed audeze XC and X and lcd 2, they all worked fine on hdv820 on single ended not balanced.
The sucker had issues was aeon flow open back, it was always low volume. also single ended.
I guess in balanced theses headphones would perform way better.

Aug 25, 2018 at 11:17 AM Post #103 of 173
here is a link dont know if you saw this one yet.

http://www.enjoythemusic.com/magazine/equipment/1117/Sennheiser_HDV820_DAC_Headamp_Review.htm

The reviewer quotes this:

The second thing it has is power, and lots of it. Per Sennheiser's Axel Grell, it puts out a very clean 2.76 Watts of power at 32 Ohms, 2.5 Watts at 50 Ohms and 960mW at 300 Ohms. While 2.5W at 50 Ohms may not sound particularly jaw-dropping to the power-hungry planar crowd, let me assure you, this amp has more than enough current on tap to get the job done. It drove the ever-demanding Abyss AB-1266 (86dB sensitivity) fairly well, and had absolutely no problems driving the slightly-less-demanding ZMF Ori and HIFIMAN HE500.

Hope that helps a bit :)

Aug 25, 2018 at 11:20 AM Post #104 of 173
Aug 25, 2018 at 11:26 AM Post #105 of 173
K maybe my graphe is bad then? Cause I found it on the net earlier and just saved for references.
I also tryed audeze XC and X and lcd 2, they all worked fine on hdv820 on single ended not balanced.
The sucker had issues was aeon flow open back, it was always low volume. also single ended.
I guess in balanced theses headphones would perform way better.

Ya your numbers are accurate. I don't get what the 12 watts with nominal use is. You never used the HD820 in balanced mode?

Im guessing its ok with planars but probably not ideal.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back