Sennheiser IE900 Review, Measurements, & Harman Target Talk
Sep 17, 2021 at 2:59 AM Post #2,342 of 4,806
I'm lucky enough to get on very well with the included tips.

For anyone who own's both these and the TW V1's, the ie900 tips fit these very well too and for me the fit is perfect. Its the first time I've been able to wear the TW for more than an hour without some discomfort somewhere in one ear or both.

20210917_075027.jpg

Sep 17, 2021 at 7:04 AM Post #2,343 of 4,806
Guess I'm one of the few who returned them. 30 day return window is a nice offer to make up your mind. For me it was not worth the huge price jump over my IE300. I needed to EQ both, the IE300 a bit more. Despite the refined tuning I just don't felt much of a improvement in technicalities.

Last edited:
Sep 17, 2021 at 7:23 AM Post #2,344 of 4,806
Guess I'm one of the few who returned them. 30 day return window is a nice offer to make up your mind. For me it was not worth the huge price jump over my IE300. I needed to EQ both, the IE300 a bit more. Despite the refined tuning I just don't felt much of a improvement in technicalities.
This is super interesting. I had the IE300 first and while they are great for the price i found them to be incredible far behind after hearing the IE900. The tuning felt more matching for an allrounder IEM and especially bass and trebble felt like a complete different realm to me. The amount of precision in the stage they deliver also felt night and day. Mids were the only thing actually being similar.
In general i feel like IE300 is more for the basshead IEM fans because while it lacks a bit in precision and response of the IE900s bass the tuning really emphasizes it in a lot of tracks while still retaining a good amount of quality in a way that would be hard to come by in the price bracket
But this is all subjective and a perfect showing why you should still try IEMs if possible before buying.

Sep 17, 2021 at 7:33 AM Post #2,345 of 4,806
I agree on the difference in tuning and the IE900 being far better tuned. But once you start using EQ on the IE300 (mostly reducing bass bloat and warmth, and adding more middle mids) the differences were mostly in the more refined treble of the IE900. (But still too hot in quantity) I can understand if one is not into EQ, the IE900 might be worth it.

Last edited:
Sep 17, 2021 at 7:45 AM Post #2,346 of 4,806
This is super interesting. I had the IE300 first and while they are great for the price i found them to be incredible far behind after hearing the IE900. The tuning felt more matching for an allrounder IEM and especially bass and trebble felt like a complete different realm to me. The amount of precision in the stage they deliver also felt night and day. Mids were the only thing actually being similar.
In general i feel like IE300 is more for the basshead IEM fans because while it lacks a bit in precision and response of the IE900s bass the tuning really emphasizes it in a lot of tracks while still retaining a good amount of quality in a way that would be hard to come by in the price bracket
But this is all subjective and a perfect showing why you should still try IEMs if possible before buying.
What if you didnt try the 900 then you would be enjoying the 300.

Sep 17, 2021 at 7:46 AM Post #2,347 of 4,806
Nah its really not about EQ for me. I tried everything but you can just hear how the IE300 is lacking in terms of Staging, precision and general quality in trebble and bass. You can make the IE300 better with EQ yes but putting it even close to the IE900 just isnt possible imho.
There isnt an Equalizer for the quality of a headphone.

What if you didnt try the 900 then you would be enjoying the 300.
I can still enjoy them dont get me wrong. But with things like this its just normal that you will enjoy something far more until you saw or heard better. You probably would enjoy headphones included with a phone if you never heard something better.

Sep 17, 2021 at 8:21 AM Post #2,348 of 4,806
I can still enjoy them dont get me wrong. But with things like this its just normal that you will enjoy something far more until you saw or heard better. You probably would enjoy headphones included with a phone if you never heard something better.
So soon you will try newer iems and the pattern will continue.

Sep 17, 2021 at 8:23 AM Post #2,349 of 4,806
And you could call that "enjoying the music"...

Sep 17, 2021 at 9:02 AM Post #2,350 of 4,806
Also for many people, good is good enough, and the extra cash for what they consider 'small' improvements is not worth the outlay. This gets more and more pronounced as you climb the quality (and cost) ladder.

The IE 300, in my experience, is definitely good enough for most consumers - and better than many wired (and almost all wireless) IEMs at this price point (it you enjoy the tuning). But the IE 900 is in a completely different class of IEM that I consider TOTL/reference, both tonally and technically. Whether or not you notice the differences, or value them for the extra cost, is another matter entirely.

Sep 17, 2021 at 9:04 AM Post #2,351 of 4,806
Also for many people, good is good enough, and the extra cash for what they consider 'small' improvements is not worth the outlay. This gets more and more pronounced as you climb the quality (and cost) ladder.

The IE 300, in my experience, is definitely good enough for most consumers - and better than many wired (and almost all wireless) IEMs at this price point (it you enjoy the tuning). But the IE 900 is in a completely different class of IEM that I consider TOTL/reference, both tonally and technically. Whether or not you notice the differences, or value them for the extra cost, is another matter entirely.
This is exactly what i think as well

Sep 17, 2021 at 6:15 PM Post #2,352 of 4,806
@Scuba Devils I know you just got some Crystals for the Bird. Have you tried them with the IE 900? Curious how they compare to the AET07 in sound and comfort.

Trying them now - yeah I think a bit harsh on IE900. I tried for a few minutes, sounded good at first but a sense of fatigue started to kick in... switched to AE07, warmer and much fuller sound - obvious difference (which I don't always immediately notice when tip rolling) and much better for my taste.

Meant to say re IE900 vs Traillii - for musical enjoyment, I'd still say a tough battle for me to choose one over the other. Traillii clearly beats IE900 on technical performance and stage but a close call on the all important overall listening pleasure and emotional connection. IE900 really is serious bang for buck in that regard!

Sep 18, 2021 at 2:21 AM Post #2,353 of 4,806
Trying them now - yeah I think a bit harsh on IE900. I tried for a few minutes, sounded good at first but a sense of fatigue started to kick in... switched to AE07, warmer and much fuller sound - obvious difference (which I don't always immediately notice when tip rolling) and much better for my taste.

Meant to say re IE900 vs Traillii - for musical enjoyment, I'd still say a tough battle for me to choose one over the other. Traillii clearly beats IE900 on technical performance and stage but a close call on the all important overall listening pleasure and emotional connection. IE900 really is serious bang for buck in that regard!
Thanks, that saves me a few quid on trying to fix something that's not broken 🙏🏻

Sep 18, 2021 at 1:36 PM Post #2,355 of 4,806
I decided to manually remove the bendable but painful inner wire right before the MMCX connector. The cable now feels much better ergonomic-wise.
How hard/easy is it to do?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back