Sennheiser PX 100-II bass issues?
Jun 29, 2012 at 2:34 AM Post #16 of 22
Quote:
Yup, hope you enjoy!

PX100-II is a "balanced" sounding PortaPro.

Please report back!
biggrin.gif

Thank you Katun! I'm not sure if you saw postrock's review here:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/614729/compact-portable-headphone-roundup

Sheesh - like I wasn't excited enough already!
smile.gif

Oct 12, 2013 at 12:21 PM Post #17 of 22

"sonically, I find them worse compared to the original--they sound slow, congested and have an accentuated upper-bass. I found the original PX100 to be the most detailed and balanced portable headphones available. With the PX100-II the detail is still there, however, it's no longer as natural sounding or as exciting. The sound slow and have an overly thick texture. The tonal character is a little overly warm as well, no surprise given the boosted upper-bass."

This...

"Bass: This is where I find total fault with the headphone. It is a bass heavy little headphone. Not punchy overwhelming bass but rather kind of dirty bass that seeps in and colors the midrange on some songs and on other songs is just too slow to add any sort of dynamic drive to the music. It will seem to lag behind and sound out of place. It will also color the vocals of male voices making them not believable. I love a lot of mid-bass output BUT the output on these headphones is too upfront and just lacks clarity. It serves to detract from music rather than add to it."

...this...

"I have the first generation PX100's and I decide to buy and try these. The new second gen PX100 are not nearly as good as the first gen! These have more bass, but the bass is over bearing and not as tight as the first gen. PX100. I am really disappointed. I love my first gen. PX100's."

...and this.  

These three quotes describe the PX100II vs the original PX100.  I tried to love the second version as much as I did the first, but a couple of tiny changes here and there threw everything off-balance.  They tried to infuse some "Beats" essence  (more mid-bass punch) into the equation and only succeeded in screwing up a classic headphone.   

Luckily I still have my original pair, but they are getting long in the tooth - I don't know how much life they still have in them.   The new version is just an okay headphone, IMO.

Oct 12, 2013 at 12:44 PM Post #18 of 22
Just grab a PX 95 after your 100's bite it for good. They are pretty much what you want. Never heard the first version but they fixed those issues in the PX100-II.

Oct 12, 2013 at 6:58 PM Post #19 of 22
  Just grab a PX 95 after your 100's bite it for good. They are pretty much what you want. Never heard the first version but they fixed those issues in the PX100-II.

Thanks for the advice.

I'll try the PX95 if I can't find the original PX100s when my pair finally dies. 

Oct 13, 2013 at 2:35 AM Post #20 of 22

Thanks for the advice.

I'll try the PX95 if I can't find the original PX100s when my pair finally dies. 

Or grab some $20 Koss sportapro's and throw the drivers on a $5 Parts Express headband. I still (and probably always will)  shake my head at how wonderful they sound.

Oct 13, 2013 at 3:18 AM Post #21 of 22
I think that the idea of 'detail' retrieval on the portapro is more to do with the stronger highs. The Porta is a touch more 'boom, tizz' sound I'd (rather like the 'loudness' button of old) so on the face of it is more in your face and entertaining sounding.

The PX 100 is more subtle sounding imo and gives as much detail without too much emphasis. It sounds frighteningly close to the 6xxx series and once you hear the bigger brothers, you realise what a good job the PX 100 does.

It helps to listen at a slightly louder volume level than on the Portapro. Detail becomes more apparent and the sound really blooms. Obviously, having said that, don't go deafening yourself, but the Senns really blossom and fill out at higher levels. The Portapro might start to turn edgy.

I really like the Porta, but it's not quite as subtle sounding as the PX100 which is a really good portable headphone and even better with amping too.

Oct 13, 2013 at 3:54 AM Post #22 of 22
subtle is a good description of the px100-ii, the highs are smooth and there is a surprising amount of bass you can just lose yourself in the music. My favourite sleeping headphones by far
k701smile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back