Sennheiser PX 360
Nov 15, 2010 at 3:57 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 51

zGoRL8RoLCl

New Head-Fier
I'm going to buy my first pair of high quality headphones and hope for them to last for as long as possible since budget is tight.

This is the the main one I'm considering to buy and would appreciate any feedback on its quality and value.

Sennheiser PX 360

after that, other contenders are: PXC 350, PXC 450
but I'm not sure I would like to have active noise cancellation, so I'm looking for other alternatives.

I'm new to headphones so if you can think of a better choice in the same (100 - 150 Euro) range please tell me.

features that I need:
noise attenuation/cancellation
best possible audio quality (for this price)
comfort

things that I avoid:
Wireless
Bluetooth
IEM
active noise cancellation

[EDIT additional info]
usage:
this headphones will be my only means of listening to anything mostly at home, some times at work with obnoxious colleagues, and maybe on train. I have no other equipment except the headphones that come with iPod. and my player is a generic laptop sound card. (in the feature I might buy an external higher quality one.)

music genre:
I just need a faithful reproduction of the original material. I listen to various genres of music that are characteristically very different, so genre is not a parameter for me. (jazz, avant rock, psychedelic rock, black metal, classical, rap, trip hop, electronic, rave, idm, dark ambient)

thanks in advance

Nov 15, 2010 at 5:07 AM Post #3 of 51
It would also be helpful to list what music you enjoy listening to, and what else (e.g.: movies, gaming) you want to use the headphones for.

Also, where will you be using these headphones? Only/mostly at home, on the go, the library?

Nov 15, 2010 at 5:18 AM Post #4 of 51
I have Sennheiser HD595 driven by a tube amplifier (awaiting new tubes though, as one has lost vacuum annoyingly!). Very good value, but around £100/$150.
so i recommend you this one.

Nov 15, 2010 at 5:54 AM Post #5 of 51
As I've had my HD25-1's since 1997 i have to say that they are brilliant headphones. It does NC without the technology, however as for comfort they're like having your head crushed between two velvet cushions. They're not 'uncomfortable' it's just the clamping effect is harder than most headphones. however i have to say that the HD25-1 are my all time favourite headphones. Brilliant piece of kit.

Nov 22, 2010 at 4:40 AM Post #7 of 51

so looks like PX 360 is not very popular here...

HD 25-1 II dips a little above my price range but still manageable if it is really the superior headphone to PX 360.

here is the Technical Data of both for final comparison. I'd appreciate any input.

PX 360

Transducer principle Dynamic, closed
Ear coupling Circumaural
Frequency response 15 - 22000 Hz
Impedance 32 Ω
THD, total harmonic distortion <0.1% (1kHz)
Sound pressure level (SPL) 110 dB (1 kHz / 1 Vrms)
Cable length 1.4 m
Weight 163 g

HD 25-1 II

Ear coupling supraaural
Transducer principle dynamic, closed
Nominal impedance 70 Ω
Frequency response (headphones) 16 - 22000 Hz
Max. Sound pressure level (aktiv) 120 dB SPL
Load rating 200 mW
THD, total harmonic distortion < 0,3 %
Contact pressure ca. 2.5 N
Jack plug 3,5/6,3 mm stereo
Cable length 1,5 m
Weight w/o cable ca. 140 g

Nov 22, 2010 at 11:29 AM Post #8 of 51
Spec often (always?) don't tell anything of a headphone sound characteristic, you have to listen to them yourself or wait for somebody who have auditioned both.

Actually I am really interested with PX360, digging the classy design. Unfortunately they haven't yet sell it here... :frowning2:

Jan 6, 2011 at 8:44 PM Post #10 of 51
i second the HD25-1 II movement =).  Personally I have the Sennheiser HD 380 Pro and i Love them!  

Jan 20, 2011 at 8:54 PM Post #11 of 51
I am very curious about the new (yes) PX 360 cans by Senn.

I have been thinking about upgrading my (still adored) HD 448s for portable use... I had my eyes on some high end ultrasones but I just won't be doing as much listening with the portable set up to justify the $

I want to help myself, and the OP, out by asking more about these headphones.  Does anyone know anything about these PX 360s? (wired version).

It looks they are lighter than the 448s, which is unbelievable considering the featherweights...

Jan 20, 2011 at 11:33 PM Post #13 of 51
waiting for your impression then 
beerchug.gif

Quote:
Bummer, it looks like I might have to buy these to find out...

Jan 21, 2011 at 1:56 AM Post #14 of 51

Quote:
beerchug.gif

Quote:

Yea, I haven't decided to pull the trigger yet.  I have been looking to upgrade my portable setup for a little bit, and these look like a Senn HD 448 +.  I have been thinking ultrasone, but I might get these and test them out and send them back if I decide it isn't all that much of an upgrade.

I have a trip planned which will entail 12 + hours of overall time on a plane coming up this tuesday, so it would have been a perfect opportunity to overnight them, break them in for a day, and spend some time with them on the plane.

I tried to overnight them via Amazon Prime, but amazon said it could be 1 -2 months to ship and Razordog deals said 3 - 5 business days at best.

Looks like I will have to wait a few weeks and keep checking my options.  I'm interested in a set of ultrasone PRO750s as well

Jan 21, 2011 at 10:02 PM Post #15 of 51

Quote:
Quote:
beerchug.gif

Quote:

Yea, I haven't decided to pull the trigger yet.  I have been looking to upgrade my portable setup for a little bit, and these look like a Senn HD 448 +.  I have been thinking ultrasone, but I might get these and test them out and send them back if I decide it isn't all that much of an upgrade.

I have a trip planned which will entail 12 + hours of overall time on a plane coming up this tuesday, so it would have been a perfect opportunity to overnight them, break them in for a day, and spend some time with them on the plane.

I tried to overnight them via Amazon Prime, but amazon said it could be 1 -2 months to ship and Razordog deals said 3 - 5 business days at best.

Looks like I will have to wait a few weeks and keep checking my options.  I'm interested in a set of ultrasone PRO750s as well

I have been using these for a few days and be assured that it is NOTHING LIKE any of the HD series cans.

Rather, it sounds like a much more sophisticated sounding PX200, which is a good thing as I think the PX drivers far exceed the low-mid end HD drivers, except for bass quantity.

It is soooo in line with the PX sound signature that you may view it as (if you have heard the PX200ii) a PX200ii with a seriously broad soundstage and quite a bit more revealing, such that you shall hear intrinsic nuances of your music more readily. But it is a MAJOR/classic example of "crap in, crap out" - throw at it any dated/poorly recorded/poorly mastered/low bit-rate stuff and it will make sure you suffer.

I'm very happy with its performance with classical music - I've long been looking for a real portable can that can do classical. The closest I've found before the PX360 was the HD25 and the Denon A100, but both are more clumsy when using outside and less portable since they can't be folded up. General pop sounds crisp and detailed with a pacy bassline, but those after heavier or thicker bass should look elsewhere.

IMPORTANT: the PX360s are pretty power-hungry - to get some decent volume I have to turn up the volumn of my IPC to 7-8 for pop and even 9 for classical when out on the street. They are quite easy to match with amps though - they sounds great with the iQube I, SR71A and my current main amp, the ALO Rx mk I.

I have a gut feeling that the PX360 drivers are indeed very similar to, if not the same as, the PX100/200 drivers, but that's fine with me. Spacial tuning, enclosure design and driver placement (THAT's important - pick up a PX360 and you'll notice the drivers are slightly displaced, like many higher-end home cans) can do wonders - I dun mind if Senn dig up some old HD414 drivers and fit it in some good plastic shell and make it sound fantastic and sell them for $300.

All in all, a very well implemented idea, and at its price it's fantastic value - Beyer should really go back to the design table and think hard about what went wrong with their T50P and why a simple 10-year old driver design (I think) in a plasticky shell can beat its trademark Tesla drivers in its lushy metal coat (and consider costs as well). I think the PX360 can be the new portable flagship for those who prefers details and balance rather than bass and liveliness.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back