Sennheiser PX 100-II bass issues?
Jun 27, 2012 at 2:05 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 22

waynes world

Headphoneus Supremus
Hello,

I brought this up in another thread (and JK1 provided me with a lot of helpful info), but I thought I would start a new thread for it with a related title in order to get more impressions from PX100II owners.

Background: I am new to "not complete crap" headphones. I am trying out the Koss KSC75 and the PORTAPRO drivers to be played on my Samsung Galaxy S2 using Poweramp (sounds awesome btw). I will be keeping one set of the drivers, and putting them on a price-express cheapo headband (I think I will like it better than the ksc75 earclips, or the portapro headband).

BUT I may very well get another headphone set down the road because I am getting addicted (no thanks to this site!). I am interested in the Yuin G2A's (most likely on the cheapo headband), and the Sennheiser PX100II.

Considering that I am enjoying both the KSC75 and the PORTAPRO's (and having a hard time deciding which ones to keep!), this might indicate that I like "warmer" sounding headphones. Therefore I might be leaning towards the PX100II over the G2A. I think that I might also prefer a larger soundstage.

Generally, the reviews for the PX100II are VERY positive, and I am tempted to get the PX100II based solely on them.

But below are some not so positive snippets from the amazon.com reviews. Possibly the people who were complaining about the bass didn't properly break them in. At any rate, if there are any owners out there who can provide me with their impressions, that would be great.  If the PX100II is not substantially better than the Koss drivers, then maybe it wouldn't be worth it for me to get the PX100II.

Thanks!

http://www.amazon.com/Sennheiser-100-II-Ear-Miniheadphone-Black/product-reviews/B002VPDOH8/ref=cm_cr_pr_top_link_1?ie=UTF8&showViewpoints=0
ir

"sonically, I find them worse compared to the original--they sound slow, congested and have an accentuated upper-bass. I found the original PX100 to be the most detailed and balanced portable headphones available. With the PX100-II the detail is still there, however, it's no longer as natural sounding or as exciting. The sound slow and have an overly thick texture. The tonal character is a little overly warm as well, no surprise given the boosted upper-bass."

"Now, due to the thicker headband the phones are less comfortable to lay around your neck when not in use and are now even more uncomfortable to try and slip underneath a hat or a beanie."

"I always found the PortaPros to be slightly more present and detailed than the original PX-100s at any rate... so you can still go that route. I wasn't impressed with my PX-100's, relatively speaking - I was looking forward to trying these PX-100-II's since they won a comparison in a review with the Porta-Pros, but your review is giving me hesitation."

"It could be that I just need to break them in, but they seem heavier on my ears (I think the ear foam is more substantial) and more rigid. I'm not sure I like the feel as well as my old Sennheisers. It may just be a matter of getting used to them."

"Second, they've done something to make the headphones much less comfortable if you wear them for an extended period of time. I don't know if it's the weight in general or a change in the padding, but you can wear these for about an hour before you'll want to pull them off. I never had any problem at all as far as comfort with the previous model."

"Bass: This is where I find total fault with the headphone. It is a bass heavy little headphone. Not punchy overwhelming bass but rather kind of dirty bass that seeps in and colors the midrange on some songs and on other songs is just too slow to add any sort of dynamic drive to the music. It will seem to lag behind and sound out of place. It will also color the vocals of male voices making them not believable. I love a lot of mid-bass output BUT the output on these headphones is too upfront and just lacks clarity. It serves to detract from music rather than add to it.
Of note: the bass spectrum extends very low and is good at reproducing the deepest sounds (but this does not impress me all that much because of it's drawbacks.)
Break-in helped a lot with the bass so don't toss these headphones as soon as you plug them in and listen. Give them some time and you will come to a place where it will be tolerable for about 95% of your music. For the most part, it stays out of the way."

"I have the first generation PX100's and I decide to buy and try these. The new second gen PX100 are not nearly as good as the first gen! The highs and mids are recessed. These have more bass, but the bass is over bearing and not as tight as the first gen. PX100. I am really disappointed. I love my first gen. PX100's."

"A decent headphone, but I'd pay twice as much to have the old PX100. The sound signature is inferior - more treble, less mid-bass and less punch. Just a disappointing buy."

"The original PX-100s were great, lightweight, and a great natural sound. For the replacement, they decided to boost the so now instead of a flat natural sound, all you here is boom boom boom, which is tiring, and even hearts your ears if you listen to loud rock music. Most people compare these to the Koss Portapro headphones. Before I would say get the PX-100s because the construction is better and the sound quality is about the same, but now there is no comparison, get the Portapros, these sound lousy."

Jun 27, 2012 at 3:21 PM Post #3 of 22
First, here's this: http://www.headfonia.com/sennheiser-px100-ii-vs-px100/

Second, if you haven't yet, read my review: http://www.head-fi.org/t/593796/px100-ii-review-the-sennheiser-hd625

Quote:
ir
"sonically, I find them worse compared to the original--they sound slow, congested and have an accentuated upper-bass. I found the original PX100 to be the most detailed and balanced portable headphones available. With the PX100-II the detail is still there, however, it's no longer as natural sounding or as exciting. The sound slow and have an overly thick texture. The tonal character is a little overly warm as well, no surprise given the boosted upper-bass."

Too much mentioning on this whole "boosted upper bass" thing. Directly comparing to the HD600 and Q701, I found bass very similar between the three. Bass amount can be easily adjusted via EQ or by stretching/tightening headband.

Quote:
"Second, they've done something to make the headphones much less comfortable if you wear them for an extended period of time. I don't know if it's the weight in general or a change in the padding, but you can wear these for about an hour before you'll want to pull them off. I never had any problem at all as far as comfort with the previous model."

In my opinion, the PX100-II are the most comfortable headphones I've ever owned (check my profile). They are the only headphone I can wear for more than a few hours without ever having the need to adjust them due to irritation or discomfort.

Quote:
"Bass: This is where I find total fault with the headphone. It is a bass heavy little headphone. Not punchy overwhelming bass but rather kind of dirty bass that seeps in and colors the midrange on some songs and on other songs is just too slow to add any sort of dynamic drive to the music. It will seem to lag behind and sound out of place. It will also color the vocals of male voices making them not believable. I love a lot of mid-bass output BUT the output on these headphones is too upfront and just lacks clarity. It serves to detract from music rather than add to it.
Of note: the bass spectrum extends very low and is good at reproducing the deepest sounds (but this does not impress me all that much because of it's drawbacks.)
Break-in helped a lot with the bass so don't toss these headphones as soon as you plug them in and listen. Give them some time and you will come to a place where it will be tolerable for about 95% of your music. For the most part, it stays out of the way."

Again, these headphones aren't really bass heavy at all. They need a bit of a boost to compensate for lack of seal and very open design, but it never, ever gets in the way for me. If anything, they are on the bass light side, and I'm NOT a basshead.

Quote:
"I have the first generation PX100's and I decide to buy and try these. The new second gen PX100 are not nearly as good as the first gen! The highs and mids are recessed. These have more bass, but the bass is over bearing and not as tight as the first gen. PX100. I am really disappointed. I love my first gen. PX100's."

Midrange is NOT recessed the slightest. On par with the HD600 and Q701, minus a tad bit of clarity. Upper midrange and treble are very unfatiguing due to their smoothness and slight recession. Fine by me stock, but a bit of EQ can work wonders.

Quote:
"The original PX-100s were great, lightweight, and a great natural sound. For the replacement, they decided to boost the so now instead of a flat natural sound, all you here is boom boom boom, which is tiring, and even hearts your ears if you listen to loud rock music. Most people compare these to the Koss Portapro headphones. Before I would say get the PX-100s because the construction is better and the sound quality is about the same, but now there is no comparison, get the Portapros, these sound lousy."

Ha, the PortaPros are MUCH bassier than the PX100-II. I've got them both, and have compared them extensively. PortaPro's mids and treble aren't as prominent, and it sounds muffled in comparison. I find comfort can be a toss up, but I prefer the PX100-II.

Jun 27, 2012 at 5:46 PM Post #4 of 22
Quote:

Ha! Yes I had read your review last night, and it got me quite excited about them (well written review also). I almost clicked on the "buy" button right then and there, but alas, they were out of stock, so I calmed down and did some more reading. Anyway, I really appreciate you commenting here.

Quote:
Too much mentioning on this whole "boosted upper bass" thing. Directly comparing to the HD600 and Q701, I found bass very similar between the three. Bass amount can be easily adjusted via EQ or by stretching/tightening headband

Good to hear. And now that I am using Poweramp, I really appreciate the power of the EQ. I have different presets now for the KSC75 and the PORTAPRO, so I'm sure that it could be tweaked quite well for the PX100II.

Quote:
In my opinion, the PX100-II are the most comfortable headphones I've ever owned (check my profile). They are the only headphone I can wear for more than a few hours without ever having the need to adjust them due to irritation or discomfort.

Great to hear. I find the portapro headphones to be comfortable, but somewhat tight on the ears, and also kind of restricting when hanging around the neck (probably because they contract). So your endorsement of the PX100II's comfort is a good thing.

Quote:
Again, these headphones aren't really bass heavy at all. They need a bit of a boost to compensate for lack of seal and very open design, but it never, ever gets in the way for me. If anything, they are on the bass light side, and I'm NOT a basshead.

Cool. Like you said, a bit of EQ tweaking should get it to where I want it.

Quote:
Midrange is NOT recessed the slightest. On par with the HD600 and Q701, minus a tad bit of clarity. Upper midrange and treble are very unfatiguing due to their smoothness and slight recession. Fine by me stock, but a bit of EQ can work wonders.

Excellent! I am very happy to read this.

Quote:
Ha, the PortaPros are MUCH bassier than the PX100-II. I've got them both, and have compared them extensively. PortaPro's mids and treble aren't as prominent, and it sounds muffled in comparison. I find comfort can be a toss up, but I prefer the PX100-II.

Ok, that's pretty much what I need to hear.

Thanks again for your input!

Jun 27, 2012 at 6:52 PM Post #5 of 22
My pleasure. If you do end up getting them I'd love to hear what you think!

Generally speaking, regarding EQ, I've mostly left it flat. If I do tweak it, I usually only give a few decibels to the upper midrange. But that's just my personal taste.

PortaPros definitely feel tighter than theses do. Not a fan of getting my hair pulled out either!
biggrin.gif

Jun 27, 2012 at 8:34 PM Post #6 of 22
Quote:
My pleasure. If you do end up getting them I'd love to hear what you think!

Generally speaking, regarding EQ, I've mostly left it flat. If I do tweak it, I usually only give a few decibels to the upper midrange. But that's just my personal taste.

PortaPros definitely feel tighter than theses do. Not a fan of getting my hair pulled out either!
biggrin.gif

I've been lucky with the hair so far LOL!

I digress here, but I have been listening to my KSC75's (on portapro headband) and tweaking the equalizer in Poweramp (on my Samsung GalaxyS2). I discovered another setting in Poweramp called "Stereo x" which does a really good job of enhancing the width of the sound. Essentially, the sound coming out of the KSC75/SGSII/Poweramp combo is awesome, and I would love to hear what the PX100II's sound like when thrown into the mix!
atsmile.gif

Jun 28, 2012 at 2:35 AM Post #7 of 22
Fwiw, I pretty much have to keep the KSC75 (and cheapo headband) because I need something now (I'm not disappointed though, as they sound great).

If I had more time, then possibly I would have gotten the PX100II's instead of the KSC75's. But it is what it is: I have the KSC75's and I'm interested in a 2nd pair of headphones for no good reason except that I'm getting addicted to this headphone game :)

So, I am close to pulling the trigger on the PX100II for $55CN delivered. However, I just read this:

[size=medium]http://www.jr.com/sennheiser/pe/SEN_PX100IIBK/#productTabReviews[/size]
"Output level/sensitivity is significantly higher on the PortaPro, distortion is much lower, and treble level and detail is notably better on the PortaProas well as bass tightness and accuracy. This is surprising since bass accuracy and treble extension are not the PortaPro's strongest areas.At[$], the PX100-IIs are a very poor value. You can get Grado SR-60s for that price. If you want lightweight and portable, you can almost buy two pairs of PortaPros for the price of one PX100-II, and you'd have a headphone that significantly outperforms the PX100-II in every area"

I really should just stop reading reviews! And possibly that guy was on drugs. Regardless, that kind of got me clued into the Grado SR60. I see that I could get them for $79CN delivered, and from what I have read so far, they sound like rather amazing headphones for the price:
http://www.head-fi.org/t/614729/compact-portable-headphone-roundup

So now I am waffling a bit about getting a somewhat similar headphone to my KSC75's in the PX100II. I mean, do I really need two somewhat similar pairs? Maybe I should instead buck up for a step up in SQ with the Grado SR60 for an extra $24?

The 7.5' cord is a bit of a downer though, as in my mind that would kind of ruin it for portability. Then again, I'd have my KSC75 for portability, so maybe the SR60 would be a wise maneuver for increased sonic bliss at home.

Hmmm! This headphone thing gets complicated AND addictive LOL! Anyway, thanks for allowing me to ramble, and if anyone has any impressions, I'm all ears :)

Edit: Katun (sorry I spelled your name wrong initially!), I just checked out your Headphone Inventory. All I can say is "wow". Adds even more weight to your PX100II recommendation!

Jun 28, 2012 at 9:10 AM Post #8 of 22
I had the Grado SR60 and hated it. It leaked so much sound. It sounded unnatural, and the treble was very aggressive and hurt my ears. It was also bass deficient. I hated the SR60 so much that I gave it away. I also bought the SR80 which is better, but still not great. Perhaps the more expensive Grados are much better, however I suggest that people avoid the SR80 and especially the SR60. I had the original versions, and the new ones are said to be improved, however the reviews I read don't claim that much of a difference.

Jun 28, 2012 at 11:29 AM Post #9 of 22
Quote:
I had the Grado SR60 and hated it. It leaked so much sound. It sounded unnatural, and the treble was very aggressive and hurt my ears. It was also bass deficient. I hated the SR60 so much that I gave it away. I also bought the SR80 which is better, but still not great. Perhaps the more expensive Grados are much better, however I suggest that people avoid the SR80 and especially the SR60. I had the original versions, and the new ones are said to be improved, however the reviews I read don't claim that much of a difference.

Well, so much for the SR60 lol! I can see that there is a whole other world of discovery and investigation when getting into higher end headphones. I don't really have time or energy for that right now,  so I should press the escape key and just get the PX100II's. Due to the generally overwhelming positive reviews of the PX100II, for $55 it might just have to be done (even though I will also have the KSC75s).

Thanks for the input!

Jun 28, 2012 at 12:53 PM Post #10 of 22
I have a feeling that if you like the PX100II you will get even hungrier for more. Having a few headphones is okay, just choose them carefully so you don't get stuck with any you don't like, and don't get sucked into buying some expensive headphones that are good, but not that much better than the best ones that are 1/5th the price. Now that I look back at it, paying $250 for a pair of headphones 15 years ago since they had great reviews and were on sale for half price was still a mistake. Yes, it did sound great, but not that much better than some of the $60 and $80 headphones I had.

Jun 28, 2012 at 6:20 PM Post #11 of 22
Love how that guy mentions, "significantly outperforms the PX100-II in every area". I know this hobby is subjective, but honestly, I don't even think the HD600 or HD650 outperforms the PX100-II in every area...

Tyll over at Inner Fidelity said this: "One of my all-time favorite headphones, the PX 100-IIi sounds terrific, and in this latest iteration sounds better than the Grado SR60---my long-time favorite headphone in this category."

But again, it's all subjective. The SR60 is going to be a lot more "in your face" and bright compared to the PX100-II. As far as comfort and durability goes though, PX100-II has it. For me, sound as well, although I do like Grado sound. (Serious forum editing glitches...)

Jun 28, 2012 at 7:34 PM Post #12 of 22
Quote:
I have a feeling that if you like the PX100II you will get even hungrier for more.

I have a feeling that I won't be able to say that you were wrong LOL!

Quote:
Having a few headphones is okay, just choose them carefully so you don't get stuck with any you don't like, and don't get sucked into buying some expensive headphones that are good, but not that much better than the best ones that are 1/5th the price.

Right. The only ones that I'm going to get stuck with right now due to time constraints are the KSC75's and the price-express cheapo headband. But I am listening to them right now (and using the portapro pads), and they are sounding pretty friggin' awesome to me, so I'm OK with being stuck with them
smile.gif
  And even though I did get rather ripped off on the shipping costs for the price-express headband, I needed it pronto and I got it pronto (ordered on Sunday and received it here in Canada today). And I actually am very happy with them - just the right amount of pressure on the ears, and I can quickly hang them around my neck and don't feel like I'm being choked by a boa constrictor (like I do with the portapro headbands!). So it's all good!

Quote:
Now that I look back at it, paying $250 for a pair of headphones 15 years ago since they had great reviews and were on sale for half price was still a mistake. Yes, it did sound great, but not that much better than some of the $60 and $80 headphones I had.

Well, I do have this incredibly great forum at my disposal, and very experienced guys like you and Katun being very helpful. So if I do make a mistake, well, let's just call it "natural selection".

Thanks

Jun 28, 2012 at 7:42 PM Post #13 of 22
Quote:
Love how that guy mentions, "significantly outperforms the PX100-II in every area". I know this hobby is subjective, but honestly, I don't even think the HD600 or HD650 outperforms the PX100-II in every area...

Yeah, hard to take him too seriously.

Quote:
Tyll over at Inner Fidelity said this: "One of my all-time favorite headphones, the PX 100-IIi sounds terrific, and in this latest iteration sounds better than the Grado SR60---my long-time favorite headphone in this category."

But again, it's all subjective. The SR60 is going to be a lot more "in your face" and bright compared to the PX100-II. As far as comfort and durability goes though, PX100-II has it. For me, sound as well, although I do like Grado sound. (Serious forum editing glitches...)

Thanks. I don't really want "in your face" and bright. The KSC75's are just enough of that for my tastes. It is subjective, but based on yours and JK1's input, I am pretty sure that the worst case scenario for me will be "Wow, these are great!". So I can't really see going wrong with the PX100-II.

Jun 28, 2012 at 11:20 PM Post #14 of 22
Update: I was still waffling on the ksc75 versus portapro on the cheapo headbands - the damned portapro's simply were not making it easy for me to let them go. As great as the ksc75's sound on the cheapo headband (and they do sound great), I was finding the portapro's more expansive and less fatiguing to listen to, and I guess I really do like that bass. So as I was wrestling with that, J&R sent me an email indicating that the PX100-II's are now in stock. Thank God! I was able to order a pair and start letting the damned portapros go. I can now return them knowing that I will be getting the PX100-II's which should at least equal them, and most likely better them. And I will still have the excellent ksc75's as well. So all is good, and finally I can relax LOL!

Thanks again JK1 and Katun for all of your help!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back