Sennheiser IE900 Review, Measurements, & Harman Target Talk
Jun 3, 2021 at 8:48 AM Post #781 of 4,836
You pushed the ear piece in and it broke ? I never had any iem brake.
Yes. It sounded like the driver was flexing and after the flexing sound the driver was dead.

Jun 3, 2021 at 8:50 AM Post #782 of 4,836
Well I took a hammer to mine on the back of the negative comments and tried to smash them but they are tough little buggers! :)

Jokes aside, if I hadn't managed to get my hands on a demo unit, I'm not sure I would have bought one - especially with the various comments about treble, I would likely have felt they'd be too bright for my typical preference, or at least what I thought my preference is...

But interestingly, the treble is often what makes them magic for me - not sure how to best articulate other than in 'feelings' terms but often when I'm listening, a moment might drop into the track with a crisp treble element, it can make me stop what I'm doing and just absolutely focus on the music - shivers through me, smile on my face (or maybe even tears in my eyes, depending on what I'm listening to!) and what feels like a dopamine hit: now clearly this is a response to the music in general too, not just the means of delivery but obviously both combined are what our brains ultimately receive and the subsequent chemical reactions triggered.

I must add too, it has genuinely been tough for me sharing impressions due to the fact I don't have the technical knowledge to share what might be considered reliable or maybe hype - but what I say are my impressions, expressed in the only way I can for now. Its strange as a music fanatic for so many years entering an unfamiliar realm with a whole new set of terminology that was just never on my radar up to a few months ago... of course I knew about EQing, the differences from lows, mids and highs, tempo etc, my years DJing (hobbies, parties, pirate stations mostly) certainly tuned to my ears to beat-matching and probably more importantly, track matching and set progression, but a lot of new lingo to now understand which I am certainly enjoying, especially as I become more familiar with various flavours of IEMs and what they can or can't do.

Anyway, a lunchtime ramble.

Jun 3, 2021 at 9:01 AM Post #783 of 4,836
Well I took a hammer to mine on the back of the negative comments and tried to smash them but they are tough little buggers! :)

Jokes aside, if I hadn't managed to get my hands on a demo unit, I'm not sure I would have bought one - especially with the various comments about treble, I would likely have felt they'd be too bright for my typical preference, or at least what I thought my preference is...

But interestingly, the treble is often what makes them magic for me - not sure how to best articulate other than in 'feelings' terms but often when I'm listening, a moment might drop into the track with a crisp treble element, it can make me stop what I'm doing and just absolutely focus on the music - shivers through me, smile on my face (or maybe even tears in my eyes, depending on what I'm listening to!) and what feels like a dopamine hit: now clearly this is a response to the music in general too, not just the means of delivery but obviously both combined are what our brains ultimately receive and the subsequent chemical reactions triggered.

I must add too, it has genuinely been tough for me sharing impressions due to the fact I don't have the technical knowledge to share what might be considered reliable or maybe hype - but what I say are my impressions, expressed in the only way I can for now. Its strange as a music fanatic for so many years entering an unfamiliar realm with a whole new set of terminology that was just never on my radar up to a few months ago... of course I knew about EQing, the differences from lows, mids and highs, tempo etc, my years DJing (hobbies, parties, pirate stations mostly) certainly tuned to my ears to beat-matching and probably more importantly, track matching and set progression, but a lot of new lingo to now understand which I am certainly enjoying, especially as I become more familiar with various flavours of IEMs and what they can or can't do.

Anyway, a lunchtime ramble.
I hear you, but I'm sure i speak for all when i say we appreciate all your input, it's been great reading about your journey and i could associate with most of it as similar music tastes and i find it very hard to describe ehat i am hearing amd ofter regret writing stuff here😅

Been comparing Mest2 to IE900 briefly just now for the first time, it confirmed IE900 is not like previous Senn iems as those all sounded very different tonality to any multi driver iems I've heard(loads), but now this single DD is the first that im not missing clarity, stage or details, its an incredible Iem and i think I'll keep both.
Not to say that the 2 Thieaudio's are far behind, just more or less in the same boat, but no point me keeping everything

Jun 3, 2021 at 9:27 AM Post #784 of 4,836
Yes. It sounded like the driver was flexing and after the flexing sound the driver was dead.
I had this happen with my original set of momentum true wireless buds, where one bud went out (could hear the driver flex and it eventually stopped making sound). Senn replaced it.

I can hear driver flex on my IE 800 S, which made me worried after this, but the sound has never gone out fortunately. Maybe these 7mm drivers are prone to it? Wish Senn would address it.

Jun 3, 2021 at 9:30 AM Post #785 of 4,836
It's nearly 3 days I try to get used to the IE900 .... and jumping from time to time between IER-Z1R and Xelento ..

I am wondering how to get quickly a clear and precise opinion preference, I imagine it will probably take some weeks in my case before I get a clear preference (1 month delay offered by Sennheiser).
About comfort :
-> I feel these very rigid balanced cables 4.4mm and 2.5mm from IE900 are not really comfortable to put around the ears, too sensitive to microphonics noise .. and I can't use any of my other mmx cable to compare.
-> with the IE900, it's quite often a real challenge to find the right position in the ear to get a perfect seal and best sound (with Sony and Beyerdynamic I find instantly the right position). With the IE 900, I am struggling between position 1 and position 2 of the tips. Luckily, once the perfect position is found, It doesn't move at all for hours in the ear.

At least, till now, I feel the Xelento are more comfortable than IER-Z1R or IE900 to wear for hours or even staying on the side with a cushion.

For sound perspective... these 3 IEMs give really different results and as the Sony IER-Z1R is often seen as a reference and for sure the IE900 has not the same sound, it's rather difficult to find in a short time if the differences make the IE900 a better IEM or not...
I would say, the easiest part is probably the low and ultra low frequencies .. where the Xelento, is clearly more muddy in low frequencies than the two others. But, I am even surprised that the IE900 can fight so nearly the IER-Z1R in the quality of the low and ultra-low frequencies => both can offer very comparable deep clear fast impacts in low frequencies (while the Xelento can't.. it's definitely muddy without EQ).
Where it's much more complicated it's around mid and upper frequencies => 2 different worlds... as I am so used with the IER-Z1R, the changes are very important. I really like the IE900 as I just discover it... but ... my reference is the IER-Z1R, so I need time to appreciate what can make IE900 better or not and for what.

Last edited:
Jun 3, 2021 at 9:39 AM Post #786 of 4,836
I hear you, but I'm sure i speak for all when i say we appreciate all your input, it's been great reading about your journey and i could associate with most of it as similar music tastes and i find it very hard to describe ehat i am hearing amd ofter regret writing stuff here😅

Been comparing Mest2 to IE900 briefly just now for the first time, it confirmed IE900 is not like previous Senn iems as those all sounded very different tonality to any multi driver iems I've heard(loads), but now this single DD is the first that im not missing clarity, stage or details, its an incredible Iem and i think I'll keep both.
Not to say that the 2 Thieaudio's are far behind, just more or less in the same boat, but no point me keeping everything

Thank you, I am genuinely pleased that my thoughts were useful!

I'm the same with MEST MKII and the IE900, I feel I have all I want for now in these two, seriously considering selling others (maybe not IER-M9) but I'll give it another month or so.

Jun 3, 2021 at 9:40 AM Post #787 of 4,836
Good news, the latest firmware for both W1/W2 is available to download now V1.0.2.6:

http://www.luxuryprecision.net/xiazai/

Added IE800s SE846 tuning mode, asynchronous UAC connection mode, fixed the BUG of no sound after V1.0.2.2 version DSD switched tuning mode.

Enjoy your IE900 guys,👍😊

Last edited:
Jun 3, 2021 at 10:05 AM Post #788 of 4,836
That's how it should be, i agree, but it wasn't my experience so far.
Unfortunately neither custom tips nor my first customs fit me perfectly. I gave up on tips, but i'm waiting my refits to come back from 64a fingers crossed.
I'd have to agree that CIEM's fit extremely well when dialed in, but small UIEM's where you can find the right tips are actually more comfortable for me.

My UERR's are a perfect fit for my ear, but they're a rigid shell, so any jaw movement out of the "rest" state distorts the ear canal causing the surrounding tissue to start to develop hot spots against the shell. These hot spots don't arise with the IE 900—at least for me using the SednaEarfit's since the TPU softly deforms with movement.

With the UERR's, it's comfortable, but I'm aware that I'm wearing them. With the IE 900/SednaEarfits, I can forget that I'm wearing IEM's.

Incidentally, popping the UERR's in and out are easy and quick. I'm still a total klutz trying to get the IE 900's out of my ears. 😂

Last edited:
Jun 3, 2021 at 10:14 AM Post #789 of 4,836
I had this happen with my original set of momentum true wireless buds, where one bud went out (could hear the driver flex and it eventually stopped making sound). Senn replaced it.

I can hear driver flex on my IE 800 S, which made me worried after this, but the sound has never gone out fortunately. Maybe these 7mm drivers are prone to it? Wish Senn would address it.
Does pushing them in too fast cause this ? Thats what she said.

Jun 3, 2021 at 10:41 AM Post #790 of 4,836
Does pushing them in too fast cause this ? Thats what she said.

I never had any problems with any iems no matter how fast or deep I insert them. But I am Doing it gently! Thats what she said 🤣

Jun 3, 2021 at 10:52 AM Post #791 of 4,836
Thank you, I am genuinely pleased that my thoughts were useful!

I'm the same with MEST MKII and the IE900, I feel I have all I want for now in these two, seriously considering selling others (maybe not IER-M9) but I'll give it another month or so.
I'd keep the M9, it's rare, mest2 i love, its a premium set amd a keeper 👌🍻

Jun 3, 2021 at 11:51 AM Post #792 of 4,836
Jun 3, 2021 at 11:55 AM Post #793 of 4,836
Jun 3, 2021 at 12:27 PM Post #794 of 4,836
Jun 3, 2021 at 12:55 PM Post #795 of 4,836

Users who are viewing this thread

Back