Sennheiser IE900 Review, Measurements, & Harman Target Talk
Jul 9, 2021 at 5:23 AM Post #1,681 of 4,902
We are all in this together, so let's just relax, talk about the IE900 and music, and anything else.

Absolutely, great to have a shared passion that is ultimately about music and how we listen to it.

Jul 9, 2021 at 8:44 AM Post #1,684 of 4,902
👋 As a user with the Sennheiser badge I want to chime in quickly with an opinion about the music recommendations within the IE 900 thread.

Nothing makes us happier than to see great questions and discussions about the IE 900. I love the impressions, best practices and signal chains everyone is sharing And that is the 80/20 rule of this great community anyways. With regard to sharing tracks, demonstrating capability is best done with music and we are perfectly happy with the posts as long as they are in line with Head-Fi code. However each recommendation should be accompanied by context i.e. "What to look for" when played through the IE 900. Both @Evshrug and myself listen to many of these tracks so long as there is a reason why. We also like to build playlists so that new Sennheiser owners can have a go to "setlist" for when that special package arrives. Without that context it doesn't benefit the readers.

As someone else mentioned, no, this is not a music thread, however music and earphone discussion are joined at the hip (and awesomely so). As long as there is some meat on the bone (what to look for) we welcome the sharing of track recommendations that you feel would be beneficial for putting the IE 900 through a workout. Cheers!

Sennheiser Stay updated on Sennheiser at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/SennheiserUSA https://twitter.com/SennheiserUSA http://www.instagram.com/sennheiser https://sennheiser.com/
Jul 9, 2021 at 9:01 AM Post #1,685 of 4,902
I hadn't even heard of this "Belkis" piece until about 2 years ago. Now this suite version is one of my favorites. This RR version goes all out, and makes good on all the requirements of the score, including a real tenor. And to think I considered myself well-versed in music. Sheesh!
Oh, and since this is a thread about my new IE-900s, I should mention that when the orchestra is full tutti with lots of treble energy I find myself realizing "wait, I've never heard that before." Maybe I'm actually hearing the more revealing high-end that these IEMs are said to provide. It's been two weeks of constant listening, but I want to make sure that I'm not hearing a "placebo" effect. I work from home, so listening a good portion of the workday is more revealing day by day.

Last edited:
Jul 9, 2021 at 11:26 AM Post #1,686 of 4,902
Au contraire mon ami. Power isn't about average volume only. When you listen to a wide dynamic range recording with no compression, your average listening only takes maybe 1/100th or less of the actual power output of your DAP. Since volume is not linear in its progression but rather logarithmic instead, you want the power in reserve to faithfully reproduce those peaks that take up to 100's of times the average power with which you listen normally. Additionally, the impedance of the IE900's is ½ of most other IEMS that sit at 32 Ohms. Impedance is also non-linear, so while the IE900 may not require 2X times the power to drive, let's just say it requires a lot more "volume," especially on short-lived multiple-millisecond peaks.

Based on your post I teamed my poly/mojo with an old sony headphone amp I had sadly neglected in a drawer - pha-1...

And blimey ... it does make a subtle difference; not too subtle to put it back in the drawer.. nice one. Top-tip. Thanks.

Tested with my nio's and solitaire P's.

Ironically, not yet with my Z1R's ... but they're relegated for portable use with my SR15 these days..

Jul 9, 2021 at 12:48 PM Post #1,687 of 4,902
We've removed a number of posts that were going off track from the IE 900 discussion. Thank you to everyone who kept the thread on-topic, including discussion of the music, movies, and other content that we have been enjoying with the IE 900. We really appreciate it.

Jul 9, 2021 at 12:53 PM Post #1,688 of 4,902
has anyone done an in depth comparison between the IE900s and the Legend X?

I did a search, and found some people suggesting the bass may be better?
You'll want to keep an eye out for @gLer 's IE 900 review for sure (sounds like it'll be out relatively soon). He also stans the EE Legend X, so I'm sure he'll address a comparison there at soem level....also search for his posts in this thread as I think he's made some general observations in comparison.

Jul 9, 2021 at 1:45 PM Post #1,689 of 4,902
Any comparison?
I´m deciding to buy Sennheiser IE900, Campfire Audio Solaris 2020, Audeze Euclid, Campfire Audio Andromeda 2020 or iBasso it07.

Jul 9, 2021 at 5:44 PM Post #1,690 of 4,902
You'll want to keep an eye out for @gLer 's IE 900 review for sure (sounds like it'll be out relatively soon). He also stans the EE Legend X, so I'm sure he'll address a comparison there at soem level....also search for his posts in this thread as I think he's made some general observations in comparison.
Indeed, check in early next week. And yes, there will be an LX comparison in there somewhere.

Jul 9, 2021 at 6:25 PM Post #1,691 of 4,902
Any comparison?
I´m deciding to buy Sennheiser IE900, Campfire Audio Solaris 2020, Audeze Euclid, Campfire Audio Andromeda 2020 or iBasso it07.
You really not sure what sound you prefer ? Seems you after various sounds.

Jul 9, 2021 at 7:04 PM Post #1,692 of 4,902
I only watch John Darko's YT video content for the music cues, not the subject matter of the video (usually)... Same thing. Doesn't interest you? Scroll on.
Same here, I discovered Hardwell through his video while researching on a Chord or RME I was after. Don't watch him otherwise.

Jul 10, 2021 at 6:20 AM Post #1,693 of 4,902
An ambient recommendation, listening to this as a Saturday morning relaxation and focused listen. A wonderful blend of many layers of intricate details which build and pan across the full range of IE900 soundstage - it really is an album that demands attention, not one to have in the background. Unbelievably captivating as it unfolds, various samples appearing amongst the flowing synths and while incredibly relaxing, there is enough detail to keep me focused and not drift off to sleep.

A brilliant example for me of the IE900 capacity for detail and coherency but in a large soundstage that has a central focus. Moments of deep subbass present occasionally and literally put shivers through me. Reminds me a bit of some more ambient moments from The Orb.

If you enjoy this type of music, I highly recommend a focused listen - a unique and absolutely captivating experience.

Jul 10, 2021 at 11:54 AM Post #1,694 of 4,902
Hey everyone!
Ear tips and comfort are key to in-ear wearing comfort and forming a good seal for isolation and bass response. To help in this regard, Sennheiser includes tips in foam and silicone, in three sizes each, and each tip can be used in two positions!

Sennheiser just released this illustration to better demonstrate the two positions and insertion depth options on the included ear tips:

As you can see, the tips can be pushed all the way down over the nozzle for a shallow insertion depth, or the tip pulled out to reveal some of the stem of the nozzle and to have the ear tip extend deeper into the ear. The tips hold these two positions by having two grooves in both the silicone and the foam tips, as shown here:

image.jpg

The sound and comfort will vary based on an individual’s ear shape, where the first bend of their ear canal is, and personal preference. We encourage all users to experiment!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back