Sennheiser IE80's Impressions Thread
Jan 7, 2013 at 2:09 PM Post #3,961 of 7,699
Mine arrived today! Yay!
They sound brilliant, but rather fatiguing to be honest, but, like with my DT 990 pro I hope that after burn in that that'll change :)
I am having difficulty getting a fit that I am happy with though, mainly on the right monitor, as someone who has always worn earphones straight down I am finding looping them around my ear rather fiddly, also, I've noticed that if I push the IEMs into my ears I get a much better sound (I'm probably talking about a good isolation - I'm new to this)
I've tried some of the tips to find them all more or less the same, which leads me to think I'm fitting them wrong. What angle should they be put in at?

Thanks guys 
gs1000.gif

Jan 7, 2013 at 2:12 PM Post #3,962 of 7,699
What a difference EQ makes, or should I say, a lack of it. I'll explain.

I was puzzled that using the media player on my PC gave me great instrumental separation for chamber music yet orchestral works sounded rather smeared and muddy. However, when using Spotify Premium this didn't happen which was puzzling as my music files are recorded either in the same 320 kbps as Spotify or higher. Listening to Hotel California from the Hell Freezes Over CD which I bought last weekend, when the hand drum comes in after the spanish guitar intro it sounded distorted and far too bassy. My 160 kbps AAC file sounded much better with this.

Last night, I decided to look at my media player settings. I use JRiver MC17 and I wondered if I was no longer getting a direct digital stream. Looking at the settings I clicked on Equaliser and voila! There it was. I had earlier set the EQ to get the best sound from my HD580s. This included lifting the level settings at 60 hz, 170hz and 310hz. A quick reset to flat levels and my music was transformed. The bass was still strong ( I may have to EQ down a bit for Rock, Trance and dub step) but more importantly the mids were lifted. It was like taking a veil away from the music. But the strangest thing of all was the effect on the highs which had far more sparkle and clarity. I don't understand how changing low and mid bass settings can affect the highs. The real test was playing the third mvt from the Shostakovich 8th symphony. Where before I found it hard to pinpoint solo instruments this was now resolved and I am hearing the IE80 as it really should be.

Jan 7, 2013 at 2:39 PM Post #3,963 of 7,699
Quote:
I was puzzled that using the media player on my PC gave me great instrumental separation for chamber music yet orchestral works sounded rather smeared and muddy.

Unfortunately that's true with the IE80. Not suitable for symphonies and orchestra works with so many instruments and speed. Of course that drum is not IE80's friend. For chamber music IE80 is pretty good because of less instruments (no drum) and slow speed. Also IE80 has very smooth treble which is excellent for the chamber music.

Jan 7, 2013 at 9:45 PM Post #3,964 of 7,699
If you give the tape mod a whirl they gain that needed speed plus be a lot more detailed due to killing the mid bass bloat. Add silver cable to it as well and you have one of the best all-arounder in the $500+ range :wink:. Totally kills the GR07 in all aspects :).

Jan 8, 2013 at 12:40 AM Post #3,968 of 7,699
burtomr should know.  He was a skeptic initially and I convinced him to give the magical silver galaxy cable a try and Studio V and they both worked for him :wink:.

Jan 8, 2013 at 12:50 AM Post #3,969 of 7,699
Man, its been awhile....

So what's this new tape mod everyone speaks of now (if anything similar to the stuff people use to do to the EX90's back in the day around the vent hole to increase bass) ?

Jan 8, 2013 at 1:04 AM Post #3,970 of 7,699
Quote:
Man, its been awhile....

So what's this new tape mod everyone speaks of now (if anything similar to the stuff people use to do to the EX90's back in the day around the vent hole to increase bass) ?

It has been awhile :wink:. I remember your IE7 days :p.

It doesn't increase bass though (well maybe sub bass :wink:. It kills mid bass bloat associated with the IE80. Which lets its mids and treble really shine. Plus it gains speed/prat so it works on all genres quite well after the mod. Sound staging is about the same size still but not artificial due to the mid bass bloat. If the sound stage is large in the track it will be large on the modded IE80. If there's lots of bass, there will be lots of bass on the IE80. So its truer to the source after the mod. I feel it becomes a mid-centric IEM to be honest. I also noticed after a few days of keeping the mod in place bass impact really increased. I'm talking some serious slam! Definitely no longer a laid-back IEM with the mod in place. Add silver cable to it and it becomes even more apparent (quite balanced IMO).

Jan 8, 2013 at 1:17 AM Post #3,971 of 7,699
Quote:

It has been awhile :wink:. I remember your IE7 days :p.

LOL! Been so long, I still have them don't think I'll be letting them go ever even though my listening time has been primarily with my headphones. Heck I still got my IE8's with that Silver Galaxy cable you recommended back in the IE8 appreciation thread. 

It doesn't increase bass though (well maybe sub bass :wink:. It kills mid bass bloat associated with the IE80. Which lets its mids and treble really shine. Plus it gains speed/prat so it works on all genres quite well after the mod. Sound staging is about the same size still but not artificial due to the mid bass bloat. If the sound stage is large in the track it will be large on the modded IE80. If there's lots of bass, there will be lots of bass on the IE80. So its truer to the source after the mod. I feel it becomes a mid-centric IEM to be honest. I also noticed after a few days of keeping the mod in place bass impact really increased. I'm talking some serious slam! Definitely no longer a laid-back IEM with the mod in place. Add silver cable to it and it becomes even more apparent (quite balanced IMO).

Sounds alright, any picture's? or process how to do it? I think I might give me IE8's one more last go before I confirm to them up for sale as I recently landed myself some Vintage Stax SR-001's and they sound so good or probably I just really like the Stax sound signature. Not to mention I lost my ES5's and it hasn't been the same since.

Jan 8, 2013 at 1:20 AM Post #3,972 of 7,699
Quote:
LOL! Been so long, I still have them don't think I'll be letting them go ever even though my listening time has been primarily with my headphones. Heck I still got my IE8's with that Silver Galaxy cable you recommended back in the IE8 appreciation thread. 

Sounds alright, any picture's? or process how to do it? I think I might give me IE8's one more last go before I confirm to them up for sale as I recently landed myself some Vintage Stax SR-001's and they sound so good or probably I just really like the Stax sound signature. Not to mention I lost my ES5's and it hasn't been the same since.

Simple. Just put a small piece of tape over the bass adjuster screws and that is it. :p. Once I got accustomed to the sound. Give or take a couple hours and tried going back to stock. It sounded just awful. Seriously. Such a huge difference between stock and modded. Treble and mids are veiled big time due to the mid bass bloat. Once you kill the mid bass bloat the IEM really can shows its technical ability. The bass it retains is purely focused on sub bass instead of mid bass. There is still mid bass of course but not much in comparison to sub bass which is fine with me.

Try run them in for a few days and see if the bass impact increases because I felt it seriously did. I noticed before the IE80s didn't excel on fast pace tracks. Stuff like dubstep with lots of stuff going on. It would sound slow and congested. After the mod it just eats it up lol. The best all-arounder IEM I've heard in the $500 dollar range I feel. It just handles most genres without doing much wrong at all. Honestly can't really fault it and that is what makes it such a good IEM. Its not a boutique type IEM that just caters to certain genres and absolutely fails on others.

Jan 8, 2013 at 1:49 AM Post #3,973 of 7,699
That's all? I'll definitely need to give it a shot tonight. Come to think of it the bass adjuster may act as a adjustable open chamber type of thing to allow certain amount of air into the housing.

Jan 8, 2013 at 1:50 AM Post #3,974 of 7,699
Quote:
That's all? I definitely need to give it a shot tonight. Come to think of it the bass adjuster may act as a adjustable open chamber type of thing to allow certain amount of air into the housing.

That is exactly what it is :wink:. But it never fully closes even on the lowest setting.

Jan 8, 2013 at 9:17 AM Post #3,975 of 7,699
Hi guys, first post here.
I just got my ie80 today from RazorDog Deals. So far I am very happy with the sound. Compare to W4 I used to listen before, they have much better bass. I am using Complay T500 tips with them.
It's plugged into HP-P1 Amp-Dac and sounds amazing.
I have a couple to questions to you guys:
1. When I got the package, the Senn box wasn't shrink wraped. Is it how it has to be?
2. Which aftermarket cable I should buy: not very expensive but not cheap eather? I can shell about $200 for it.
3. Are any foam long tips on the market which fit ie80s?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back