Sennheiser IE80's Impressions Thread
Dec 29, 2012 at 7:56 PM Post #3,946 of 7,699
Quote:
Hmmm....I thought this thread was about the Sennheiser IE-80's....so why are 'we' dredging up Apple armbands....
confused_face_2.gif
I

I was asking about jogging with the IE80s.

An armband is a nice idea but I am planning on getting the nexus 4 to replace my iPhone!

Dec 30, 2012 at 2:05 PM Post #3,947 of 7,699
Quote:
Are you 100% sure that these are genuine? I know that mine are yet the picture of the box you've posted has a couple of major differences to mine. There could, of course, be a perfectly logical explanation for this.

I'm 101% sure that they are genuine. I live in other region, maybe that's why we may have some difference :) Of course you can post pic of your box for comparison :)

You can take a better look in my video:

Actually on head-fi you can find thread about genuine vs fake IE80 :) Here you go:
http://www.head-fi.org/t/609122/anyone-have-tips-on-recognizing-a-fake-ie80#post_8539653

Dec 30, 2012 at 5:28 PM Post #3,948 of 7,699
Quote:
I'm 101% sure that they are genuine. I live in other region, maybe that's why we may have some difference :) Of course you can post pic of your box for comparison :)

You can take a better look in my video:

Actually on head-fi you can find thread about genuine vs fake IE80 :) Here you go:
http://www.head-fi.org/t/609122/anyone-have-tips-on-recognizing-a-fake-ie80#post_8539653

That makes sense, mine were bought from an Australian dealer but were probably sourced as a grey import from somewhere else - possibly Europe. Apart from the sound, the two things that finally convinced me were the two magnetic latches - one on the box and the other inside the silver carrying case.

Dec 31, 2012 at 10:13 AM Post #3,950 of 7,699
Quote:
Not certified dealer + grey import + different box + low price. Eh. High chance of fakes.

WARNING:

Alot of you are missing the most important thing about buying IE80's from ANYWHERE other than a listed by Sennheiser Dealer:

You will have > NO WARRANTY <

Does that matter?
When/if something goes wrong with your IE-80's, which does happen occasionally, it's very nice to get a new pair from Sennheiser which won't be happening if you bought them from anywhere else.

Dec 31, 2012 at 9:42 PM Post #3,951 of 7,699
Quote:
Not certified dealer + grey import + different box + low price. Eh. High chance of fakes.

If you're referring to me then you might have a point, but before I even opened the box I went to the thread dealing with the fake ie80s. I checked every single option and then opened the box. Everything matched up. The final clue was sound quality. I have a great pair of HD580s which I use. I compared the two and for all but orchestral music I preferred the sound quality of the IE80s. It is all there - the tight but solid bass, wide soundstage, smooth treble and excellent midrange. If these are fakes then whoever faked them did an amazing job on the SQ.

I also checked the credentials of the dealer here in Australia before I purchased them and this came up with a very positive result. I didn't get them for a cheap price, maybe about 15% off normal retail. They also gave me a 2 year warranty.

Dec 31, 2012 at 10:17 PM Post #3,952 of 7,699
Quote:
I didn't get them for a cheap price, maybe about 15% off normal retail. They also gave me a 2 year warranty.

Cool....just be sure that the seller/dealer is actually approved by Sennheiser. There is no warranty card in the box.

The typical non-authorized IE-80 seller (read: Ebay) always say that they have a 2 year warranty, but the reality is that Sennheiser ONLY recognizes warranty claims that include a receipt from an 'Authorized' seller/dealer (read: approved by Sennheiser).

Jan 1, 2013 at 7:13 AM Post #3,953 of 7,699
Not worth the risk IMO. 99.9% of the time they will be fakes if not from an authorized dealer. Sorry the truth hurts. The only way you'd know for sure is by comparing them to an actual genuine model :). I know the sound signature like the back of my hand and would easily spot it. Sadly if you are not familiar you will truthfully never know. Vladmir on the other hand will know because the IE80 is very similar to the IE8, just the IE80 is better overall and worth the upgrade IMO (if you can sell the IE8).

Jan 1, 2013 at 8:41 AM Post #3,954 of 7,699
General rule of thumb - avoid ebay volume sellers...they're getting smarter, figuring that quite a lot of folk will not be as suspicious with a smaller discount of 10 to 20% rather than the 50% they've been known to do and of course they make more cash. Positive feedback means nothing on ebay, the majority of folk have no idea as to how they should sound in the first place.

Jan 1, 2013 at 12:53 PM Post #3,955 of 7,699
Quote:
General rule of thumb - avoid ebay volume sellers...they're getting smarter, figuring that quite a lot of folk will not be as suspicious with a smaller discount of 10 to 20% rather than the 50% they've been known to do and of course they make more cash. Positive feedback means nothing on ebay, the majority of folk have no idea as to how they should sound in the first place.

This.

I've seen people put up IE8s at slightly lower than their RRP, stating that they bought their pair a while back but they decided that it was not for them (they'd usually give an excuse like "it was not getting enough use" or "didn't get the right fit").
Sounds legit right?
I checked the feedback of someone doing this and I noticed that they'd sold tons of items that were listed as private (I couldn't see what they'd sold) and I saw that the comments hinted that the buyer had purchased earphones - comments such as "they sound great!! A++" were about.

tl:dr check the feedback comments

Jan 1, 2013 at 8:25 PM Post #3,958 of 7,699
Or simply put they are still expensive yet I think it is much more expensive to buy a product without a 2 year warranty (which is also pretty much guaranteed to be fake).

Jan 2, 2013 at 4:04 AM Post #3,959 of 7,699
 just the IE80 is better overall and worth the upgrade IMO (if you can sell the IE8).

Already SOLD my ie8 11!
I like how IE80 sound and how they look. Waaaaayyyy better design than on IE8.

Jan 4, 2013 at 3:09 AM Post #3,960 of 7,699
http://www.ncix.com/products/?sku=77106&vpn=IE80&manufacture=Sennheiser%20Electronics&promoid=1033

NCIX (authorized dealer in Canada)

is now selling the IE80 for $200 CND.  Just to give you an idea of the cheapest you can find these for (this is CHEAP) but still be genuine.

Bloody hell!! Missed it!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Users who are viewing this thread

Back