Sennheiser PX 360
Feb 24, 2011 at 2:02 PM Post #31 of 51

Quote:
Really looking forward to Audiohead's review - loving my HD448 and looking to upgrade and the PX360 seems to be the obvious choice, but I'll wait for the review :wink:

Looking to put this review up either tonight or tomorrow.  I apologize for the delay, it appears life did a little catching up with me recently :)

Anyways, to help you out I have been A/Bing the HD448 to the PX 360 a bit to help give you some personal insight into your decision.

Initial impressions are causing me to confirm my soft spot for the HD448.  I will do much more listening to give you a more accurate and greater sample sized perspective, but as right now I am not convinced that the PX 360 is a substantial step up from a shear sonic perspective.  Obviously, the PX 360 have some other things to offer than the HD448 do not - collapsible, smaller, lighter (although the 448 is very light as it is), and of WAY better build quality.  The PX 360 are quite durable, and feel solid in the hand without the worry of weight.  Additionally, the PX 360 isolate VERY well for a passive system... I'd say the HD448 are a notch above average at isolation and the PX 360 are quite excellent at it.  The PX 360 are also easier to drive, the 448 benefit from an amp much more so than the specs suggest, and the PX 360 barely showed any differences out of my e7 or e9.  The 448 on the other hand paired a little awkwardly with the e7 and very well with the e9 (still much better than right out of the iPod DAP in both cases).

The PX 360 certainly have their place, do some things outside of sonics quite well.... but I have not decided quite yet if I will be holding onto these or not as I feel the 448 might be too close in comparison to justify the upgrade for me.

That being said, their signatures are VERY different - more on this when the review comes.  Since I will be writing a review for the PX 360 alone (and not focusing on the 448 comparison) you'll have to switch between my reviews and decide if you agree with what I had to say about the 448.

Initially, I am noticing the PX 360 to have that extra punch the 448 is missing, but it gives up some nimbleness in the lows as the cost.  I imagine the bass to be a full, yet cold type low end.  It took some getting used to, but I am finding I am okay with it.  These PX 360 certainly have life in the low end, maybe even a little too much for my tastes.  The PX 360 are a little more treble oriented than the 448 as well, and while this helps bring a lot of life to some tracks, it can cause others to be fatiguing.  IMO the mids in the 448 just crush that of the PX 360.... the 360's mids are certainly there, but much darker to me, and combined with the lively highs almost gives it the U character I don't care for.  The mids of the 448 are just sooo smooth, especially at that price point.

More on this as I A/B some more. I don't mean to bash the PX 360, they have a lot to offer... just might not be my taste (still deciding)

Feb 25, 2011 at 7:46 PM Post #32 of 51
Review posted. (Link in sig)

Hopefully this helps!

You may also consider getting an amp for the HD 448.  It sounds silly given their impedance, but I am really finding leaps and bounds difference unamped v. e7 v. e9

Feb 27, 2011 at 11:17 PM Post #33 of 51
How is the PX360 as far as value goes?  For some reason I've been intrigued by it, but, as I'm looking for new headphones, I think that there might be significantly better options </= $150.  From what I've read it seems like the "extra" price you pay for these is for durability/portability functions.  Also, can anyone comment on fit/comfort with glasses?

Feb 27, 2011 at 11:43 PM Post #34 of 51

Quote:
How is the PX360 as far as value goes?  For some reason I've been intrigued by it, but, as I'm looking for new headphones, I think that there might be significantly better options </= $150.  From what I've read it seems like the "extra" price you pay for these is for durability/portability functions.  Also, can anyone comment on fit/comfort with glasses?

I think you have it right.  I hint at that a bit in my review (link below in sig) which you may have read.

I do not wear glasses myself, but the fit of the cups are pretty firm on the head and I'm guessing this could present some issues with glasses.  I personally think if you do not need the beefier construction, great portability and really solid isolation... and are willing to give up some low end thump, the HD 448 are a better headphone sonically at a lower price.

I think better options do exist at the 150 price point in terms of sound quality, but I'd be surprised if you found a set that isolated as well.  Real thumpy (yet not too muddy) lows as well.  Honestly I was quite impressed with the impact they had to offer without drowning the mids too much.

Mar 14, 2011 at 1:47 PM Post #35 of 51
Hi, i considering between the hd448 and px360. Which of these do u think will be more ideal for on-the-go purposes (eg trains) and has better soundstage?  Is the highs really that strange? (i prefer a bright sound signature) It seems u had sold your px360. Why did u sell it? Thanks. =)

Mar 14, 2011 at 5:33 PM Post #36 of 51

Quote:
Hi, i considering between the hd448 and px360. Which of these do u think will be more ideal for on-the-go purposes (eg trains) and has better soundstage?  Is the highs really that strange? (i prefer a bright sound signature) It seems u had sold your px360. Why did u sell it? Thanks. =)

I thought the highs were strange... with a very specific emphasis on a certain high mid note.  More on this in my review (if you've read it - check sig).

I personally prefer the HD 448 over the PX 360...but I will say the PX 360 are brighter for sure, have more low end impact, have slightly recessed mids and a better build quality.

The PX 360 are built surprisingly tough...

They also have a very secure fit.... which I found to be too firm.  I suppose it is a matter of preference, whether you want your cans to sit on your head or clamp.

Isolation is GREAT on the PX360.

Jul 6, 2011 at 10:41 PM Post #37 of 51
Hi Medhaan,

I love the PX200-II so much so that I'm curious about the bigger brother PX360.
So the PX200-II is really better in your opinion? I tried the HD25, I find they are similar to the PX200-II just stronger sound.

I don't think I want to put so much extra cash for the HD25.

Quote:
I bought them, and I'm pretty satisfied with how they wear and the isolation is oke to.
I'm a little disappointed about the sound quality, because I expected the same grade as my old px200's.
They sound oke, but the px200's have far better mid and lows.

Jan 15, 2012 at 6:49 AM Post #39 of 51
I recently got the HD 428 cans and after break in I am very happy at the lightweight and neutral cans.
Good bass thru my 8220 Blackberry, the 32 ohm impedance allows me to listen for 3 hrs on half battery!

Jan 15, 2012 at 3:16 PM Post #40 of 51

Quote:
So which ones are better: HD 448 or PX 360? I'm considering both for portable use with my iPhone.

Their signatures are vastly different.

Very briefly, the PX360 has a bass tilt, less forward mids and a somewhat bright treble presence
The HD448 has less aggressive low end, is warmer, darker, and the centerpiece of the sound seems to be focused on the midrange

This of course is to my ears, YMMV.

Feel free to read both my reviews (link in signature)

Feb 8, 2012 at 12:28 PM Post #41 of 51
i KNEW there's be a catch when sennheiser recommended these and the [size=x-small]HD 428-S i've yet to look up for portable use... they have abominable swivel cups! ARRRRRRRRRRRRRGH! as an amputee, i despise swivel cups and even before that, i never liked grado one bit for that very reason but after trying HD 25 SP IIs and nearly poking my eyes out trying to get them on[/size] want absolutely nothing to do with swivel cups EVER! it's about impossible to find high efficiency, high quality over the ear phones with short cords and that don't roll the bass off. i wish i bookmarked the review i read of some "off brand" $120 cans that had full bass as well as decent sound throughout and that had a cord swappable to a 4 footer. i can't find them now and EVERY other set i look into has some drawback that makes them a non-option, particularly when it comes to bass as virtually everything under $150 that has actual bass sucks in the midrange through treble.

just when i was starting to get interested in the 360s i had to see those annoying swivels. and my search for COMFORTABLE over the ear sealed cans that have full bass and cords that won't be falling out of my pocket continues.

*sigh*

maybe the [size=x-small]HD 428-S will suit my needs better, but after owning HD 202s, i found i don't like sennheiser head vise cans much even when they do have some thump going on[/size]

Feb 9, 2012 at 5:12 AM Post #42 of 51
Do they need to be easy to drive?

http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_26706_MB-Quart-QP-805-High-Solid-QP805HS.html

Kind of a b*tch to power, but they are bassy!  I put them up against a buddy's DT770 and we both agreed the bass on the 805 carried more impact (and wasn't all that sloppy either). 

No swivel here, just solid steel (literally).  I wish the 100 ohm version was still around

Apr 23, 2012 at 11:10 PM Post #43 of 51
Hi,

So I'm about to purchase the PX 360 cans. And the reason is based on the review, it seems to be my preference as far as sound signature is concern. Also, I find it ideal that it has a 'mid-size' circumaural cups since I'm not really a big fan of super big size headphones and that I intend to use it on portable devices on some days. Hopefully, it can fit in my ears just fine and serve its purpose as an 'over the ear' headphone.  And I also like the looks of it, I feel like it looks different than most headphones and that the 'all black' look is somewhat luxurious

But will you say that the PX 360 is worth it for its price assuming that I prefer its lively highs and good lows? If there's a couple other headphones in this same price range that's better and that you can suggest, then what would be it?

Lastly, the only thing worrying me about these cans is that they have a non-detachable thin cable. In Amazon, 50% of the reviews are basically complains about how thin the cable is and that its the major disadvantage of this headphones. Also I already own the PX 210 BT so I'm not sure it makes sense to own another 'PX' model but that's more of a minor thingy. :wink:

Any 2 cents will be more than welcome.

Apr 24, 2012 at 2:24 AM Post #44 of 51

Quote:
Hi,

So I'm about to purchase the PX 360 cans. And the reason is based on the review, it seems to be my preference as far as sound signature is concern. Also, I find it ideal that it has a 'mid-size' circumaural cups since I'm not really a big fan of super big size headphones and that I intend to use it on portable devices on some days. Hopefully, it can fit in my ears just fine and serve its purpose as an 'over the ear' headphone.  And I also like the looks of it, I feel like it looks different than most headphones and that the 'all black' look is somewhat luxurious

But will you say that the PX 360 is worth it for its price assuming that I prefer its lively highs and good lows? If there's a couple other headphones in this same price range that's better and that you can suggest, then what would be it?

Lastly, the only thing worrying me about these cans is that they have a non-detachable thin cable. In Amazon, 50% of the reviews are basically complains about how thin the cable is and that its the major disadvantage of this headphones. Also I already own the PX 210 BT so I'm not sure it makes sense to own another 'PX' model but that's more of a minor thingy. :wink:

Any 2 cents will be more than welcome.

If the cable is your main concern I wouldn't be too worried honestly.  The insertion at the cup is well built and the L-termination is pretty low profile, so I doubt that will break.  Just take a little bit of care and you should be fine.  The rest of the headphone is built really well.

The two characteristics that stand out about this 'phone from memory is the very good passive isolation and the thick bass.

Hope that helps

Apr 24, 2012 at 10:20 PM Post #45 of 51
Noted. :)

As far as bass, I'm far from being a basshead but I don't mind some good bass extension so it should be fine. However, will you say the bass is somewhere between muddy and bloated? Is it like on the same level as say the ATH m-50 or the Sony MDR's? I was thinking that the bass of the PX 360 should complement its sparky accentuated treble just fine.

Again thanks man!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back