Sennheiser IE900 Review, Measurements, & Harman Target Talk
Jun 3, 2021 at 3:40 AM Post #766 of 4,836
Interesting cable! By the looks. It seems to be exactly like the stock cables that comes with fir audio ( 8wires ) and 64audio ( 4 wires ) they looks so alike! The finish feels the same visually, like satin matt something like that. But they use SPC l, brise audio probably uses occ and copper?
Yes, they seem to use copper only. More here - http://briseaudio.com/cable-select.html

Jun 3, 2021 at 3:47 AM Post #767 of 4,836
He told me they're shipping on June 9th, so I guess it should arrive by the 3rd week of June maybe depending on their shipping method.

Yes, I have their Asuha Ref 2 cable, which I used for a pair of JVC FW1K. No microphonics whatsoever (review here). They also use titanium for the memory wire around the ear, so it's extremely malleable but also very strong. I'm not a huge cable guy, but it was a notable improvement from the stock cable in every respect - generating more impact, better definition, and making the IEM more resolving. I loved the FW1K with this cable, but the fit didn't work for me. The Asuha Ref 2 feels very well built but it's also not overly heavy or unyielding. I would expect the BESP cable for the IE900 to be as malleable if not more so.

The more I listen to the IE900, the more it impresses me, so I personally have no reservations about getting a high-end cable for it.

It also looks delightful, too.

P1090357_2.jpg

Excellent, thanks for that - nudging me closer to my first relatively expensive cable! It does look fantastic.

Jun 3, 2021 at 3:58 AM Post #769 of 4,836
Somehow I doubt any universal IEM would be more comfortable than any “well made and up to date custom as it’s literally moulded to your ear”. 😂
That's how it should be, i agree, but it wasn't my experience so far.
Unfortunately neither custom tips nor my first customs fit me perfectly. I gave up on tips, but i'm waiting my refits to come back from 64a fingers crossed.

Jun 3, 2021 at 3:58 AM Post #770 of 4,836
Excellent, thanks for that - nudging me closer to my first relatively expensive cable! It does look fantastic.

From my vast experience trying many different cables I can tell you that there is a difference from cable to cable. Each has there own signature and performance levels.

You just need to be reasonable and understand what you are buying.

For example all gold cable is less performance then a all copper but costs a tremendous amount of cash more.... And is not bringing better performance.

Usually full silver is the best performance and copper is the normal option. I personally love coppers more as its more natural and it offer best bass sonical vibes 😃🙃

Jun 3, 2021 at 4:02 AM Post #772 of 4,836
I finally replaced my winter tyre weels on my car for summer tyres. Took me one hour roughly. Listened to Toy from Yello. With the silicone tips I have zero cable noise. It was a very pleasant workout with me sweating and never touching the IE900 to readjust. Very good experience. And very pleasant sound.

Jun 3, 2021 at 4:24 AM Post #773 of 4,836
Anyone with IE900 + Effect Audio ConX cables? Are they compatible?
It might be compatible actually.

But, unfortunately, I don’t have the IE900 to test out to confirm this.

83C97165-54AB-40C0-8982-AF65FDAC632D.jpeg

Jun 3, 2021 at 6:04 AM Post #775 of 4,836
That’s actually a very good review from them. They don’t give out many good reviews and I’m not sure if they spend much time listening to their equipment or whether they just stare at graphs.

An HD800 in the IEM space is what most people would want from Sennheiser. Except this one has bass.

Jun 3, 2021 at 7:38 AM Post #778 of 4,836
I’ve had to change tips today, the medium silicone didn’t want to seal in my left ear this morning so I went back to the medium foam for a couple of hours.
I find the sound with the foam to be a little darker overall, the bass is slightly more elevated and a little bit of ‘air’ is lost. It’s not night and day but it’s a slight change. I find the sound slightly more open with the Silicone (when I get a good seal) but it’s not a big difference.
The noise isolation is better with the foam as expected, it’s a bit of a conundrum really going forward. hopefully I won’t have this issue with my left ear to often as overall I prefer the silicone.
another point worth mentioning to those that can’t get the silicone to seal, I find, especially in my left ear, that not forcing a fully deep insertion to produce a better contact and seal with my canal.

Jun 3, 2021 at 8:21 AM Post #779 of 4,836
I’m sure there will be countless impressions/reviews in the coming days, so I’ll just focus on comparison and contrasts to its little brother, the IE 300. Mind you, this is only after several hours of listening, so my thoughts may change over time.

Aesthetically, it’s got a nice retro vibe but the finish is a little ‘dull’ for my taste. In a way, it feels like an unfinished prototype. A little better polish would’ve been nice. Looking at them side by side, I actually prefer the finish of the IE 300, but I may be the oddball here. Comfort as expected is top notch and I’m currently rocking the Azla standard tips.

Sound wise, biggest difference for me which was immediately noticeable is how well these negate undesirable resonances compared to the IE 300. That is the most impressive part for me thus far. The difference is akin to inherent benefits/drawbacks of typical open back vs closed back design of identical model if that makes sense. I think this really lends itself to more precise perceived imaging and instrument separation with excellent transient response. It’s a really clean sound across the FR compared to its sibling without any masking. I thought bass was IE 300’s strong point, but the bass on the IE 900 is exceptional and much cleaner. With that being said, It is important to point out that the findings were apparent only after a direct comparison, and something I never felt was a shortcoming on the IE 300.

Now, on the flip side, I noticed a slight uncomfortable bite in the upper frequencies at times (not sibilant), which can potentially lead to fatigue over time. So, for prolonged sessions, I might actually prefer the warmth and comfort of the IE 300. I felt like I was “on edge” sometimes when listening to the IE 900. To be fair, I’m currently conditioned to my IE 300, so we’ll see if the occasional perceived peak dissipates as I get adjusted to the sound. However, I do believe the IE 300 has more balanced tone overall.

So, is it worth it to have both? I don’t think so. The overall tone is similar enough to not warrant owning both sets IMO. It's a direct upgrade from the same family tree if you will. How about ‘is it worth the $1k upgrade?’ If you can stretch your budget without breaking the bank, I’d say grab the IE900. If not, you’ll be just as happy with the IE300.

Although IE 900 appears more capable in almost every aspect, for 'casual' listening, I feel some users including myself may find the laid-back warmth of the IE 300 more agreeable.

With that being said, I think this is as good as it gets as far as single DD goes.
For now, I’m happy with this purchase

I agree. The IE 300 is more laid back and for me more easy to listen to. But the IE 900 is technical far more capable. Sadly my IE 300 is broken 10 minutes ago. There was a flex sound in the right earphone. I wanted to them in my ears - right side gone. I’m thinking I am not the only user with this kind of problem. Not sure to buy a new unit.

Jun 3, 2021 at 8:24 AM Post #780 of 4,836
I agree. The IE 300 is more laid back and for me more easy to listen to. But the IE 900 is technical far more capable. Sadly my IE 300 is broken 10 minutes ago. There was a flex sound in the right earphone. I wanted to them in my ears - right side gone. I’m thinking I am not the only user with this kind of problem. Not sure to buy a new unit.
You pushed the ear piece in and it broke ? I never had any iem brake.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back