Sennheiser IE900 Review, Measurements, & Harman Target Talk
Jan 2, 2022 at 5:49 AM Post #2,896 of 4,836
Thanks all. I have the Z1R (my favourite IEM) but I mainly use them at home, these would be my portable IEM and looks like they'd fit the role well!

Jan 2, 2022 at 6:19 AM Post #2,897 of 4,836
Loved the IER-Z1R and yes it betters the IE900 in technicalities, but am I the only one finding it quite incoherent? This clash in timbre and disjointness was problematic for me.

Much happier with a better top to bottom integrated sound of the IE900.

Last edited:
Jan 2, 2022 at 6:27 AM Post #2,898 of 4,836
Loved the IER-Z1R and yes it betters the IE900 in technicalities, but am I the only one finding it quite incoherent? This clash in timbre and disjointness was problematic for me.

It is the Ier-z1r subbass reverb, while very special, I find it distracting.

If you swap to Final-E tips they don't reverberate with the ier-z1r subbass and it becomes a lot more coherent to me.

Spinfits, Azla SednaEarfit Lights, and the Sony Hybrids emphasize that subbass reverb of the ier-z1r.

Last edited:
Jan 2, 2022 at 6:38 AM Post #2,899 of 4,836
I'm a huge fan of the sub-bass rumble. It's one of the special qualities of the Z1R and one aspect where it betters the already exceptional IE900 bass for me. I don't hear it as incoherent at all, but then I value great quality bass above all else. Interestingly I don't find the Z1R (or IE900) to be 'basshead' IEMs at all, in that they don't colour or overwhelm everything with bass. But both have the most satisfying bass I've ever heard, Z1R just edging IE900 in overall grandeur.

Jan 2, 2022 at 4:10 PM Post #2,901 of 4,836
Has anyone compared ie300 to ie900? Is the ie900 $1000 better?

This is just my humble opinion, but like most hobbies the very top end isn't lets say 10 times better compared to the budget/mid offering.

But if you're really into the hobby, then yes its prob worth it to spend the extra cash, for the average consumer it isn't tho.

Jan 2, 2022 at 4:30 PM Post #2,902 of 4,836
This is just my humble opinion, but like most hobbies the very top end isn't lets say 10 times better compared to the budget/mid offering.

But if you're really into the hobby, then yes its prob worth it to spend the extra cash, for the average consumer it isn't tho.
I agree. SQ doesn't work that way. IE 900 is a significant step up from the IE 300. If you're happy to compromise, IE 300 is a great IEM. If you can afford the extra $1000 and want the best possible SQ from a Sennheiser IEM, IE 900 will reward the investment.

Jan 2, 2022 at 4:47 PM Post #2,904 of 4,836

Yeah, the Z1R has coherency issues that the IE900 doesn't. But, the Z1R scales better. I paired both with my TT2 and the IE900 sounded really poorly resolving whereas the Z1R got a lot better and more holographic.

Jan 2, 2022 at 4:51 PM Post #2,905 of 4,836
Yeah I mean the Traillii showed me that the extra $2000 over something like the Odin unlocks a world that no other IEM can match. It was the only IEM to ever make me second guess if I had my hd800s on or the IEM, lol. Now that could be due to the fitment, tip choices, etc. but I kind of doubt that because I’ve tried a ton of IEMs.

I have an ie900 on the way and I can’t wait to try it. I did dabble with the ie300 and to be honest the sound staging was doodoo. The far front and far back imaging was spot on but anything along the close back - mid - close front area was hard to distinguish which direction the sound was exactly coming from. I did notice the bass was really good and I can only imagine how much better it will be with the ie900. I’m sure it will beat my Traillii, but I’m hoping that I can get a similar headstage for music and gaming. Then I’ll even sell my hd800s finally.. lol

Jan 2, 2022 at 5:23 PM Post #2,906 of 4,836
Pls excuse me, what are positions 2 and 1? Trying to learn.
Basically it boils down to how far the ear tip is shoved onto the nozzle.
Yeah I mean the Traillii showed me that the extra $2000 over something like the Odin unlocks a world that no other IEM can match. It was the only IEM to ever make me second guess if I had my hd800s on or the IEM, lol. Now that could be due to the fitment, tip choices, etc. but I kind of doubt that because I’ve tried a ton of IEMs.

I have an ie900 on the way and I can’t wait to try it. I did dabble with the ie300 and to be honest the sound staging was doodoo. The far front and far back imaging was spot on but anything along the close back - mid - close front area was hard to distinguish which direction the sound was exactly coming from. I did notice the bass was really good and I can only imagine how much better it will be with the ie900. I’m sure it will beat my Traillii, but I’m hoping that I can get a similar headstage for music and gaming. Then I’ll even sell my hd800s finally.. lol
I absolutely like my IE900 and I do game with them sometimes but I personally don’t think iems have a huge soundstage by design.
That’s why headphones almost always do a better job so save a place for your hd800s in my opinion.

Attachments

• 1641039458013.png
    1641039458013.png
    698.3 KB · Views: 0
Jan 3, 2022 at 1:00 AM Post #2,908 of 4,836
Yeah, the Z1R has coherency issues that the IE900 doesn't. But, the Z1R scales better. I paired both with my TT2 and the IE900 sounded really poorly resolving whereas the Z1R got a lot better and more holographic.
I'm yet to hear incoherency with Z1R, but then I'm not really affected by or listen for incoherency. IE 900 + Dave is the best IEM combo I've ever heard, so I can only imagine what Dave would do with Z1R 😮

Jan 3, 2022 at 1:16 AM Post #2,909 of 4,836
I have a question for the Sennheiser representatives here on this ”official“ thread. Disclaimer: I am well aware that you might not be able to comment, but I think I should ask anyway.

Could you please comment on when you expect a steady availability of certain devices manufactured at Tullamore, e.g. via your website store?

Of course, also from my personal experience in a different industry, I do perfectly understand that even the most motivated workers/craftsmen and the most perfect machines have to run up learning curves, until there is a steady flow of goods that perfectly match all severe quality requirements.

Plus all parts and supply chain problems as of now. Plus the latest challenges to be caused by the COVID pandemic on top of all existing ones, e.g. massive quarantining due to Omicron (not to forget the human disasters and tragedies behind the mere numbers!).

Taking all that together, my personal guess for an answer to my question as a gut feeling out of the blue might be ”not before Easter“.

I would be grateful if Sennheiser reps could comment, please.

I should add that I am most interested to be able to purchase a ”freshly made and perfect“ IE 900 directly from you.

Hi, thanks for the great question. We have transferred production of different product lines over the past six months, i.e. 600 series headphones have been built since summer in Ireland. The team was already incredibly experienced with this product, so we never had better availability before with this product family. The IE 900 specifically was built since November in Ireland. Since launch, we have been overwhelmed with the community's excitement for the IE 900, so availability was limited. This compounds to be challenging for the manufacturing team since they have the learning curve of miniature assembly and a steep backlog to work against at the same time.
This means that all stock at our warehouses is cleared of German-made products. So if you see the IE 900 available on our website and live in one of the major regions, it will be Irish-made. Unfortunately, I can't say much about general availability. Still, the Irish team is already training additional production teams for IEM assembly, and they'll do everything humanly possible to speedily get the products you love in pristine quality in your hands. I'd look at the website every other week, but your gut feeling might be quite precise.

Thank you so much for your answer. Quite an exemplary one in detail and transparency! I think the community does appreciate this greatly.
I figure you folks here might be interested in this Sennheiser statement. Thank you to @Deekay896 for pointing me to that thread.

Jan 3, 2022 at 12:24 PM Post #2,910 of 4,836
Thought this might be useful for some folks. Unlike any other IEM I have ever used, I found the IE900 to work best with the small stock tips but only in the first position. However, they would always push into the second position.

I cut out a small piece of tips from an inexpensive wireless IEM (Sony XM4s) and placed them in the section between the base (position 2) and the first position. I then put on the small stock tips. Perfect positioning and perfect sound every single time. It’s the best IEM I’ve ever used.

Late to the game on this hack - but wow - thanks so much. Small stock tips still way too tiny my for ginourmous ear holes - but the mediums work like a charm. The insertion of them in position 1 was always precarious - and quite frustrating, but this hack makes it perfect every time.

Cheers and thanks for this!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back