Sennheiser IE900 Review, Measurements, & Harman Target Talk
Jan 5, 2022 at 1:48 AM Post #2,926 of 4,891
We must have very similar ears then. Those are exactly my go to tips as well.
Spiral are my go to for Sony IENs and also the most comfortable with the IE 900, but I feel the AET07 sounds better with IE 900, especially with vocal clarity.

Jan 5, 2022 at 2:44 AM Post #2,927 of 4,891
After 6 months using the IE900, it will soon be my main IEM, when I finish adapting it to all my uses ..
Here .. the quite perfect combo to sleep :
-> a very flat Sennheiser Ie900 (almost as flat as my Xelento)
-> Sony IER-Z1R silicone tips, waiting for some small rubber O-ring to replace those (too narrow tubes of the Sony's tips) with the larger but too short tubes and much softer rubber of the Beyerdynamic Xelento tips (actually, nice to use most of the time, but those are just falling down a bit too easily of my ears when I lay down on the side)
-> BT receiver iFi Go Blu (a quite nice replacement after more than one year using the Quedelix 5K) though it's not totally background hiss free when music is at an ultra low volume level or on pause. But with a 9 hours battery life with IE 900 at a realistic volume level (5/6 hours with Qudelix) both with no DSP activated as I use Wavelet PEQ+DSP.
-> a magnetic DdHiFi C10B fixed with a ultra-thin double side tape to be able to clip the BT receiver on my shirt (like the Qudelix 5K)
-> a correct and comfortable (almost microphonics noise free) 50cm balanced 26AWG 152 Core Silver Plated cable with IE900 MMCX connectors an a 2.5mm plug. I will replace this cable with a 4.4mm to avoid the too bulky ddHifi DJ44 (2.5mm to 4.4mm adapter)... Unfortunately, I couldn't find a less than 50 cm cable with specific IE900 MMCX connectors.

IE900 Ifi Go Blu.jpg

Last edited:
Jan 5, 2022 at 5:30 AM Post #2,928 of 4,891
I feel that the IE900 is meant to be a shallow insert in the ears. If it gets pushed too deep, my ears feel uncomfortable and sometimes hurting after extended listening session. I am using the stock medium silicone.

The way how I push it in is to not push directly on the body of IE900 but on the memory cable that is over my ears. I make sure they fit nicely over my ears and then just give a small push on the IE900 body. I don’t know if you guys understand the way I explained it haha. I always get a good seal this way and it is very comfortable.

Edit: when I adjust and push the memory cable to make it sit flush against my ears, the IE900 will be in the ear canal already. So it only needs a slight push.
This is also a great tip!
I also do this and it prevents the mistake I made when I first got mine.
I always tried to align them as the promo pictures did (logo perfectly aligned) but I actually need it to sit more angled and this trick helps with that!

Jan 5, 2022 at 6:48 AM Post #2,929 of 4,891
This is also a great tip!
I also do this and it prevents the mistake I made when I first got mine.
I always tried to align them as the promo pictures did (logo perfectly aligned) but I actually need it to sit more angled and this trick helps with that!
Now that you mentioned it, I googled the image and actually saw the model wearing the IE900 quite shallow in his ears. I can almost see the silicone tip there.

It is how I use it as well but a little bit more angled too so the IE900 is not touching my auricle/pinna.

Jan 5, 2022 at 7:09 AM Post #2,930 of 4,891
Now that you mentioned it, I googled the image and actually saw the model wearing the IE900 quite shallow in his ears. I can almost see the silicone tip there.

It is how I use it as well but a little bit more angled too so the IE900 is not touching my auricle/pinna.
I find these descriptions quite difficult to picture, personally, so here's a pic of my IE 900 fit. Not sure how it compares to anyone else's, but as you can see it almost perfectly folows the shape of my out ear cavity, with the inside face of the earpiece sitting comfortably flat inside and nestled against my outer ear. This with AET07 M- tips. After 5-10 minutes I can hardly feel them in my ears.

IE900fit.jpg

Jan 5, 2022 at 10:14 AM Post #2,931 of 4,891
Further to the post above, I just tried the spacer mod. Using M silicone tips pushed fully inside my ear, no seal, no bass. Using a shallow fit with the earpieces pushed away from my outer ear, better seal but still too 'thin' for my liking. That settles it - AET07 pushed in gives me the best seal, sound and comfort with IE 900.

PSX_20220105_171056.jpg

Last edited:
Jan 5, 2022 at 1:46 PM Post #2,932 of 4,891
I find these descriptions quite difficult to picture, personally, so here's a pic of my IE 900 fit. Not sure how it compares to anyone else's, but as you can see it almost perfectly folows the shape of my out ear cavity, with the inside face of the earpiece sitting comfortably flat inside and nestled against my outer ear. This with AET07 M- tips. After 5-10 minutes I can hardly feel them in my ears.

That is a very very different fit than the two ways I wear mine. XD

In this post earlier: https://www.head-fi.org/threads/sen...ments-harman-target-talk.957709/post-16526391

Like being said just now, the less deep fit sounded better.

The deeper fit is actually more bloomy/bloated for me. Though I imagine the deep fit would be a good fit for EQing.

Last edited:
Jan 5, 2022 at 2:48 PM Post #2,933 of 4,891
Personnally I use my custom silicon tips from Custom Art but the ADV Eartune Fidelity on order will be even better I think

1641412097982.png

Jan 5, 2022 at 7:13 PM Post #2,935 of 4,891
Jan 5, 2022 at 10:54 PM Post #2,936 of 4,891
I had the IE 900 for two weeks, with over 150 hours. They are so aaamaaazing! Not only do they sound great, they are so light and comfortable. The IE 900 is so good that I sold my other IEMs, including the Campfire Audio Polaris II, Dorado 2020, Solaris 2020, and gave my UM Mest II to my dad. All of these IEMs are excellent in certain areas or genres of music, but I feel the IE 900 is the best all-rounder across the board, from musical qualities to comfort. I started this as brief impressions, but it ended up writing a lot more than I though :sweat_smile:

I’m using the Sony WM1A (MrWalkman custom firmware Dawn Plus). DSEE AI on, DC Phase Linearizer Type B Low, low gain, 4.4mm balanced output.

The bass
The IE 900 has the best bass I’ve heard in an IEM. It goes deep when needed, but doesn’t artificially make every bass note deep and big. They are clean, detailed, and beautifully textured. The same goes for bass quantity; there is plenty of it, but only when the music has it, and never interferes with the lower-mids and mids. The bass quality reminds me of my home stereo system (PSAudio DirectStream Jr DAC, Octave V70SE tube integrated amp, Dynaudio Contour S3.4 speakers).

The mids
So beautiful, articulate, and detailed. Both female and male vocals come through strong and natural; never shouty or thin. The small details of familiar singers’ voices come through better and has better textures without overwhelming my ears with too much details. They are much more natural than other IEMs I’ve heard.

The highs
Extended and very smooth. Silky smooth. Some burn-in (either the IEMs or my ears or brain) is needed for the treble to shine. Initially, they seemed bright, even when using foam tips. After about 100 hours, they calmed down and became well extended and smooth. Instruments sound natural and non-fatiguing. This is important for me because I use IEMs when I work, so don’t like IEMs with distracting and fatiguing treble.

Soundstage and imaging
Both the soundstage and imaging are very beautifully done. The soundstage is moderately wide and deep, with a good amount of height. Sounds extend slightly outside my ears and around my head. What I like is that the soundstage is natural. It’s intimate if the music requires it, and extended if the music has it. More importantly, the soundstage doesn’t extend too far out where it can become unnatural, like an artificial 3D effect. Imaging is excellent. Every instrument and vocal has their own space and music rarely sound crowded. But please keep in mind these are not magical IEMs; poorly recorded/mix/mastered music still has poor soundstage and imaging. I would say the IE 900 presents the soundstage and imaging as they are in the music.

Comfort
One of the most comfortable IEMs I’ve ever had. I can use them throughout my workday and rarely had to take them off or adjust them. I also like how extremely light they are. The comfort and weight don’t distract me from the music, which allows me to get more immersed in it.

The cable
I really like the cable. They are light, hard to tangle, and has a nice neutral color with a slight shimmery look under bright lights. They are more microphonic than other IEM stock cables, and may not be good when you’re using the IE 900 on-the-go. The shirt clip helps a lot. This drawback doesn’t bother to me because I use these in the office or at home.

Accessories and ear tips
Love the small case. The Sennheiser logo on the front looks great. The serial number on the back is a nice touch, and makes me feel special 😊

I’ll write some brief impressions of the ear tips I’ve tried. Keep in mind these are highly subjective (I tend to like sounds can be described as smooth, slightly on the warm side of neutral, and even slightly rolled off highs while retaining airiness). The sound descriptions may not apply to your ears, but hope they will give you an idea of how each tip can change the sound of the IE 900.

Stock ear tips
Out of all the stock ear tips, my favorite is the foam (size S). I like them with the small foams in them, which gives the sound a very slightly smoother treble.
I got a good fit with the medium silicone ear tips with a shallow insertion. I was not able to get a seal with the small or large sizes no matter the kind of depth of insertion.
+ Light and airy sound.
+ Excellent detailed and deep bass.
+ Very extended highs.
+ Very comfortable. They seem to just sit in my ear and doesn’t exert much pressure.
– Poor isolation (this can be plus if, for example, you’re working in the office and need to hear colleagues when they try to get your attention).
– The highs can get fatiguing for long sessions with poorly recorded music, but it’s fine with well recorded music.

I got a good fit with the small foam ear tips. The medium and large sizes put too much pressure in my ear canals, resulting in discomfort after about 15 minutes.
+ Full bodied sound.
+ Deep bass (but not as detailed as the silicone tips and can sound muddy with bass-heavy music).
+ Fuller sound, especially great for vocals.
+ Very comfortable. Slight pressure but never got uncomfortable.
+ Good isolation.
– Slightly rolled off highs (can be a plus because they are more forgiving of poorly recorded music, and good for long listening sessions).

Third-party ear tips
My favorites are the Final E (size S). I also like the Symbio F (size S).
Final E
+ Deep and bold bass with nice textures (but not as detailed as the stock silicone tips).
+ Full mids (much fuller than the stock silicone tips).
+ Smooth highs (need to have a deep insertion, otherwise the treble rolls off too much and you lose sparkle and air).
+ More body across the board.
+ Comfortable for long sessions.
– Slightly rolled off highs, but can be a plus because it’s more forgiving with poorly recorded music.

Symbio F
+ Detailed mids.
+ Great highs for foam tips; only slightly rolled off (less roll off compared to the stock foam tips).
+ Comfortable.
– Mids can sound grainy depending on the music.
– Bass doesn’t go as deep and there’s less of it.

Campfire Audio Marshmallow
+ Comfortable.
+ Forgiving sound for modern pop music.
– Rolled off bass and treble.

Symbio W Peel
+ Comfortable
+ Great bass quantity, but I not as textured as the stock silicone or Final E tips.
+ Smooth mids
– Treble doesn’t sound natural.

Azla SednaLight (regular and short versions)
– Easy to lose the seal in my ears.
– Bass sounds strange. I can’t put my finger on what it is.
– Highs can be fatiguing with modern music. More so with the short version.

Spiral Dot ++ and Spiral Dot regular
+ Comfortable
– Diffused imaging. No solid center image. The vocals are too spread out.

Spinfit 145
+ Comfortable
– Muddy bass and midrange

(Photos have the Symbio F ear tips because the orange color looks great in photos :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:)
sennheiser ie900 vs sony ier z1r what is better?

Jan 5, 2022 at 10:56 PM Post #2,937 of 4,891
I had the IE 900 for two weeks, with over 150 hours. They are so aaamaaazing! Not only do they sound great, they are so light and comfortable. The IE 900 is so good that I sold my other IEMs, including the Campfire Audio Polaris II, Dorado 2020, Solaris 2020, and gave my UM Mest II to my dad. All of these IEMs are excellent in certain areas or genres of music, but I feel the IE 900 is the best all-rounder across the board, from musical qualities to comfort. I started this as brief impressions, but it ended up writing a lot more than I though :sweat_smile:

I’m using the Sony WM1A (MrWalkman custom firmware Dawn Plus). DSEE AI on, DC Phase Linearizer Type B Low, low gain, 4.4mm balanced output.

The bass
The IE 900 has the best bass I’ve heard in an IEM. It goes deep when needed, but doesn’t artificially make every bass note deep and big. They are clean, detailed, and beautifully textured. The same goes for bass quantity; there is plenty of it, but only when the music has it, and never interferes with the lower-mids and mids. The bass quality reminds me of my home stereo system (PSAudio DirectStream Jr DAC, Octave V70SE tube integrated amp, Dynaudio Contour S3.4 speakers).

The mids
So beautiful, articulate, and detailed. Both female and male vocals come through strong and natural; never shouty or thin. The small details of familiar singers’ voices come through better and has better textures without overwhelming my ears with too much details. They are much more natural than other IEMs I’ve heard.

The highs
Extended and very smooth. Silky smooth. Some burn-in (either the IEMs or my ears or brain) is needed for the treble to shine. Initially, they seemed bright, even when using foam tips. After about 100 hours, they calmed down and became well extended and smooth. Instruments sound natural and non-fatiguing. This is important for me because I use IEMs when I work, so don’t like IEMs with distracting and fatiguing treble.

Soundstage and imaging
Both the soundstage and imaging are very beautifully done. The soundstage is moderately wide and deep, with a good amount of height. Sounds extend slightly outside my ears and around my head. What I like is that the soundstage is natural. It’s intimate if the music requires it, and extended if the music has it. More importantly, the soundstage doesn’t extend too far out where it can become unnatural, like an artificial 3D effect. Imaging is excellent. Every instrument and vocal has their own space and music rarely sound crowded. But please keep in mind these are not magical IEMs; poorly recorded/mix/mastered music still has poor soundstage and imaging. I would say the IE 900 presents the soundstage and imaging as they are in the music.

Comfort
One of the most comfortable IEMs I’ve ever had. I can use them throughout my workday and rarely had to take them off or adjust them. I also like how extremely light they are. The comfort and weight don’t distract me from the music, which allows me to get more immersed in it.

The cable
I really like the cable. They are light, hard to tangle, and has a nice neutral color with a slight shimmery look under bright lights. They are more microphonic than other IEM stock cables, and may not be good when you’re using the IE 900 on-the-go. The shirt clip helps a lot. This drawback doesn’t bother to me because I use these in the office or at home.

Accessories and ear tips
Love the small case. The Sennheiser logo on the front looks great. The serial number on the back is a nice touch, and makes me feel special 😊

I’ll write some brief impressions of the ear tips I’ve tried. Keep in mind these are highly subjective (I tend to like sounds can be described as smooth, slightly on the warm side of neutral, and even slightly rolled off highs while retaining airiness). The sound descriptions may not apply to your ears, but hope they will give you an idea of how each tip can change the sound of the IE 900.

Stock ear tips
Out of all the stock ear tips, my favorite is the foam (size S). I like them with the small foams in them, which gives the sound a very slightly smoother treble.
I got a good fit with the medium silicone ear tips with a shallow insertion. I was not able to get a seal with the small or large sizes no matter the kind of depth of insertion.
+ Light and airy sound.
+ Excellent detailed and deep bass.
+ Very extended highs.
+ Very comfortable. They seem to just sit in my ear and doesn’t exert much pressure.
– Poor isolation (this can be plus if, for example, you’re working in the office and need to hear colleagues when they try to get your attention).
– The highs can get fatiguing for long sessions with poorly recorded music, but it’s fine with well recorded music.

I got a good fit with the small foam ear tips. The medium and large sizes put too much pressure in my ear canals, resulting in discomfort after about 15 minutes.
+ Full bodied sound.
+ Deep bass (but not as detailed as the silicone tips and can sound muddy with bass-heavy music).
+ Fuller sound, especially great for vocals.
+ Very comfortable. Slight pressure but never got uncomfortable.
+ Good isolation.
– Slightly rolled off highs (can be a plus because they are more forgiving of poorly recorded music, and good for long listening sessions).

Third-party ear tips
My favorites are the Final E (size S). I also like the Symbio F (size S).
Final E
+ Deep and bold bass with nice textures (but not as detailed as the stock silicone tips).
+ Full mids (much fuller than the stock silicone tips).
+ Smooth highs (need to have a deep insertion, otherwise the treble rolls off too much and you lose sparkle and air).
+ More body across the board.
+ Comfortable for long sessions.
– Slightly rolled off highs, but can be a plus because it’s more forgiving with poorly recorded music.

Symbio F
+ Detailed mids.
+ Great highs for foam tips; only slightly rolled off (less roll off compared to the stock foam tips).
+ Comfortable.
– Mids can sound grainy depending on the music.
– Bass doesn’t go as deep and there’s less of it.

Campfire Audio Marshmallow
+ Comfortable.
– Rolled off bass and treble.

Symbio W Peel
+ Comfortable
+ Great bass quantity, but I not as textured as the stock silicone or Final E tips.
+ Smooth mids
– Treble doesn’t sound natural.

Azla SednaLight (regular and short versions)
– Easy to lose the seal in my ears.
– Bass sounds strange. I can’t put my finger on what it is.
– Highs can be fatiguing with modern music. More so with the short version.

Spiral Dot ++ and Spiral Dot regular
+ Comfortable
– Diffused imaging. No solid center image. The vocals are too spread out.

Spinfit 145
+ Comfortable
– Muddy bass and midrange

(Photos have the Symbio F ear tips because the orange color looks great in photos :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:)
what is better with sony ier z1r

Jan 6, 2022 at 12:36 AM Post #2,938 of 4,891

what is better with sony ier z1r

I've never tried the Sony IER-Z1R. The only other IEMs I had a chance to compare with the IE900 are mentioned in the first paragraph of my review; Campfire Audio Polaris II, Dorado 2020, Solaris 2020, and UM Mest II.

Some other members here may have heard both IE900 and IER-Z1R and can better assist you.

Last edited:
Jan 6, 2022 at 1:31 AM Post #2,939 of 4,891
I have both. They each serve a different use case for me. Personally I find Z1R is a step up from IE 900 in technicalities, and I also prefer some aspects of its sound (mids and treble quality). Both fit well but IE 900 is the king of IEM comfort for me. I can wear them all day and move about with them, even sleep with them, whereas Z1R is comfortable as long as I'm not moving around too much. I use IE 900 as an everyday listen, and Z1R for more focused listens less often. They have complementary tunings that sound good with everything.

Jan 6, 2022 at 2:09 AM Post #2,940 of 4,891
I have both. They each serve a different use case for me. Personally I find Z1R is a step up from IE 900 in technicalities, and I also prefer some aspects of its sound (mids and treble quality). Both fit well but IE 900 is the king of IEM comfort for me. I can wear them all day and move about with them, even sleep with them, whereas Z1R is comfortable as long as I'm not moving around too much. I use IE 900 as an everyday listen, and Z1R for more focused listens less often. They have complementary tunings that sound good with everything.
I perfectly agree with this, though, I can't use my IER Z1R as one driver is broken for a few months now.

But, I don't buy a new Z1R now as, the gap between the Z1R and the IE900 is not really significant... I am more wondering, if a Vision Ears EXT with a more sophisticated tech involved, can be a little step up from the IER-Z1R and make a nice "couple" with the IE900 as the Senn will remain my most compact easy to use IEM (even when sleeping) with a very impressive sound quality (assuming some little PEQ in the mids are applied via Wavelet).

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back