Sennheiser IE900 Review, Measurements, & Harman Target Talk
Nov 9, 2022 at 3:39 AM Post #4,021 of 4,833
I love my MM and can recommend it. The bass is more clean than people would expect. It's got sub bass heft that slides into harmon mid bass and is not boomy or bloated. Pleasing mids with nothing feeling recessed. The treble is a bit elevated but not sibilant. I think they felt the need the need to balance with the bass, but it's a bit more forward. Has decent air and stage for a basshead set.

The V2 has even more sub bass and treble, as I was told in an email exchange with Fatfreq. That made me a bit relieved as my MM was on it's way, and I wasn't lusting after the V2 as I wouldn't want more treble. It's also a little more expensive. I'd rather they raise the mid bass slightly and left the treble alone.

If you get one, get either (I recommend having both for other iems too) the Azla SednaEarfit Max tips or the Comply Isolation TX-400 foam tips as they each have waxguard/filters that protect the MM's open nozzle. The Azla tips are quality wide bore tips that open up treble, so I then got the foam tips which tame treble and made it sound perfect for me. I get a better seal with the foam tips as well which enhances the bass.

The MM is probably the best basshead set under $500 and you're not sacrificing mids/treble/stage. I want their tribrid but it's $1800. My next basshead set will be a tribrid and I think it'll be the Empire Ears Bravado mkII ($800). Seems to be the next level. I've considered the IE600 as I like everything I hear but not quite sure if has enough bass for me as the MM is now my norm.
Thanks for your impressions and tips (pun intended)! I had a look at the Empire Ears Bravado mkII - interesting, but knowing there's bigger bass cannons from EE and FatFreq, I might skip on that.

Current contenders are the FatFreq Maestro Mini (v1 or v2) or the 7Hz Timeless AE (has 4dB extra bass compared to the original). The Bravado 2 somehow feels like it won't deliver as much bass and costs more, so it didn't (yet) click with me. I also don't want something that risks being close to the IE900 so that I can keep justifying it place as a daily driver 😏

Nov 9, 2022 at 7:10 AM Post #4,022 of 4,833
Thanks for your impressions and tips (pun intended)! I had a look at the Empire Ears Bravado mkII - interesting, but knowing there's bigger bass cannons from EE and FatFreq, I might skip on that.

Current contenders are the FatFreq Maestro Mini (v1 or v2) or the 7Hz Timeless AE (has 4dB extra bass compared to the original). The Bravado 2 somehow feels like it won't deliver as much bass and costs more, so it didn't (yet) click with me. I also don't want something that risks being close to the IE900 so that I can keep justifying it place as a daily driver 😏
My pleasure. The Bravado mkII will give you overall more bass and a thicker tone with it's elevated mid bass. I'm a fan of that tuning.
Screen Shot 2022-11-09 at 7.01.10 AM.png

even with elevated bass on the Timeless AE, it's not approaching basshead territory. AE graph not avail yet but 7Hz says they added 3dB which you can add to the below graph of the OG Timeless. I'm sure it's nice but won't be similar to the feel of the MM or B mkII. Happy hunting, the journey is part of the fun.
Screen Shot 2022-11-09 at 7.02.08 AM.png

Nov 9, 2022 at 10:56 AM Post #4,023 of 4,833
Did you notice any "negatives" with this EQ? Wondering partly because the Q values aren't using octaves.

Sennheiser ie900 isn't the most resolving iem I own. So there is not much lost to its potential by EQing. Compared to something like a Dunu Luna dynamics and such.

So I find the ie900 just retains the level of performance it is at already.

Actually, I don't even like Harman target. But......I would be interested in trying an In-Ear Harman 2019 tuning. That is to see if less lower mids, helps ie900 allow the rest of the details to shine through more clearly; as I find this iem bass+speed slightly gets in the way of details.

To put it in other words:
So like the bass and the transient speed of the ie900 is kind of slow. And ie900 transients would benefit by less lower mids to prevent masking of details........while an iem like Dunu Luna can get away with more warmer bass/lower-mids and not mask the mids.

Last edited:
Nov 14, 2022 at 1:12 AM Post #4,024 of 4,833
Quick update to the IE600. Unfortunately my unit has a defect on the right side. Seems like in production someone was to generous with the glue and the ventilation hole got closed off. Normally if its not perfectely open it should matter that much but with this one i get crazy amounts of pressure as well as some distortion when i have a too strong seal. Added pictures of both sides for reference.
20220406_191904.jpg20220406_191950.jpg
Does the replaced unit produce unbalanced ear pressure? My new IE600 has the same issue, but I don't have the equipment to check if there is excessive glue blocking the hole. I have only found two people on the internet who mentions this problem. I'm considering either returning it or shipping it back for RMA.

Nov 14, 2022 at 11:19 AM Post #4,025 of 4,833
B&H Photo has all sizes of the IE Pro ear tips in stock. These are my favorite tips for the IE900 and hard to find in stock. If you haven't tried them, they're just like the stock tips, BUT they are stiffer than the stock. Highly recommended!!

Nov 15, 2022 at 11:22 AM Post #4,026 of 4,833
B&H Photo has all sizes of the IE Pro ear tips in stock. These are my favorite tips for the IE900 and hard to find in stock. If you haven't tried them, they're just like the stock tips, BUT they are stiffer than the stock. Highly recommended!!

I'll try them. I recently found my personal best with Moondrop Spring tips, but I'm game. (Originals collapse in my ears)

Nov 24, 2022 at 2:26 AM Post #4,027 of 4,833
Hi guys!

This may be a weird comparison as they are 2 different products, but could someone compare the HD800/S to the IE900?

I’m thinking of buying the 900 but I can’t find one to demo. I’ve always wanted a “portable” HD800S to travel and walk around and I want to know whether the IE900 is “it”.

I know that technicalities and such are not comparable but I’m mainly curious about tuning.

Thank you!

Nov 24, 2022 at 3:47 AM Post #4,028 of 4,833
Hi guys!

This may be a weird comparison as they are 2 different products, but could someone compare the HD800/S to the IE900?

I’m thinking of buying the 900 but I can’t find one to demo. I’ve always wanted a “portable” HD800S to travel and walk around and I want to know whether the IE900 is “it”.

I know that technicalities and such are not comparable but I’m mainly curious about tuning.

Thank you!

IE 900 is not a portable version of HD800S in terms of tuning. It's not even close.

Last edited:
Nov 24, 2022 at 6:28 AM Post #4,029 of 4,833
Hi guys!

Thank you!
I would say closest to the 820. I talked about the two here.

Nov 24, 2022 at 6:08 PM Post #4,031 of 4,833
Hi guys!

Thank you!

Most significant difference, IE900 puts vocals much further ahead in the mix than HD800S. HD800S will sound like vocals are coming from a radio speaker nearby in comparison (an exaggeration, but I am trying to over-emphasize to make things more relatable to understand)

And ie900 will bass hit much harder than the HD800S.

IE900 will show less presence to certain orchestra instruments main harmonic strikes and bites. While hd800S doesn't neglect that main harmonics (but it does overemphasize later stuff) .

Both hd800S and ie900 have a near shrill over emphasis to air frequency, that will focus you on the ambience of a scene rather than the main mix. With the IE900 it will feel sharper a step.

IE900 airiness will give an open feeling. But hd800S is both airy, but also the headphone reflects things on your ear to feel give a wide feeling beyond just sounding "airy" like the IE900.

Last edited:
Nov 29, 2022 at 10:34 AM Post #4,034 of 4,833
Juste pour info, j'ai obtenu un câble FiiO LC RE pro , les connecteurs mmcx ne sont pas compatibles avec les IE900/600.
Faites attention .

You can find mmcx-to-ie900 adapters for the IE900 on Aliexpress if you are willing to wait for shipping.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back