Sennheiser IE900 Review, Measurements, & Harman Target Talk
Sep 14, 2021 at 1:19 PM Post #2,327 of 4,836
Second day with my IE900.. just if someone is counting S/N 003xxx.

Out of the box I was sightly disappointed in the "Made in Germany" finish with some excessive glue coming out of the left IEM (I already saw the same problem earlier in this thread..) but I fixed this by myself quite quickly. At least I know they didn't go cheap on the glue quantity.. :ksc75smile:
Apart from the glue.. their size/shape fits my ear perfectly, and I have good seal with a lot of different tips, truly amazing. I can see why a lot of people complain about the cables, microphonics is bad, but the fact that you get 3 different cables with the 3 major plug options with them is really something else. I think the cable is not that bad, you just have to get used to it. One weird thing about the cables.. when you attach the R and L IEMs correctly the Sennheiser logo on the cable is facing my chest instead of outwards... are mine a mistake or this is normal? If it is supposed to be like this I would really like to know the reasoning behind it. Sennheiser in my heart? :ksc75smile:

Sound-wise, first impression was not a wow, which is very good as every IEM that wowed me started to get boring quite quickly and I got rid of them. They are technically quite capable and do exactly what you expect a 1.000+ USD IEM should do. Bass/Sub Bass is literally amazing, probably one of the best I ever heard in an IEM, not talking about quantity.. but quality. Midrange is on par, as expected. My old ears can already hear why some younger generations might find the treble a bit sparky, it is borderline for me, literally walking on the edge.. but this can also be a good thing with great recordings.
But not to make this post too long.. if I can only use two words to describe them I would choose musical (very much so) and coherent (maybe because it is a 1dd.. but still I heard 1dd that were not coherent to my ears..).

Currently I prefer the Symbio W Peel (but this might be because I'm used to them with the U18t.. should do some more tip rolling in the following days, JVC Spiral Dots are also quite good).

Just to answer quickly my own question earlier in the thread.. for now I like better the synergy with Hugo 2 than SP1000Cu+Amp. Maybe time will change this, it's too early to tell..

All in all, I already think these are keepers, and I'm really happy as I always wanted something from Sennheiser for the long run.

Sep 14, 2021 at 2:48 PM Post #2,328 of 4,836
One weird thing about the cables.. when you attach the R and L IEMs correctly the Sennheiser logo on the cable is facing my chest instead of outwards... are mine a mistake or this is normal? If it is supposed to be like this I would really like to know the reasoning behind it. Sennheiser in my heart? :ksc75smile:
Mine too I assume they are all the same.

On other iem's the logo is that way round because if the cable is worn down the back of the head/neck then the logo is on the outside, not sure if that's why Sennheiser did it this way on the ie900 though?

Sep 14, 2021 at 3:14 PM Post #2,329 of 4,836
Mine too I assume they are all the same.

On other iem's the logo is that way round because if the cable is worn down the back of the head/neck then the logo is on the outside, not sure if that's why Sennheiser did it this way on the ie900 though?

Also there is a bump on the left connectors to orientate the cable before connecting but the right side hasn't.

Last edited:
Sep 14, 2021 at 3:18 PM Post #2,330 of 4,836
Also there is a bump on the right connectors to orientate the cable but the left side hasn't.
only have a bump on the left cable and left iem. Is for blind people i guess.

Since I checked for the dots on the iem and cable I also found that my left iem has some excessive glue around the black ring of the mmcx connector.
Dont understand how this passes the quality control checks @Sennheiser . Would expect this with some fake iems.

Sep 14, 2021 at 4:19 PM Post #2,331 of 4,836
I found a weird problem. I never had metallic earbuds before but with the IE900 i get electric discharge when sitting on my office chair. Its an Embody (non gaming) and i had static discharge problems every now and then but with such sensitive headphones i hear it every time i stand up. Also my right audio channel stopped working for a second on the DAC because of one specificly strong discharge until i removed the headphones for a few seconds. Any recommendation what i could do to prevent the static problem? Unfortunately i have fixed carpet in my room and already use a antistatic underlay for my chair. Kinda worried i could break the Headphones or Dac with this.

Sep 14, 2021 at 6:23 PM Post #2,332 of 4,836
Replace your swivel chair and its mat with a nice wooden chair. Of course, you’ll have to use your hand to adjust your position. Should prove less static-eee

Last edited:
Sep 15, 2021 at 2:27 PM Post #2,333 of 4,836
I just switched from medium foam tips to large ones and tried to compare my focal clear and IE 900. Simply said, I'm still wondering how Sennheiser could have created something as amazing as this.
To be honest, Focals have better soundstage, but IE 900 have better resolving detail, better dynamics and much more better heights. All in all, I think I'll have to start looking for new full size headphones - any ideas guys? :sweat_smile:

Sep 15, 2021 at 2:36 PM Post #2,334 of 4,836
This is basically my experience. I went to the factory store mainly for the HD800s. Staging was brilliant but then i tried the IE900...
Except the huge soundstage (precision i even like more on the IE900 but the size of the stage is smaller) these just blew them out of the water.
I dont know how Sennheiser has done it but they truly created endgame level with these and even if the price looks ridicolous at first for the spec sheet after you tried them it feels more like a good deal then anything else.

Sep 16, 2021 at 12:14 PM Post #2,339 of 4,836
Has anyone tried ALO / Campfire Audio cables with the IE900 / 300 and can confirm if it fits? I am looking to buy a pair of 300's to use for out and about and need a balanced cable.
ALO / Campfire Audio cables will not work because of the sleeve/RL indicators on the IE900.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back