Sennheiser IE80's Impressions Thread
Dec 25, 2012 at 8:04 AM Post #3,931 of 7,699
Quote:

It might be real, for all you know, but a bunch of things concern me about the listing; for starters, the 'Item specifics' says: [size=small]Sennheiser, Monster, Sony:[/size][size=small]Beats. [/size]

Additionally, they don't do refunds (in case you learn they're fake), just 7 day returns. The warranty is pitiful at 6 months - a genuine IE80 is covered for two years. If I'm paying over $200 for earphones, I'd like them to last the warranty period. Would I touch them? Not ever. You could take the chance, I suppose. From the real pictures he showed via tinyurl, I don't see any glaring warning signs, but then again they're not very clear.

However, I can suggest an alternative - amazon.de has the IE80 on sale for just 199.90 Euro, or 33% off.[size=x-small] That's about $320 SGD, much less than $590! I bought mine from amazon.de and had them shipped to Australia, and I can reassure you that although your proof of purchase receipt will be in German, the product is totally genuine. I was even able to claim official warranty (2 years) when my cable split after a month of use. It was as simple as a cable swap from the Sennheiser dealer in Australia, and all I had to do was show them the fault and the receipt (German, but still shows the price, source and date of purchase).[/size]

[size=x-small]As Amazon is a Sennheiser authorised dealer, you should be fine buying them for about $100 SGD more from amazon.de. If you want an IE80 for cheap, I'd go there.[/size]

Quote:

Yup, go for the M+ and also perhaps buy a pack of Complys for comparison (no doubt it'd be valuable to the community, as I know I can't really afford to replace Comply tips too often). Whichever fits you better or you prefer, I'd keep using! Good luck.

Hey iztis, I have experienced exactly the same problem, when I was first testing the IE80 to see if the bass knob actually worked. The good news is that it does - at bass level 5 there's an incredible amount of rumble, and there's evidently lots of air being pushed around by the driver... The bad news is that it does cause the driver to flex annoyingly when I insert them.

I listen to my IE80s on bass 2/5 and love them on this setting, but I for one can say my experiences are similar to yours - the bass knob at max results in driver flex. To my knowledge, driver flex does not hurt the IEM at all (if it does, claim warranty asap, but I've never experienced it) - it's just annoying when you insert or remove them. My Monster Turbine Copper Pros do indeed suffer from flex, the MTPC is notorious for driver flex. To this day they sound excellent and are still working fine after six months.

To sort of mitigate the flex with my Coppers, I try to open my mouth slightly when I insert them (it might look silly but I read somewhere it helps reduce pressure, and even if it does nothing it's a bit of a habit now anyway 
etysmile.gif
), and also insert them by twisting. Rather than just pushing them in, I insert them with the strain relief pointing forward, and twist them gently counterclockwise towards the back of my ear as I insert them. Maybe try that? I haven't got many other suggestions for that... 

Thanks dude, go to know that it's not specific to me. Thanks for your tips as well. Appreciate your help!!

Dec 27, 2012 at 11:51 AM Post #3,932 of 7,699
Got a pair of these on boxing day for 199 and im extremely pleased with the purchase. Haven't fiddled with the bass response adjustment yet as I am looking for some threads on impressions on where the dial should be for different genres. It's a huge upgrade over my UE SuperFis and my PFEs [expectedly so] but i'd say its great value at 199 and i'd still be happy probably had I paid the full 499 sticker to be honest but had never had the balls to take the risk that i'd get stuck with them somehow. I don't find the earhooks nearly as comfortable as the ones from my PFEs but overall the ie80s are very comfortable without the hooks and they don't feel like they need them to stay put during workouts [will test that today].

Dec 27, 2012 at 2:50 PM Post #3,933 of 7,699
Congrats, man, 199 is a very good price for these!

About the tunable bass, I tried both min. and max. when I first got them. Now, I have my bass knob on 2 for all genres, as I find it fiddly to continually use the tool, and I worry about wearing the dials on the earpieces out (you have to push the tool into the groove, then turn it slowly). In my experience, changing the sound is best done by other methods - for instance, with electronic, I use EQ, and for acoustic or live jazz, I leave the EQ flat. When I get my amp (just an E11, nothing fancy), I'll probably use the amp's bass switch instead.

I don't tend to use the earhooks since I wear glasses, but I find that the cable is durable and quite secure. Enjoy your IE80s!

Dec 28, 2012 at 2:55 PM Post #3,938 of 7,699
Going to get a pair of these as soon as possible :) :) :)
One thought though, I will be using these in the gym, my iPhone will be in my short pocket whilst I run perhaps putting stress on the cable. Is there any way I could overcome this issue? I could always run with my iPhone in my hand but then I would risk it falling. Hmm..

On another note, how long will the monitors themselves last if I take good care of them? I don't want to pay €200 for something that will break in 2 years.

Damn, another thing, I have small ear canals, what if I can't get any of the tips to fit?

Lastly, how does everyone wear them? I've seen pictures of them being worn hooked around the ear and also ones of them put straight.

Sorry for the bombardment of questions! Thanks!

Dec 28, 2012 at 5:16 PM Post #3,939 of 7,699
Quote:
Going to get a pair of these as soon as possible :) :) :)
One thought though, I will be using these in the gym, my iPhone will be in my short pocket whilst I run perhaps putting stress on the cable. Is there any way I could overcome this issue? I could always run with my iPhone in my hand but then I would risk it falling. Hmm..

On another note, how long will the monitors themselves last if I take good care of them? I don't want to pay €200 for something that will break in 2 years.

Damn, another thing, I have small ear canals, what if I can't get any of the tips to fit?

Lastly, how does everyone wear them? I've seen pictures of them being worn hooked around the ear and also ones of them put straight.

Sorry for the bombardment of questions! Thanks!

1) Depending on how tall you are, the cable length might or might not be sufficient. I'm 174cm tall and I found that the cable is long enough for me to put my DAP into my jeans' pocket while walking without suffering too much microphonics. You may want to consider using the included cable clip.

2) The build quality on these is nothing short of a minitank's. I have been (pretty much) abusing them for the last 1 year and they are still going strong. Be gentle with the cable though. I guess they could easily outlast 3 years if you took generally good care of them.

3) You should be able to choose one that will work in the plethora of packaged tips. They do come in quite some sizes and shapes, but if nothing works then you might have to start looking for a 3rd party ones. The JVC's seem to have gained good reputation.

4) They are designed to be worn by looping the cable around your ears. This normally gives better fit, less microphonics and a more secure seal. You could try swapping the earpieces (left one to right ear and vice versa) if you prefer wearing them downward. Personally I cannot go back to wearing them downward as the fit and the seal are much better with the former style.

Dec 28, 2012 at 5:36 PM Post #3,940 of 7,699
Quote:
1) Depending on how tall you are, the cable length might or might not be sufficient. I'm 174cm tall and I found that the cable is long enough for me to put my DAP into my jeans' pocket while walking without suffering too much microphonics. You may want to consider using the included cable clip.

2) The build quality on these is nothing short of a minitank's. I have been (pretty much) abusing them for the last 1 year and they are still going strong. Be gentle with the cable though. I guess they could easily outlast 3 years if you took generally good care of them.

3) You should be able to choose one that will work in the plethora of packaged tips. They do come in quite some sizes and shapes, but if nothing works then you might have to start looking for a 3rd party ones. The JVC's seem to have gained good reputation.

4) They are designed to be worn by looping the cable around your ears. This normally gives better fit, less microphonics and a more secure seal. You could try swapping the earpieces (left one to right ear and vice versa) if you prefer wearing them downward. Personally I cannot go back to wearing them downward as the fit and the seal are much better with the former style.

Brilliant, thanks for your help! :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back