Sennheiser IE900 Review, Measurements, & Harman Target Talk
Dec 15, 2022 at 1:33 PM Post #4,051 of 4,849
I found a really amazing tip that works on the IE900 in terms of fit.

The non-hybrid Earrbond tips. Probably the best 3rd party tip for me so far on the IE900.

Oddly the silicone iem wraps help with fit too. Lol, since the iem's are so small.
20220715_085222-1.jpg

20221215_131017.jpg

20221215_131055.jpg

Attachments

• 20221215_131046.jpg
    20221215_131046.jpg
    6.8 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Dec 16, 2022 at 2:23 AM Post #4,052 of 4,849
I found a really amazing tip that works on the IE900 in terms of fit.

The non-hybrid Earrbond tips. Probably the best 3rd party tip for me so far on the IE900.

Oddly the silicone iem wraps help with fit too. Lol, since the iem's are so small.

Looks great, we need a simple, safe mod to add the wax guard for tips like these though, any ideas anyone?

Last edited:
Jan 2, 2023 at 10:36 AM Post #4,055 of 4,849
hey mates... what about warmup for new ie900? how many hours and what expect in the end?
Folks from Sennheiser have said that there is no burn-in for the IE900 (I think it was @ericpalonen) . I found that there was a noticeable (to me) improvement with time. They did settle in after about 150 hours. Again, that's just for me.

Jan 2, 2023 at 10:44 AM Post #4,056 of 4,849
Folks from Sennheiser have said that there is no burn-in for the IE900 (I think it was @ericpalonen) . I found that there was a noticeable (to me) improvement with time. They did settle in after about 150 hours. Again, that's just for me.
Yes, most probably you are correct, my post was just meant to imply that there is no need to leave the ie900 plugged in and running in some dark cupboard for months it is very good out of the box, so just enjoy it from day one.

Jan 2, 2023 at 3:30 PM Post #4,058 of 4,849
I'm not a big burn-in-oriented person, but I did find the IE 900 much more enjoyable after a while. At first I found them too bassy, which made them too V-shaped for my taste. Did actually ponder returning them. But then the bass eventually chilled out, balancing out the sound sig. Never again did I find them too bassy. Haven't attributed it so much to brain burn-in because they're not my primary headphone.

I'd recommend anyone picking these up to give them time before fully assessing if you like them or not.

Jan 3, 2023 at 1:41 AM Post #4,059 of 4,849
I'm not a big burn-in-oriented person, but I did find the IE 900 much more enjoyable after a while. At first I found them too bassy, which made them too V-shaped for my taste. Did actually ponder returning them. But then the bass eventually chilled out, balancing out the sound sig. Never again did I find them too bassy. Haven't attributed it so much to brain burn-in because they're not my primary headphone.

I'd recommend anyone picking these up to give them time before fully assessing if you like them or not.
Bass qty hit me first at the store. Then i gave ‘em burn in for few hours and that crazy bass saline gone, it was quite clear for me. That’s why I asked about burn in. May be more changes soon. I’m running new dap and ie900 24 hours.

Jan 4, 2023 at 6:08 AM Post #4,060 of 4,849
Is there any measurable frequency response change over time anywhere documented?
If not then it's just one or combination of the following:
- emotions
- setting (environment)
- volume
- brain "burn-in", your neural networks adjusting to the sound signature
- physical wear of the tips
- changes in your hearing (can very even during the day depending on loudness of the environment you are exposed to)

What exactly should "burn in" do in the headphones? Diaphragm physical properties change over such a short period of time? I doubt it. And if any of the equipment would sound better with burn in why wouldn't the manufacturers do this in controlled environment? There should not be any believe in the sound science just facts.

Last edited:
Jan 4, 2023 at 6:15 AM Post #4,061 of 4,849
Is there any measurable frequency response change over time anywhere documented?
If not then it's just one or combination of the following:
- emotions
- setting (environment)
- volume
- brain "burn-in", your neural networks adjusting to the sound signature
- physical wear of the tips
- changes in your hearing (can very even during the day depending on loudness of the environment you are exposed to)

What exactly should "burn in" do in the headphones? Diaphragm physical properties change over such a short period of time? I doubt it. And if any of the equipment would sound better with burn in why would the manufacturers do this in controlled environment? There should not be any believe in the sound science just facts.
This is not the right place to start that discussion.

Lots of people believe in burn-in and lots don't, best not to start the argument IMHO.

Jan 4, 2023 at 9:20 AM Post #4,062 of 4,849
This is not the right place to start that discussion.

Lots of people believe in burn-in and lots don't, best not to start the argument IMHO.
I am not starting a discussion, I am commenting on the previous statements. As I said, there should not be "belief" here, we are not in church and we do not discuss religions in this forum but physical equipment that produces sound waves or electric currents. I am fine if people state that they have subjective sense of change of the sound but they should also think logically a bit about the reasons of that.

I own IE900 and a couple of other IEMs and they all sound just great out of the box as intended by the manufacturers.

Edit (I went into a rabbit hole of YouTube videos about "burn-in" in Hifi for you):
I could see how big moving parts can change physical properties over time (long time, we are talking hundreads of hours) in speakers but in such small drivers I don't think it will be audible. Also why is everybody talking about burn-in as something positive. It could be a change, but is it necesearly a change to the better? And what is better anyways :D

It would be great if somebody could measure IE900 right out of the box and then re-measure after a couple of month.
If this will produce any different results then every Crinacle FR for every headphone should now include a lifecycle (age of the product) timestamp for people to be able to reference to.

Last edited:
Jan 7, 2023 at 2:04 PM Post #4,063 of 4,849
Looks great, we need a simple, safe mod to add the wax guard for tips like these though, any ideas anyone?
Is an internal wax guard in a tip really needed with the design of the IEM tube basically looking like a wax guard itself?

Jan 8, 2023 at 5:00 AM Post #4,064 of 4,849
I am not starting a discussion, I am commenting on the previous statements. As I said, there should not be "belief" here, we are not in church and we do not discuss religions in this forum but physical equipment that produces sound waves or electric currents. I am fine if people state that they have subjective sense of change of the sound but they should also think logically a bit about the reasons of that.

I own IE900 and a couple of other IEMs and they all sound just great out of the box as intended by the manufacturers.

Edit (I went into a rabbit hole of YouTube videos about "burn-in" in Hifi for you):
I could see how big moving parts can change physical properties over time (long time, we are talking hundreads of hours) in speakers but in such small drivers I don't think it will be audible. Also why is everybody talking about burn-in as something positive. It could be a change, but is it necesearly a change to the better? And what is better anyways :D

It would be great if somebody could measure IE900 right out of the box and then re-measure after a couple of month.
If this will produce any different results then every Crinacle FR for every headphone should now include a lifecycle (age of the product) timestamp for people to be able to reference to.
Also great would be to A/B test a burned-in unit vs a brand unit…

Jan 8, 2023 at 5:02 AM Post #4,065 of 4,849
Is an internal wax guard in a tip really needed with the design of the IEM tube basically looking like a wax guard itself?
The nozzle grill is quite open and will not block fine wax particles. So yes, you definitely need some kind of wax guard on the tip, unless you religiously clean your ears before every listen.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back