Sennheiser IE900 Review, Measurements, & Harman Target Talk
Nov 29, 2022 at 5:21 PM Post #4,036 of 4,853
Can you confirm that there is no serial number on the earbuds but only on the box and case?
Correct. The individual L/R housings are not serialized.

Sennheiser Stay updated on Sennheiser at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/SennheiserUSA https://twitter.com/SennheiserUSA http://www.instagram.com/sennheiser https://sennheiser.com/
Dec 1, 2022 at 2:35 PM Post #4,038 of 4,853
So the saga continues… Unfortunately, I am joining the ”Dead IE900s Society“. A couple of days ago, some little noises like sparking or crackling became audible every once in a while, on both channels, but not simultaneously. Now the right earpiece is completely dead. Those noises continue on the l.h.s., thus I am lead to suspect it might die, too. Of course, I checked for potential reasons, switch cables, switch channels, use my other IEM and my headphones on the DAP in use - nothing found. This strongly indicates that this is an IE900 earpiece failure, for now on the r.h.s. only, but for the l.h.s. cf. above.

Terribly sad! In early January 2022, I was happy to get hold of one of the last IE900s still manufactured in Germany (QC sheet and certificate dated Nov 2021). The warranty statement says 24 months (ok), and it says ”please refer to the warranty terms on our website sennheiser.de“.

This would seem easy, but there maybe is a little twist: I am the second owner, having purchased it from another head-fier here in Jan 2022, who had purchased it in Dec 2021. Coincidentally, he got it from a German retailer (official Sennheiser dealer) - I am in Germany as well. Today‘s Sennheiser warranty terms on the new website in my opinion are not exactly clear-cut regarding an automatic transfer of the warranty from the original purchaser to the 2nd owner; I don‘t know about applicable German law.

I am coming here to ask for your recommendations, considering Germany in particular.

What I think to do is the following:
- Approach the original German retailer, complete with his invoice / receipt to the 1st owner and the Sennheiser QC card / certificate.
- Explain the situation in detail.
- If needed, I could provide proof of my purchase as 2nd owner by the PayPal records.
- Await the reaction and hopefully appropriate actions.

Any other advice, please?

Thanks in advance for recommendations and advice.
Since I had reported here on my issue and received advice as well as some discussion, I feel obliged to also report on how it went. I am glad that the ”dead right earpiece“ failure was fully resolved by receiving a brand new IE900 in exchange for the failed one under warranty. Kudos to both my German local dealer and Sennheiser Germany for acting professionally, without any fuss, and swiftly (some three weeks only)!

Keeping my fingers crossed now for the new IE900! Since I like it a lot, and since I invested quite some effort into finding appropriate ear tips, and since I would not be sure on what to get instead, I quickly discarded my temporary impetus to exit the IE900 camp altogether … So I am on a new burn-in now …

Last edited:
Dec 4, 2022 at 10:45 AM Post #4,039 of 4,853
Is it also possible to do a quick visual check to determine fakes?
The fake ones look very good to me, I would guess its very difficult to tell the "DIY" one from the real one. Oher than the cable and the Sennheiser cable can be purchased as a spare part.

Only buy from an authorised dealer or only buy a used one from somebody you really trust. Make sure it comes with a full set of cables, the original box etc.

If the price looks too good to be true then its probably fake.

1670168596742.png

Dec 4, 2022 at 7:38 PM Post #4,040 of 4,853
There is no "blue" left unit on the official ie900. But I'd be hard pressed to see other details.

Dec 7, 2022 at 3:06 AM Post #4,043 of 4,853
will the campfire smoky litz cale fir the ie 900 or ie 600 IEM?

and if not will the mmcx linsoul iem cables fit that can be found on amazon?
please and thanks
Probably not, the campfire one won't I know because I have that one here, the cables on Amazon won't fit either unless specially listed to fit the Sennheiser.

Some, maybe all cables can be modified to fit though with a craft knife or a Dremel, it won't be pretty though. :)

Dec 8, 2022 at 8:01 AM Post #4,044 of 4,853
Do you think it is safe to use the foam/waxguard of the stock silicon tips with 3rd part tips like SpinFit which have no grid? At the moment, I like the SpinFit more but I don't want to risk dirt and cerume getting into the channel. And yes, I clean my ears every day :wink:.

Dec 8, 2022 at 9:09 AM Post #4,045 of 4,853
Do you think it is safe to use the foam/waxguard of the stock silicon tips with 3rd part tips like SpinFit which have no grid? At the moment, I like the SpinFit more but I don't want to risk dirt and cerume getting into the channel. And yes, I clean my ears every day :wink:.
If you are 'brave' and remove all the foam from a stock tip, leaving only the silicone nozzle and wax guard, some tips will fit over the top. I do this with spiral dots and get the best of both worlds.

Dec 8, 2022 at 11:04 AM Post #4,046 of 4,853

Yes. I even tried that with SpinFit, but the inner nozzle diameter of those tips is narrow, which means the foam gets compressed and may have an adverse effect on sound quality (I didn't A/B test to come up with definitive conclusions, however).

Dec 14, 2022 at 9:20 AM Post #4,048 of 4,853
Does anyone want my IE900 (diy)

You can have it for $100 and I will still make a profit.

Are they fake ones or something? Seems like the deal of the century if they are real (and if so I call dibs haha)

EDIT: just saw the small diy. Did you actually buy the shells and build your own iem are were these from fake ones from ali express?

Last edited:
Dec 14, 2022 at 9:36 AM Post #4,049 of 4,853
Man, sucks that fakes are getting this close to reality. I'd be weary about buying a IE 900 used.

Dec 14, 2022 at 11:46 AM Post #4,050 of 4,853
Are they fake ones or something? Seems like the deal of the century if they are real (and if so I call dibs haha)

EDIT: just saw the small diy. Did you actually buy the shells and build your own iem are were these from fake ones from ali express?
Hi, I didn't buy them, I have the genuine item. The link was sent to me in an AliExpress email, I shared it to make people aware that very good looking fakes are available under the category "DIY", most members are probably already aware of this but it doesn't hurt to publicise it again.

Not only does this devalue the genuine item but it makes it very difficult to know if you have a genuine one unless you get it from an authorised dealer.

Sadly there is nothing Sennheiser can do about this it would have to be stopped at source by AliExpress and I don't think they will do that because, profit.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back